Bose 901 VI

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roc,

Is this a crusade perchance?

I think you need to chill a little. We are, after all, only discussing a model of loudspeaker. Interesting 2nd set of reviews you posted - thanks for that.

One of the things I value on this forum is the right to be wrong - I do not plan to give it up readily.

Not a crusade, just an easy subject to comment on.

When I buy speakers I buy them for life. So this is why I have what may appear to some, to be "strong feelings" on the subject.

Since I buy speakers for life, I cannot afford to make a mistake when it comes to speaker selection.

Plus I care so much about you and Erik, I don't want to see you be disappointed or make a mistake. Just looking out for you guys.

The Definitive answer ...

although Who, and I don't alway's agee ...

I belive we stand shoulder to shoulder on this ......

901's .... are in No Way ... a High Fidelity speaker ....

and no amount of fond talk can justify them as anything but ......DRECK [*-)]

Treat us to some of that "fond talk" Duke.

One of the things I value on this forum is the right to be wrong - I do not plan to give it up readily.

You have fulfilled your own prophecy.

Boy he sure does use that right a lot!!! :)

I just love wthe 901 except with a good horn.

Colossians 3:1

Roy

This post is worth re-reading given the discussion. My italics added for emphasis.

On 3/6/07 klipschguy101 said:

As some of you in this forum know, I recently struggled with whether to purchase and thereafter stop from returning a new pair of Klipsch Heresy IIIs. After living with a thirty year old memory of Heresys I heard but couldn't afford, I purchased some on line in an impulsive moment. For the next several weeks I struggled with the prudence of the whim and received helpful input from many members of this forum. Thanks for all the advice, again.

In the meantime, I read with great interest the controversy about the Heritage line of speakers, particularly the Heresy (witness the disparate views expressed by "thermalup" and the responses to his postings - "Heresy - not for me."). After my speakers arrived in the mail several days ago, I feel like I personally ran the gamut from Klipsch fan, to foe, and back again. Because of that, I feel like I might have a different perspective than many who are either unfamiliar or far more familiar these speakers than I. For what its worth, at the risk of preaching to the choir, here's the aural observations of a new Klipsch owner:

The Heresy IIIs (I have never heard the larger Heritage line) leave little margin for error. Because they are so loud, and so crisp, anything "wrong" with the music becomes obvious immediately. They remind me somehow of a camera with fine lenses, whose images are so sharp that anything out of focus is truly undeniable. When these speakers are out of focus, they are not just bad, they are annoying. Most cheap speakers can create unrealistic sounding music. These speakers can create noise. Loud noise.

And they are not particularly "accurate" as that term is typically defined. Part of the "magic" of the studio is to try to create the impression of a sound stage by careful manipulation during production. Many "high-end" speakers can recreate the subtle nuances of this production. Some are simply scary. A Magnepan reproduces the breaths taken in the millisecond before Miles Davis blows out a run of sixteenth notes so well we know if he had a cold. And we can hear Eric Clapton's fingers slip from chord to chord so well on a pair of Martin-Logans that know if he needed a manicure.

We have come to call the reproduction of these studio details "accurate." And we feel justified in this view by pointing to the charts showing "flat" frequency response. After all, its scientifically objective, right?

And its true. Klipsch Heresys do not produce the same discernable separation between instruments or quite the sound stage as some.

But then, you know what? Neither does a band.

Close your eyes the next time you are listening to live music and see if you can tell exactly where a guitar is positioned, or the drums, or the voices. In my experience, the sound you hear at a concert is chiefly coming directly from one or both of two large stacks of speakers (which, I might add, typically are replete with horns) and indirectly from numerous sound reflecting surfaces (the recreation of which is, of course, the idea behind Bose products). And the same holds true for most non-amplified concerts. The sound you hear from an orchestra is largely just as ambient (non-focused), unless you have the pricey seats close enough to the concert mistress to see up her skirt. A jazz concert, with brass and woodwind instruments capable of focused sound projection, has some natural sound "staging." But that's the exception. (And, as we all well know, the Heresys actually image those instruments quite well anyway). Any "staging" that we "hear" at a real concert is usually in our heads, created by the image we see of where a performer is standing on the stage. A "sound stage" is really an artificial creation of the studio intended to give the impression of a live performance. So a speaker's ability to recreate this doesn't necessarily make it more "accurate" compared to a live performance. It might just make it more artificial.

And why does anyone ever point to a chart when measuring speakers anyway? Listening to music isn't a science experiment. Music is an art. Its all about emotion. And passion doesn't come from a really flat line on the charts. It comes from imagining the expressions on the faces of the performers, the movement of their bodies while playing and the weird sense of community the audience feels while simultaneously moving to the same beat. That emotion comes from the stage, not the studio. I think "accuracy" should be measured by how close a speaker comes to moving the audience, as the performers might on stage. Neither the studio nor the laboratory have much to do with that.

That may be news to alot of folks, but Bose knows, and has for a while. We can stick our audio noses in the air all we want, but if a flat line response meant two figs to most audiences, Bose wouldn't be the number one speaker manufacturer and one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

When Klipsch Heresys are mated to the proper amp (and perhaps broken in a little) they do something that no other speaker I have heard can do. They reproduce sound like you would hear if you closed your eyes and listened at a concert. The crash of the cymbals. The pounding of the drums. The power of the guitar chord. The passion of the voice. Its the feeling of being there, near the stage, not the studio. Sure, those charts are hard to argue with. But I'm not trying to think logically when I'm listening to music. I'm trying to get lost in the emotion. And as even a cursory review of this forum will show, no other speaker evokes emotion more than Klipsch.

Yeah, for now at least, I sound like a bad Klipsch commercial. I know, I know. But on the outside chance someone reading this feels just confident enough to make the purchase, it was worth sharing my passion for an old flame with whom I have just been reunited.

When Klipsch Heresys are mated to the proper amp (and perhaps broken in a little) they do something that no other speaker I have heard can do. They reproduce sound like you would hear if you closed your eyes and listened at a concert.

I've always considered the Heresy to be the least capable of all Klipsch heritage speakers, and the least "Klipsch" sounding. They can't hold a candle to my Cornwalls in any way, and my Heresy's are relegated to main speakers in my Klipsch RS-series home theater system. They will be replaced with custom "sideways" Cornwalls as soon as I can find the rest of the parts I need.

In my fairly long lifetime, I've never heard a loudspeaker that can come close to reproducing the sound of a live musical performance, except when the entire performance is routed through sound reinforcement equipment. In that case, you're not hearing the live performance anyway, you're hearing an amplified facsimile. An acoustical performance is a different story though, and I've never heard any speaker that comes even close. Some are good, some are great, some are fantastic, but none equal the real experience.

Reconsider Black Forte II's, and I can help you out.......Nice Black Pair........No Issues, Wire and play.....but.. they are Black !!!!!

What's the deal? Who's speakers are they? Do you know them intimately? Do you know their history? How mint are they? What color are the speaker grills?

Describe any imperfections. Do you know if black forte IIs can be restored to a walnut looking finish?

E-mail me, and I'll give you the owners E-mail address..............He can answer those questions for you.........He's about an hour away from me, but I would get them here to my location to make things easier.............Check them out with him.....My e-mail is robbarb 77@aol.com......

I've always considered the Heresy to be the

least capable of all Klipsch heritage speakers, and the least "Klipsch"

sounding. They can't hold a candle to my Cornwalls in any

way...

You do realize that the Heresy squawker and tweeter are identical to

the squawker and tweeter in your cornwall? The only difference is going

to be in the low frequency response, and relative position of the

speakers in the room. Cross both speakers over at 80Hz to a potent

subwoofer and you're probably not going to be able to tell a difference

(if anything, the heresy will probably sound better....).

That said, I wonder if everything was working properly with the Heresy

speakers you listened to. If you get a chance, try listening to a pair

of the new Heresy III's. I think they'll blow you outta the water.

An acoustical performance is a different story though, and I've

never heard any speaker that comes even close. Some are good, some

are great, some are fantastic, but none equal the real

experience.

I know where you're coming from, but 'never' experienced it? While not

a common experience, I've certainly experienced quite a few most

convincing presentations. The one that stands out the most to me was

listening to a cello solo played back on Artto's khorns in his

dedicated and acoustically treated listening room.

NO...................Selective Hearing atleast....Going from SS to Tubes changed the sound of the Heresy's for the better. One of these days I'll hook up the KG4's to the Scott.....just curious at the sound difference.................

I didn't realize that you have KG-4s. I have a pair also.