Bose 901 VI

Somebody please shoot this thread and bury it decently. My God - we are approaching Meagain problem length - over a speaker model!

Ya likes em - ya don't - it is no biggie.

That's all folks - more along please - nothing to see here.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

Knock yourself out - go for 100 pages - I'm just gonna bow out - just too many - "they suck" posts for some garbled scientific reason - without any reference to actually hearing them - not to mention the whole properly setup - in a decent room etc. thing.

Before I left my place yesterday to go visit someone camping, the guy across from my place had his stereo wide open. And his windows were shut, and doors.

It wasn't that loud enough to upset other neighbors. But even outside, you could totally hear the mass distortion from his stereo....I was thinking it must have been really nasty sounding inside. I mean bad.....

Listening habits aren't the same. Many don't care if the amp is at full clip with the woofers frappin' and the tweeters goin' clickity-clack.......have another beer and crank 'er up!

Per PWK .." excursion of more than .21" produces FIM that is extremely irritating"

any doubt on the excursion of them little drivers ..??

think a fifth of an inch might be exceeded all the time ..??

==============

1. On what driver does .21 produce FIM that is irritating?

2. Did you measure the Bose to exceed that? How?

Max---C'mon,..it's just server space. We all have to take our whacks at this one!

BTW, I am no Bose fan. Haven't heard one in 15 years or so. I am only interested in the side issue here of subjective evaluation.

Ask ...PWK, Mark ....[:)]

Thank you, Max, Mike, and Mark![Y]

Erik, I know you meant well when you started this thread. But we all eventually knew it would take this nasty turn, so I'm hoping Amy will put it to rest real soon.

Now that we don't know what 901's sound like...................What does Chicken taste like? I don't really understand the BOSE bashing on here myself, they were considered good speakers at one time................Is this forum so slow that we resort to product bashing, I hope not.............

It's not Bose bashing...I personally have nothing wrong with the company and many times even recommend their products [:o] I just take issue with those that claim the 901 is a high-fidelity speaker.

Heck, I would take Klipsch Promedia over the 901.....

"If we were to judge the 901 in terms of the best sound available, then, we would say that it produces a more realistic semblance of natural ambience than any other speaker system, but we would characterize it as unexceptional in all other respects. It is ideal for rock enthusiasts to whom sheer sonic impact is of paramount importance, and for classical listeners who want the next best thing to ambient stereo without the cost and the bother of rear-channel add-ons. However, we doubt that the 901 will appeal to perfectionists who have developed a taste for subtleties of detail and timbre." -- J. Gordon Holt, November, 1975

It's always been interesting to me how we get distortion numbers for electronics, but none for loudspeakers -- they must really be bad.:) I don't see the point in asking the objectivists to produce measurements to support every comment in the current context -- it's understood and accepted by everyone in the industry that the more a driver moves the more it distorts, and the audible results of beaming and comb filtering are also well documented. I had a guy once tell me, "Nothing sounds like the 901!!". Well, yeah -- that should be your first clue.

It's not Bose bashing...I personally have nothing wrong with the company and many times even recommend their products [:o] I just take issue with those that claim the 901 is a high-fidelity speaker.

Heck, I would take Klipsch Promedia over the 901.....

Why question it at all? Is a persons opinion not good if it doesn't agree with yours? WHO, you hurt your cause by saying,"Heck, I would take KlipschPromedia over the 901", that is the best laugh I've had all week-end. The right room, the right equipment, trust me, the 901 is a High-Fidelity set of speakers, just like any other speaker.

" I just take issue with those that claim the 901 is a high-fidelity speaker."

Maybe another contributor to this thread made that claim; I did not. I simply said I was impressed by what I heard in 15 minutes or so of listening. Whether they are capable of being described as a high-fidelity speaker couldn't be more irrelevant. The fact that they happened to be Bose 901s was, in truth, a mere coincidence.

Erik

The 901s are indeed high-fidelity loudspeakers, whether anyone likes it or not. Some question their methods as to their development and genuine hi-fi worthiness; some hate their sound...whatever, you're entitled to your ideas, as we all are. There are audiophiles out there that say the same thing about horn speakers and Klipsch products as well...so be it, it's their opinions. But no one's opinions (based on facts or not) will sway me from what I think sounds good to my ears. If I like the tinny sound from my telephone, that's my prerogative (and I don't, BTW).

lol Dean

So who's this Holt bloke?

J. Gordon Holt was one of the founders of Stereophile magazine, and he has exerted a great influence on the audio press and the industry. His legacy is a very mixed bag. He and a few others did greatly assist the "return" of vinyl and tubes and he conceded at least once that a horn can be a very good loudspeaker...but he and PWK did not care for each other. Stereophile and its imitators helped revive the small-shop audio industry that had been almost lost as the Japanese manufacturers overwhelmed most US firms or simply bought the names. His approach favored subjective musicality over measurement and his legacy includes the obsessions over imaging, depth, rythm and other stuff that are just re-labelled phase (in all its meanings) geometry and transient response...all of which had been investigated, as the tech of the time would allow, by Paul and others many years ago.

Some of his reviews of the 70s sound pretty funny now, and not just because tech has moved on, but because of the superficial illusions that Holt and others got so worked up about were later discarded as cold reality set it in. Piezo tweeters, for one.

A quick Google search just now does not reveal what he is doing at the moment...his last Amazon reviews were in early 2006.
For a larger perspective on Holt's legacy take a look at the link below. You have to scroll down about half-way to get to the germane portion, but it's worth it.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/csdy.htm

I agree with Mark on this one, where is the facts to back up the claims, where are the numbers? but then we don't listen to claims or numbers, we listen to sounds. Through the last 18 pages there were references to live performances. Well unless you are referencing a strictly acoustic instrument live performance, that is not accurate either because anything electric and you are listening to 1 persons idea (the engineer) of how HE thinks it should sound, which might not agree with the next guy. if the enginer is being considered as the reference then why do half the recordings out there sound so bad aka "poor recordings". Music, audio systems and just about anything else falls into the same category as religion . believe what you want to believe, listen to what makes you feel good and leave everyone else to do the same. if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it. It doesn't make it bad

and no... I personally do not own 901's

we get distortion numbers for electronics, but none for loudspeakers -- they must really be bad.:)

As much as 5% ... klipsch, i belive is in the 1.5% range on fully horn loaded

I don't see the point in asking the objectivists to produce measurements to support every comment in the current context -- it's understood and accepted by everyone in the industry that the more a driver moves the more it distorts, and the audible results of beaming and comb filtering are also well documented. I had a guy once tell me, "Nothing sounds like the 901!!". Well, yeah -- that should be your first clue.

I belive the Max excursion on the later models ... is 5/8" ....[:|]