Bose 901 VI

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Paynting

Vice President of Engineering KLIPSCH

Richard Paynting is the vice president of engineering for Klipsch Audio Technologies.He is responsible for product innovation and design engineering for all Klipsch market segments.

Prior to joining Klipsch in 2005, Richard was president of Return on Innovation, an inbound marketing and innovation management consultancy based in Melbourne, Australia. He also served as CTO for Helix Technologies and was director of new product concepts at Bose Corp for eight years. Richard managed engineering and operations for several OEMs in Asia, from the mid 70s to the early 80s.

Richard has been involved in industry academic cooperation, particularly in the area of improved marketing and new product development processes. He has been a guest speaker at MIT, developed and delivered Melbourne University's executive new-product development program, and was a member of the team that developed the Center Quality of Management's concept engineering method. He was an advisor to the Gordon Institute, and is a board member of the Society for Concurrent Product Development.

Richard is a graduate of Rhode Island University and RMIT. He lives in Indianapolis.

Hello... Bose is in da Klipsch House.... heheheheeheh

I'm guessing curiosity is killing some here in this forum resulting in a price spike on ebay 901 auctions. BTW, nobody liked my tube comment? Man, I was laughing my butt off just typing it. Well, you don't want to ruffle any tube guy feathers...

Just out of interest Mike - do you know where I can get Bose 901 drivers for 50 cents. They seem to be rather more expensive on-line - even used on ebay.

If you were seriously interested, I could do a little bit of research to find which OEM driver they're using. Obviously it would never be listed or advertised as a replacement driver because that would obviously hurt the Bose image. My source of info was around quite a bit longer ago, so it's possible that it's not the most recent version either - but it's my impression that they all sound very very similar to each other.

I can also think of quite a bit drivers you could install that should also perform better than the Bose, but it would probably look weird (can't have that) and though cost more than the OEM price of the Bose drivers, would cost less than what they're selling the replacements for.

.....Bose thread.......long......lots......

.......views.....4.5"......FMD.....EQ...

.........ebay.....series?.............. dispersion...............

.................sealed/ported...............ridiculous...............

..........................5,772...............rising.................... Bose Klipsch unite.........clandestine................amplification............. .........

............any considering?.......................value........... Bose..................................

..............................dots.................................................

.............lol.................................................................

Just out of interest Mike - do you know where I can get Bose 901 drivers for 50 cents. They seem to be rather more expensive on-line - even used on ebay.

If you were seriously interested, I could do a little bit of research to find which OEM driver they're using. Obviously it would never be listed or advertised as a replacement driver because that would obviously hurt the Bose image. My source of info was around quite a bit longer ago, so it's possible that it's not the most recent version either - but it's my impression that they all sound very very similar to each other.

I can also think of quite a bit drivers you could install that should also perform better than the Bose, but it would probably look weird (can't have that) and though cost more than the OEM price of the Bose drivers, would cost less than what they're selling the replacements for.

Replacement drivers for Bose products were running in the $5-10 range per driver. (edited for spelling)

Richard Paynting

Vice President of Engineering KLIPSCH

Richard Paynting is the vice president of engineering for Klipsch Audio Technologies.He is responsible for product innovation and design engineering for all Klipsch market segments.

Prior to joining Klipsch in 2005, Richard was president of Return on Innovation, an inbound marketing and innovation management consultancy based in Melbourne, Australia. He also served as CTO for Helix Technologies and was director of new product concepts at Bose Corp for eight years. Richard managed engineering and operations for several OEMs in Asia, from the mid 70s to the early 80s.

Richard has been involved in industry academic cooperation, particularly in the area of improved marketing and new product development processes. He has been a guest speaker at MIT, developed and delivered Melbourne University's executive new-product development program, and was a member of the team that developed the Center Quality of Management's concept engineering method. He was an advisor to the Gordon Institute, and is a board member of the Society for Concurrent Product Development.

Richard is a graduate of Rhode Island University and RMIT. He lives in Indianapolis.

Hello... Bose is in da Klipsch House.... heheheheeheh

Everyone's allowed to make one mistake.

I'm guessing curiosity is killing some here in this forum resulting in a price spike on ebay 901 auctions. BTW, nobody liked my tube comment? Man, I was laughing my butt off just typing it. Well, you don't want to ruffle any tube guy feathers...

I didn't comment because I thought you were serious guy.

.....Bose thread.......long......lots......

.......views.....4.5"......FMD.....EQ...

.........ebay.....series?.............. dispersion...............

.................sealed/ported...............ridiculous...............

..........................5,772...............rising.................... Bose Klipsch unite.........clandestine................amplification............. .........

............any considering?.......................value........... Bose..................................

..............................dots.................................................

.............lol.................................................................

Are you at the right forum?

Hey Roc,

Again, just joking around - been one of those weeks that has made me feel a little off and its rubbing off on my humour. People don't use punctuation anymore, they just connect fragments together with dots. My brother does it in emails all the time. Sometimes I have trouble following what he is trying to say.

....So, figured try hand at....LOL.....thread not die....be sure and quote....lest he edit....LOL

BTW, If one was to buy a pair of 901s, theoretically speaking, would one want the series I/II, or the later ones?

I admit the amount of time devoted to this topic is surprising. I merely listened to the speakers for a very, very short while, and was impressed enough to mention it. That's all it was. However, I think I'll go for another audition, and this time bring some music I'm familiar with.

If for some of you this was a reaffirmation that what you like is the 'best,' than I suppose that's a positive thing. Be glad you don't own a pair of Bose 901s.

Sleep well; maybe we should let this 901 thread do the same.

Erik

Roc,

In my room (~ 3,500 cu/. ft.), with the Klipsch RSW-15 subwoofer and Klipschorns, with a Belle Klipsch center, and the controls set to send full, unfiltered, no roll-off bass to the Klipschorns and Belle:

1) For music, cutting the RSW--15 in at 40 Hz (i.e., active from 40Hz down to about 19 Hz) sounds unequivocally better, clearer, more natural.

2) For movies it's a toss up. With the RSW- 15 set at 40, I may be missing some of the LFE (between 40 & 80 Hz) the movie people create (and THX, as you say, recommends 80 Hz), but the sound is a little cleaner with the 40 Hz cut-in. If I have seen a given movie already, I will try key passages both ways before presenting the film to an audience. Sometimes I choose 40, sometimes 80. With a movie that is new to me, I'm likely to just leave the sub at its music default of 40.

For BOTH, the system sounds better with the front speakers (Khorns / Belle) getting the full range of music, set at LARGE and the NAD "Bass Enhancement" set to ON, which lets the bass through to the front, even though there is a sub in the system. When I set up the system originally, King Kong and I spent hours getting the sub placed just right to work synergistically with the Khorns, be in phase, etc.

For overwhelming and clean bass drum and timpani impact, there is nothing like a Klipschorn. Much of this energy often ends up between 40 and 80 Hz. The sub set at 40 provides a little deeper foundation, which is welcome, but the sock comes mainly through the Klipschorns, causing waves of cortical arousal several rooms away.

"I admit the amount of time devoted to this topic is surprising. "

I have a set of 901's IV that i was going to sell....but this thread is convincing me to keep them as a conversation piece....

How many Stereo's have you owned ? Come down

to Earth Dr. Who.................I can't wait for you to hit the REAL

WORLD and get out of your College Dorm....................It's not what

you learn, it's what you do with it..............I'm Sorry I guess I

forget just how much knowledge 20 year old's have....Maybe you'll

design the World's Greatest Speakers............and Put Klipsch and

BOSE out of business

So that's your response? How very wise and mature of you to share your

thoughts. The drivers in the Bose 901 have absolutely nothing to do

with my age or experience level, but nice try. [Y] It's funny that you

try to talk down and lecture me about experience, even trying to attack

what I own, yet have somehow in all those years failed to hear many

hundreds of better sounding speakers??? What does that say about your

experience?!? Obviously age has nothing to do with it. So why don't we

ignore the age for a second and consider the actual content? Is that

really too hard to do? Or do you prefer to resort to attacking age when

you've got nothing else to say? You wouldn't be able to attack age if it were someone older than you saying the same things I am! Would you like me to have them swing by this thread and say everything for me? Then what would your reply be? Funny how that works...

"I admit the amount of time devoted to this topic is surprising. "

I have a set of 901's IV that i was going to sell....but this thread is convincing me to keep them as a conversation piece....

Now that was funny!

Who,

Yes - I am interested in drivers for the 901. It seems that most of the units for sale on ebay and so on are rather old and having a ready source of replacement drivers would probably be a good idea.

Tony is bidding on them constantly now - so I guess he will get lucky soon. He has promised to lend them to me for a proper play in my system as and when.

It seems repair kits for the surrounds are readily available for reasonable sums - but the drivers on ebay in europe are fetching 25 euros each (about $33) which could be quite punitive with 9 in each speaker. As I think these are used drivers that could also be risky.

If you can find some I would be much obliged - but I would want something the same as the existing drivers - not "better" as it is possible we would be mixing and matching with some of the existing drivers to keep costs (and the work required) under control.

How many Stereo's have you owned ? Come down to Earth Dr. Who.................I can't wait for you to hit the REAL WORLD and get out of your College Dorm....................It's not what you learn, it's what you do with it..............I'm Sorry I guess I forget just how much knowledge 20 year old's have....Maybe you'll design the World's Greatest Speakers............and Put Klipsch and BOSE out of business

So that's your response? How very wise and mature of you to share your thoughts. The drivers in the Bose 901 have absolutely nothing to do with my age or experience level, but nice try. [Y] It's funny that you try to talk down and lecture me about experience, even trying to attack what I own, yet have somehow in all those years failed to hear many hundreds of better sounding speakers??? What does that say about your experience?!? Obviously age has nothing to do with it. So why don't we ignore the age for a second and consider the actual content? Is that really too hard to do? Or do you prefer to resort to attacking age when you've got nothing else to say? You wouldn't be able to attack age if it were someone older than you saying the same things I am! Would you like me to have them swing by this thread and say everything for me? Then what would your reply be? Funny how that works...

If you'd quit talking to people like YOU KNOW IT ALL, you wouldn't get those responses...........Again, how much audio equipment have you owned? Your one of the biggest BOSE bashers here..............Don't jump in the deep water if you can't swim..............

Hey Roc,

Again, just joking around - been one of those weeks that has made me feel a little off and its rubbing off on my humour. People don't use punctuation anymore, they just connect fragments together with dots. My brother does it in emails all the time. Sometimes I have trouble following what he is trying to say.

....So, figured try hand at....LOL.....thread not die....be sure and quote....lest he edit....LOL

BTW, If one was to buy a pair of 901s, theoretically speaking, would one want the series I/II, or the later ones?

One is not going to buy 901s. Too risky.