How will my system benefit from a tube amp? (part 2)

ajcllc

Back in March I asked this question with many responses and various opinions. So, here is mine. Well, I purchased a Dynaco ST-70 from joshnich that was rebuilt by Craig at Nosvalves, and I love the sound that I am getting and must say that I am very happy with my purchase. In contrast to my Sherbourn 7/2100A, it compares with the warmth of sound, musicality, and detail played along with my Denon DVD-2900 and my Audcom (now defunct) AP100. However, I must give the edge to the Dynaco. There seems to be more detail in the mids and highs, but the Sherbourn has a slightly tighter lower end. Since this is my first tube amp, I can only compare it to solid state, and must say that I enjoy the warm and clear sound that I am getting out of my Fortes. Not that I wasn't getting this sound out of my Sherbourn, but I notice a better stage presence from the Dynaco. Hence, I prefer listening to music with the Dynaco over my $3000 Sherbourn. Now I will reserve the Sherbourn for Home Theater surround sound and must also say that I understand what all the hype is about tubes and analog. (I am now a tube-a-holic and am looking forward to doing some tube-rolling in the Dynaco. Any suggestions?) As far as vinyl listening goes, my old Dual 1219 synergizes better with the Dynaco, also. Again, there is greater clarity and musicality that is being heard as well as a tempered and rounded upper register in most of my recordings, whether it be John Coltrane, Steely Dan, or an old Ronco album. I simply am enjoying my music more and feel like a little kid who just got a new bike. 

I like my solid state amp, but love my tube amp, but don't think either be leaving my system any time soon. 
(This is all just my humble opinion and is meant for entertainment purposes only.)

What tubes do you currently have in your Dynaco?

I will be posting a thread here soon (today) you will probably be interested in on Dynaco's and upgrades. You might want to look at it too.

Congrats but be forewarned, tubes are addictive. I love my Dynaco's but just got my Eico HF-81 back up and running after an upgrade and was excited as could be about listening to it. Dynaco's on the Khorns and an Eico HF-81 on the Heresies and I am excited when I play the Eico.

What tubes do you currently have in your Dynaco?

I will be posting a thread here soon (today) you will probably be interested in on Dynaco's and upgrades.  You might want to look at it too.

Congrats but be forewarned, tubes are addictive.  I love my Dynaco's but just got my Eico HF-81 back up and running after an upgrade and was excited as could be about listening to it.  Dynaco's on the Khorns and an Eico HF-81 on the Heresies and I am excited when I play the Eico.

The tubes that are currently in my Dynaco are as follows:
3 JJ Tesla ECC81
1 Sovtek 5AR4
3 Mullard EL34 (Great Britain) matched with 1 Tung-sol EL34

Try slipping 3- ECC82/12AU7's in place of the ECC81/12AT7's this is a little tidbit I found after doing to first few ST-70 with that front end circuit. JJ Telsa's would be a fine choice again. Let me know what you think. By the way the ST-70 is never going to compete bass wise with your SS gear even with my mods after all its an entry level tube amp, A very nice entry level but entry level just the same.

Craig

Try slipping 3- ECC82/12AU7's in place of the ECC81/12AT7's this is a little tidbit I found after doing to first few ST-70 with that front end circuit. JJ Telsa's would be a fine choice again. Let me know what you think. By the way the ST-70 is never going to compete bass wise with your SS gear even with my mods after all its an entry level tube amp, A very nice entry level but entry level just the same.

Craig

Even though this may be considered by some as an entry level tube amp, I am quite impressed by the overall improvement that is being made in my system. I am looking forward to hearing something that is not "entry level" to compare it to. Honestly, I don't know how much better it is going to get.