Building a HT system

alynmar

I agree with what Derek said. Make sure you timbre match your center speaker with your mains. According to Klipsch's speaker matching chart they recommend you use the KLF-C7 center speaker. It is kind of expensive (I think I paid between 400-500 dollars for it 3 years ago) but well worth it. I love that speaker along with my KLF-20 mains. Again, I agree with Derek about getting bargains for your rears (surrounds). They do not have to match and you can upgrade that at a later time when you have some more money.

Best of luck to ya.

Thanks for the comments. Would this also be the case if the primary use of the system is to listen to CD music? I have a receiver that is 5.1 rated.

quote:

Originally posted by alynmar:

I have a pair of KLF-10s and a KSW-10 and want to start building a HT system. Since the budget is limited, I can not add all the speakers at once. What should be the first addition the center channel or the surrounds?

Thanks for any feedback.

Alan

I guess I'd differ a little bit and recommend the surrounds first if your front stereo pair are fairly close together. If they are close to the TV, I don't think the center channel is that critical. Just use the "phantom center" mode on your receiver. On the other hand, if your KLF-10s are pretty far apart, then I would say go ahead and do the center first, to fill in the gap. Particularly if viewers often sit off center of the sweet spot. It's pretty weird having voices come from 6 feet to the side of the TV!

James. Do you have a Yamaha reciever? I had an old Yamaha that had a phantom setting. I don't know if all receivers do that. I still think going with the center first is best for home theater since all of the dialog comes out of that channel. If you are primarily interested in music then you are set since you have the mains you like. The reason you want to timbre match your center with your mains is for scenes when sound goes across your screen like an airplane or car. If your speakers are timbre matched the sound will flow across the screen, if they aren't then you will notice when the sound is in each speaker and it won't be fluid. If you do not care about that then you can do whatever you want. But in my opinion that is essential (timbre matching) for any system to be called a home theater system rather than just a surround sound system.

Just my two cents. Do what feels right for you. Don't let other people convince you what is right or not, listen to your heart and ears.

Tom

quote:

Originally posted by vonbonds:

James. Do you have a Yamaha reciever?

Tom

No Yamaha receiver; I just thought everything had a phantom center mode. I use an old Sony TA-E1000ES A/V preamp for what little "A/V-ing" I do. It's 11 years old, so maybe some newer stuff doesn't even have the phantom mode. Perhaps they figure everybody uses a center channel by now.

As for surround processed stereo, I think it

can be great, but only if it's done right: Leave the front l & r alone, sum the center, and go light on the delay and reverb to the surrounds!

-There, you have the gospel according to Dougy. smile.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

if u listen only to CD music, u don't need anymore speaks, unless u have a 5 channel stereo mode on a receiver like on t-man's denon. the center is for HT or music dvds.

some newer HT receivers also have virtual rear surrounds in addition to JD's phantom center. so i guess it's up to which receiver u have & if the added speakers cost is worth the marginal benefit for your limited HT use.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!