Altec 803B Horn Questions

I understand the Altec 803B multicellular horn can go down to 300HZ, which might make it suitable for use as a K-horn squawker. Has anyone had any experience with this horn in this application? If so, what would be the best drivers for this use?

Thanks,

George Roland

George, I sold a pair of corner horn bass bins to a forum member in Cleveland. He uses the 803 horns in his set up and seems to be pleased with the sound. I can't remember what his forum handle is but maybe he will read this and chime in.

Don

Don, still checking out the forum here, reading. The bass bins are still in the same condition unfinished wise, though set up as I plan to keep them sound wise. I still owe you pictures of the set up as-is, so I better borrow GFs digital camera and post some here. The horns I am using are actually the Altec 203B two cell 300hz recommended by an Altec/lansing forum member as being thee 300hz Altec horn to use for home use, and I am totally happy with it. He claimed it to be best choice over the 311-90, 803b, 1003b horns, though I haven't tried the others, going to stay with thew 203b.

The 203b is same width as the K-horn bass bin and 17" tall, so it looks like it belongs on top of the K-horn bass bin in its raw state (low WAF pending ones W or say so in the house), though they are rather deep requiring false corners for the tail end of horn with driver to stick through (extra 8" in corner). I will really have to post a picture of this for best explanation, the K-77 tweeters are mounted to the 203b in the center where the two cells meet. this required some sheet metal fabrication for the right fit, function, and look, long story short, the k-77 is vertical and coaxial to the horn, which uses the k-55 driver, I really really am happy with it! just like the original K-horns, the 203b really....smooth, no added sound effects or ringing or anything. The only upgrade maybe will be the BEC tweeters in the center, and maybe an upgrade from the BEC type A crossover, for now I like them just the way they are, just need to do cosmetic work. Will try to post some pics here soon.

The 803 is too deep (and too wide).

I suggest the 805, 1005, 311-90, or 511E with the 290 driver.

The 290 is very reasonable on the used market, as is the 805. 805 is best for short wall use, the 1005 for long wall use.

The 311-90 is expensive as it is very popular. The 511E is reasonable, but hard to find.

Q-man started out with 805s on this Klipschorns, and ended up with the 311-90. He used the 290 on them, and the JBL 2404 tweeter.

Thanks Don, as you see I have not done any cosmetics yet, though they get everyday use! System is SAE 2200 amp, 3100 pre-amp, sony DVP-S9000ES dvd player, Nikko FAM-800 tuner, and Sansui SR-838 turntable. My car hobby is taking most of my spare time and money right now, but will still put a finish on the speakers in near future, and I have considered the 902's, just on the back burner for now.

As to the original post, I again have no experience with the 803b though according to the Altec dimensions, the 803b will fit better and not as deep as the 203b, the 311-90 would be my second choice, but I am really happy with the 203b.

I suggest the 805, 1005, 311-90, or 511E with the 290 driver.

The 290 is very reasonable on the used market, as is the 805. 805 is best for short wall use, the 1005 for long wall use.

If you purchase any Altec multicell horn, make certain that you also get the 30210 throats with them.

Having said that, I have a pair of Altec 1003b horns (with throats) in fair shape.  They were pulled from active duty after at least a couple of decades, and are weary but serviceable.  I also have a pair of Altec 290 drivers in unknown (meaning "pretty rough") condition.  Any or all are free to a good home, but you have to pick them up in Colchester, Vermont (just north of Burlington).  I'll help you load them into the back of your pickup truck, but that's the limit of what I'll do to transport them.

Send a private message if interested.

Greg