New Music

joshnich

I tend to listen to a lot of what I have always listened to. I am happy when I discover a new artist/band etc that ends up getting significant listening time. I would be interested in artists that you have discovered in the past year. They only have to be new to you.

Ill start with

Neko Case

Brandi Carlile

I am sure there are more but Ill have to think about it.

List away.....

Josh

Josh, if you like a little twang I recently discovered Carrie Rodriguez. She has also done 3 albums with Chip Taylor. If you like flaminco style guitar try Rodrigo Y Gabriella, These two play guitars only, and it sounds like guitar and percussion. The new Kendel Carson album, starts out slow but it sure finishes nicely.

http://www.rodgab.com/

http://www.trainwreckrecords.com/

Not "new" in any sense, but someone I never listened to before 6 months ago and now I have half-a-dozen of his CDs and play them contantly in the car (I spend about 2 hours per day in the car).

FRED ANDERSON!

His playing is too free and "out" for me to reccomend to most folks, but I gotta tell you his music and his playing are the real deal. He's active in Chicago, so next time I'm that way hearing him live is right up there with hearing Von Freeman again.

birdhouse.jpg

http://www.okkadisk.com/releases/od12007.html

http://www.okkadisk.com/images/birdhouse.jpg'>

Josh,

I recently picked up a copy of Rocco Delucca and the Burden "I Trust you to Kill Me". I think you'd like it High energy, tight band, good hooks.

BTW, last night I saw Angelique Kidjo in concert (remember her music from the shootout?). She was AMAZING! A tight band, married with her commanding vocals and exciting bursts of joyous dancing. I highly recommend catching her in concert. I think she is going to NYC next.

Darrell

Josh,

How about ENSEMBLES?

Posted Image

Die Kunst der Fuge (The Art of the Fugue), for keyboard (or other instruments), BWV 1080

Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach

Performed by Italiano Concerto

Conducted by Rinaldo Alessandrini

Opus 111

Artists new this year (to me) that've gotten lots of spin time include...

Tord Gustavsen Trio (Nordic Jazz)

Chavela Vargas (Traditional Colonial Mexican)

Tin Hat/Tin Hat Trio (Eclectic)

Bosque Brown (Indie-folk)

Brad Mehldau (Straight-ahead jazz)

I tend to listen to a lot of what I have always listened to. I am happy when I discover a new artist/band etc that ends up getting significant listening time. I would be interested in artists that you have discovered in the past year. They only have to be new to you.

Oh good lord! I don't even know where to begin, as I am always out looking for new music. Yeah, I still go back and listen to some of the "classics", but it seems like it is a never ending quest to find new, fresh music for me. It is just friggan amazing how much awesome music that I have found out there that just does not get the exposure it should get. After listening to a lot of this new-found music, it really occured to me just how boring and banal much of the stuff that is currently on "mainstream" radio really is these days. Kinda like exploring that cool new stream I just discovered while hiking - never know what you'll find around the next bend.

Just an example....

Antiquus

Eyefear

Mob Rules

Silent Force

Machine Men

Evidence One

Emerald Sun

Axenstar

To just name a few.

Try Delbert McClinton....... Levon Helm.......Guess I don't buy much new-stuff......I like the older music better.............I feel a rebirth of Soul Music coming back..........Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, ................ Booker T and the M.G.'s RULE..............

Josh,

It sounds like the same quest we all have. Recently I have been buying "Samplers" at our local Flea Market. At a buck each I get a very good selection of artists I've never heard of and their offerings. Most of the recordings are excellent and I've been introduced to some great music I would otherwise never have been exposed to.

post-24628-13819333930116_thumb.jpg

Harry, "Showdown" is a great blues album. Pick up "Harp Attack' if you get a chance.

Best new-to-me artist in the last year or so has been Shawn Mullins. Turned onto him by a fellow forum member. Like his 9th Ward Picking parlor (recorded at the same-named studio just before Catrina) very, very much and is in regular rotation at the Thebes digs.

Also, between Right This Minute here and Members Weekly Music Recommendations, you can find a boatload of good music to check out.

The previous sentence is not a commercial, just the facts jack.