Cornwall III or Altec Valenci***

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you have already purchased one of those pairs. But I'll just go ahead and give you my 2 cents. I love both Klipsch and Altec. I currently have LaScala, Forte II, 2pairs of Snatana, and Valencia and a few other speakers of other brands. Between Valencia and Cornwall (mind you I haven't listened to the III's, I assume improvement should be there from earlier Cornwall, but with similar character), Valencia over Cornwall anyday for me. Although 1,500 EUROS for valencia seems very expensive, In US Valencia goes between $1000 - $1500 USD depends on the condition.

Why I do I prefer Valencia? Because Cornwall is just not in the same league. I listen to LaScala in a BIG room(20'x40') and they sound wonderful, it would never work in small room since it has such an over-emphasized mid Bass. Not boomy, but just too much of it. Santana and Valencia have magical midrange. They are rolled off on both high and low frequencies, but so dynamic that you don't realize it's not there. Forte is very clean and punchy and covers a bit more frequencies than Altec, but very sensitive to matching amps. In my opinion Cornwall is a stepped-down version of Forte. As I stated earlier I haven't listened to III..so can't tell you how big a improvement there is. Nonetherless, with difference in your quoted cost I'd pick Valencia in a tenth of a heartbeat. Hope my 2 cents helped.

I've got Valencias in the bedroom. I've got the Cornwall redeisgned in my main listening room. I listen to both constantly. I like the overall performance on the Cornwall for daily listening. I think they're a lot more versatile. At night at lower volumes I listen to the Valencias in bed while reading or just re-hashing the day. The Vals are smoother at lower volumes to me. Hence the bedtime listening. The Cornwalls can't be beat for versatility or quality. I run tube power only and it smooths out the beasts in both.

Easy question depending on listening factors. Cornwalls By Klipsch. You can't beat them if you have the choice of only 1 pair of speakers.

Harry

Sorry this took so long to reply. For some reason the forum stopped recognizing by password.

The Flamencos were smoother and a bit more natural. The Cornwalls seemed to go further in each direction, and were more detailed. For instance, in the von Karajan recording of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons," there's a harpsichord doubling the string sections. On the Cornwalls, I could hear it easily. On the Flamencos it was hard to pick out. On the EV Sentry IIIs, it was pretty much buried.

The Cornwalls also, at least subjectively, could handle more power, and were not as prone to feedback (I admit it, I've used them for PA work) as the big Altecs. (The Altecs could blow out candles playing "Smoke on the Water," though. Such abilities were considered way cool at the time.) The Klipsches also had a quality that's hard to describe, except that the CWs made people want to get up and dance. The Altecs, not so much.

I hope this helps. Bear in mind, these are thirty year old recollections.

Thank you all for your replies!

I've not already purchased. I was leaning towards the Cornwalls, but mujch's post makes me wonder again wether the Valencia may be probably the better speaker for me.

My listening levels are low to medium, never very high.

Music is rock, most 70s and 80s, funk and a little jazz.

The speakers will be powered by a Marantz 2330B.

Which one do you recommend regarding this ?

Cornwalls.......will do everything you have listed and More......The best part about Klipsch is you don't have to play LOUD to hear great musical sounds, Low volume, High volume, and everything in between........Cornwalls and Marantz, very nice combo............