Power Amp plugged Directly in Wall Outlet No Surge Suppressor

zuzu

Just did this in dedicated 20 amp outlet with surge suppressor removed. Sounds much better!!!!!! Thanks Arky!!!!! Question??? What kind of hits is the power amp now getting [if any] and is there a way around this that costs less than my power amp at $500.

http://www.lightningrodparts.com/surge.html

Not this one per say...but there are surge protectors that are placed at the house main panel either in a circut breaker slot, or wired in parallel. The difference here is that there is no RMI filter which causes the insertion loss low end line conditioners exhibit.

Alternatively, you can troll ebay and look for prior model line conditioners...for example...I bought 4 HTS 2500's for 50 bucks each, list price was near 300 dollars. These do not have the insertion loss issue associated with cheap low end line conditioners.

I don't think I have a problem running electronics off the a.c. with no surge protector.

There is the computer, the TV, the microwave, the cable box, the alarm clock, the power tool battery charger, and the oven. All have some sort of microprocessor. Then there are the various amps and receivers which too old to have microprocessors but could have frail, aged semiconductors just ready to be pushed over the edge by a surge.

My point is that people get very worried about their sound systems and similar items get no surge protection. Yet they somehow survive for decades.

Gil

I had My NAD C272 plugged into a one year old current model Belkin PureAV PF 30 [20080-10] which lists for $299. My Velodyne sub was into a cheap wall surge suppressor. Both are now straight into a dedicated 20 amp outlet. Sounds much better. Fritz is this Pure AV 30 the type you are referring to above?

I'm really dense.

I've never used surge protection nor power supplies/conditioners and my music system has always worked and sounded well. (sometimes the lights dim a bit)

Am I living dangerously or am I the sensible one?

Please advise.

The idea of a surge protector is to protect your electrical equipment from power surges from your outlet such as those associated with lighting strikes and the like. Well the same thing in many surge protectors that protects against surges also prevents your amp from drawing all the AC power it wants from your electrical service there by hurting the sound quality or so the theory goes.

That said any man who would be willing to trade a pair of Fortes for his wife and actually post that on the internet is living dangerously.

I'm really dense.

I've never used surge protection nor power supplies/conditioners and my music system has always worked and sounded well. (sometimes the lights dim a bit)

Please advise.

The idea of a surge protector is to protect your electrical equipment from power surges from your outlet such as those associated with lighting strikes and the like. Well the same thing in many surge protectors that protects against surges also prevents your amp from drawing all the AC power it wants from your electrical service there by hurting the sound quality or so the theory goes.

That said any man who would be willing to trade a pair of Fortes for his wife and actually post that on the internet is living dangerously.

Amen brother!!!

I'm really dense.

Please advise.

And I'm not proud of it, but I do whatever it takes.

Lets get this straight;

If I plug my high power Outlaw 7700 (7 x 200 watts) into my Monster Power 2600, the amp wll not get the power it needs? So I should just plug it into the wall directly?

I have the 2600 plugged into a 20 amp circuit, even though the 2600 is only rated at 15 amps.

Could one plug their amp into this, with NOTHING else on it but the amp and get protection and no degradation of power to the amp???

PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF30

function MM_openBrWindow(theURL,winName,features) { //v2.0

window.open(theURL,winName,features);

}

THN1501_AP20800-10.jpg

shim.gif

AP20800-10

$ 199.99

Add to Cart

spacer.gifadditional images

shim.gif

Each PureAV Power Console is packed with innovative features, such as Multi-Phase PureFilter Circuitry, designed to remove electrical noise and provide clean and clear power to all of your valuable equipment. It isolates audio, video and digital components, and prevents noise created by one connected component from contaminating the entire system. To deal with threats from sources other than your AC lines, all PureAV Power Consoles come with coaxial cable, pay-per view/phone and broadband Ethernet line protection.

Advantages

Level 4 Power Protection

Phase 3 PureFilter Circuitry with Video, Audio and HiCurrent Filters

Slim console design fits perfectly in your Home Theater cabinet

HiCurrent Outlet for high-power amplifiers

Network Protection (RJ45) for Media Streamer Support

Lifetime Warranty

$350,000 Connected Equipment Warranty

8 Outlets

2 Line telephone/pay-per-view protection with splitter

3245 Joules of Surge Protection

165,000 Amp Maximum Spike Current