f-113 subwoofer woofing too much!!!

Roc Rinaldi

So you've got the master volume maxed out and the 25Hz and under control maxed out and you're wondering what the problem is on extremely loud extremely low end effects???????????

Every product has limits. Congratulations on finding the limits of this very fine product.

You may have stumbled upon the answer to my problem.

'stumbled'? With all due respect, Bob's been at this for a couple of decades. He does not stumble.

Roc, you'e getting good advice here from many different fronts. Can't be coincidence.

I was late to this party, read the remainder of the thread, sounds like the JL guys gave you some great advice, Doc's 'Hoffman' slide was right on, a good lesson all the way around.

So is it taming down?

So you've got the master volume maxed out and the 25Hz and under control maxed out and you're wondering what the problem is on extremely loud extremely low end effects???????????

Every product has limits. Congratulations on finding the limits of this very fine product.

'stumbled'? With all due respect, Bob's been at this for a couple of decades. He does not stumble.

Roc, you'e getting good advice here from many different fronts. Can't be coincidence.

I was late to this party, read the remainder of the thread, sounds like the JL guys gave you some great advice, Doc's 'Hoffman' slide was right on, a good lesson all the way around.

So is it taming down?

No Michael. "Taming down" are not the key words here. I need strong bass volume. My issue is whether or not I need a second sub or room treatments for the one f-113 sub.

I need to figure this out quickly. JL is raising their prices effective June 1.

I tried lowering the volume but that was disappointing to me. The room is 23 x 22 x 7.3 so it is not that small. The question is: Will a second sub enhance my listening experience through higher volume or is the lack of proper room treatments keeping my one f-113 from producing higher volumes?

So is it taming down?

No Michael. "Taming down" are not the key words here. I need strong bass volume. My issue is whether or not I need a second sub or room treatments for the one f-113 sub.

I tried lowering the volume but that was disappointing to me. The room is 23 x 22 x 7.3 so it is not that small. The question is: Will a second sub enhance my listening experience through higher volume or is the lack of proper room treatments keeping my one f-113 from producing higher volumes?

A second F-113 will get you an approximate 3 decibals more in output. Of course there is a chance they could cancel each other out. Impossible for us to know since bass interacts with the room.

When setting the subwoofer level, I prefer to set it at a level where you can't tell its playing (it does not draw attention to itself) but when you turn it off, you can tell its missing. I am not a fan of listening toplayback of music where the bass line is over emphasized. I tend to use the same level for music as I would for movies and in my case the sound intregrates well. When there is an explosion in the sound track, it sounds like an explosion, the there are foot steps, it sounds like footsteps, not like an explosion.

So is it taming down?

I would suggest the custon route. It seems if the F113 is not enough, you should look into this. You may be able to get custon dual 18" and serious amps for about the price of the F113.

Just a thought. Also, be careful with the SPL, you can cause permanent damage.

So is it taming down?

I would suggest the custon route. It seems if the F113 is not enough, you should look into this. You may be able to get custon dual 18" and serious amps for about the price of the F113.

Just a thought. Also, be careful with the SPL, you can cause permanent damage.

Agreed. I think if you're looking to blow the windows out with SPL then two F113's for $6k may not be the answer. At the volumes you're wanting your $3k - $6k may be better used somewhere else (unless of course $6k doesn't cut into your monthly budget...I'm assuming it would). If you don't have any qualms about dishing out the cash for a super sub that's another story. A couple dual driver SVS Plus or Ultra subs are another option...and that'll keep you around or under the $3k mark. If that doesn't satisfy your appetite then DIY would be the way to go.

SVS is not the answer,did you know a dual driver Plus sub from SVS has about the same output as a single f113. DIY would be the way to go,a well built DIY sub will trounce SVS,JL and anything commercial.

The subs I am building will run circles around anything you can buy,save for Danley Labs. [:D]

Roc has a difficult room and even two f113's may work hard.

SVS is not the answer,did you know a dual driver Plus sub from SVS has about the same output as a single f113. DIY would be the way to go,a well built DIY sub will trounce SVS,JL and anything commercial.

The subs I am building will run circles around anything you can buy,save for Danley Labs. [:D]

I'd be interested in building some high quality subs. What do you recommend for drivers and amps?

Well today's the day I must decide on the second f-113 sub purchase.

I am not really a DIY person so that is probably not a good solution for me.

I'm pretty sure that I am ordering a second f-113 today. I know myself quite well and I know that this will eat at me until I get it and try it out.

Believe me I have wasted 5 to 10 times this amount of money over my lifetime. I am getting old and what am I really saving my money for anyway?

I know having the two f-113s flanking my two main speakers will definitely make me feel good as long as the sound improves, which I think it will. When I added the Velodyne CT-120 to the f-113 in my system, the sound definitely became fuller and quite non-directional. The bass became louder. The system sounded better. A null at my listening seat became a boom. I hope that the Automatic Room Optimization software for the f-113s will lower the boom factor with the two subs.

I know it is somewhat of a gamble but isn't everything in life? I gotta do what makes me sleep good at night, so I'm pretty sure I will be ordering today.

Wish me luck.

It's 6dB for doubling up on subs....basically equivalent to raising the volume on the reciever by 6 numbers.

My A/V Controller volume goes from 0 to 99. Do you mean six numbers on a 0 to 99 scale?

Extra volume will help, but my real goals, in priority order, with adding a second sub are:

1. Non-Localized bass sound.

2. Even and smooth sound across all of the bass frequencies.

3. Gut wrenching volume.

My hope and prayer is that the second f-113 will do all of this for me.

Join me in prayer.

Come on guys, everyone knows that this hobby is a lot like having a religious experience, so pray with me.