f-113 subwoofer woofing too much!!!

Roc Rinaldi

Roc, how do you have them set up? Are they co-located?

I have them on the main wall. One each next to my main speakers slightly away from the corners.

All I did was place them in position, run the room equalization program, and play them. No other adjustments were made.

The result of adding the second sub was:

1. Non-localization of the sound

2. A smoothing of the low frequencies

3. Louder and stronger bass

I haven't tinkered yet with phase or polarity or crossover points or different locations in the room. Apparently the sound will only improve as I tinker.

Roc that is right after you get dual f112's and pile then on each f113. That is why I need just another f112.... LOL

Yeah now you can hear and feel why I have...many...the power corrupts...the massiv headroom is damn real !

True power is in numbers

Every so often in life we need to say "Enough".

The two f-113s have ended my search for the perfect bass. I am bass-satisfied..............................................................................................................for now.

I'm really glad your second sub worked out well. Moreso because the numbers weren't looking good... [:o]

Just outta curiousity - how do things sound with only the second sub on?

DrWho I don't understand your question. Wouldn't playing only the second sub be a lot like when I only had one sub? Since the two subs are identical wouldn't I have already experienced the sound of only one sub? Was there some other meaning to your question?

I'm really glad your second sub worked out well. Moreso because the numbers weren't looking good... [:o]

DrWho I don't understand your question. Wouldn't playing only the second sub be a lot like when I only had one sub? Since the two subs are identical wouldn't I have already experienced the sound of only one sub? Was there some other meaning to your question?

PLACEMENT

The second one may be in a more "optimal" spot.

PLACEMENT

The second one may be in a more "optimal" spot.

Well EAR, did I mention 130 pounds? I am a 60 year old with a bad back. I know that placement is important but basically they are sitting where they were first placed.

Did I mention heavy? Yes, I will experiment with different locations just as soon as I finish my weight lifting course so that I can budge these heavy subs.

I've said it before. Lifting and moving an f-113 is a lot like lifting and moving a Sumo wrestler.

I don't know of any 60 year olds that dig bass like you do, Roc. That's cool. By the way, for how long did you participate in Sumo wrestling? lol

I lost my first match with a Sumo guy. Like I am losing the match with trying to move the f-113s around the room.

JL Audio includes a microphone and white gloves with their subs. What they should be including is a mini-forklift to help with the lifting.

Music or movies or both with the f-113? What type of music? I've been considering one myself but I'm pretty satisfied with my RSW-15's and SVS Ultra Plus. They've become a good combo, unique bass.

I built my system for music. Loud music. However, it plays movies quite well.

The difference for me was to create 7 identical full-range speakers plus subs as needed.

The f-113 is definitely a musical sub. It is unbelievably musical. And it can handle special effects in movies with no problem.

I never thought that I could afford a JL Audio product. Then I found a really good JL Dealer with surprisingly low prices.

I can put you in contact with him if you let me know at rrinaldi@jhsph.edu

The second sub is in a different place in the room right? In other words, you didn't stack them on top of each other. Your room is nonsymmetrical which means the modal distribution will also be non symmetrical. It sounds like you got lucky and filled in a void with the new sub that was otherwise present with the original sub. I was just wondering if you are able to run the second sub by itself in the 'new' location and have no offending holes in the response. If that's the case, you might benefit from stacking the subs on that side.

As far as moving your subs around....get a handcart and pad it with pipe insulation?