Trends 10.1 Amp

whell

Whell,

Nice review.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are using a Carver preamp in front of the Trends?

I was wondering if you have listened to the Trends without a preamp in the stream. If so, what did you think of that sound, straight out?

I haven't, but now that you mention it, I really should. I listen to mostly vinyl on this system, so I'll either plug the phono pre in directly, or plug the Phillips in directly, and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I ran the Creek OBM-8 directly into the Trends tonight. I really does seem that the Carver is "heating up" the high end just a bit. The sound seems to smooth out and warm up just a bit. I liked it, but I still need the Carver to do my source switching for me.

Whell,

Interesting. Yeh, switching sources is definitely an issue with these T amps.

I've had the same hesitation about setting up the T amp as the main amp in my system. I've looked around for selectors and have found a decent looking unit by Niles, but I think it is out of production. On ebay, they are about as pricey as the whole amp. Maybe I should get over it and let the switcher cost more than the amp. Why not, everything else in my system costs more than the amp.

It really does seem that the Carver is "heating up" the high end just a bit. The sound seems to smooth out and warm up just a bit.

The Super-T sounds better to me without a preamp in front of it, even a good preamp like the Peach -- I have no idea why.

How would you think using one of the Creek passive pre's work with the trends.

You'll have to try it and let us know. Most of us using these things just have a single source.