Marantz 2325, Pioneer SX-1280 and the La Scalas?

Does anyone have a Marantz 2325 or a Pioneer SX-1280 matched with a pair of La scalas? I know the la scalas are efficient speakers and these receivers might be an overkill, but I like loud powerful music sometimes. I understand if I was to get a tube amp, the quality may be better (maybe), but the one I want is at least double the price. Currently I have a Harman Kardon AVR340 (70 watts per channel solid state theater receiver built in 2006) which sounds good and gets pretty loud, but to be honest it's not quite enough. After reading some info and talking to others, I've come to the conclusion that these models would best suit me, (I think) however, I've never had the opportunity to listen to either receiver with the La Scalas. Also is one receiver better than the other. From what I've read it seems these receivers WATTS PER CHANNEL are more powerful than the receivers built now-a-days.

I have ran my lascalas with my sx-1280. Not bad at all with great bass and soundstage. Just a little more power than I wanted to throw at the las . Overall, tho not bad on most music. mine is for sale if anyone is interested.

Dave

Of the two you've mentioned, I'd pick the Marantz. But I think neither are the best match for LS's.

How about a simple 50 wpc or 100 wpc McIntosh piece. If you look around you can still find them fairly reasonably priced.

I have a HK930 on a pair of LS's right now, and while not great, it sounds pretty nice. The HK's are very reasonably priced.

I still think an old Dynaco or Scott tube setup is just great with the LS.

Greg

I have listened to both the sx-1250 and sx-1280, To my ears they don't sound near as good as a Marantz 2325. I posted a pic of a few of my Marantz 2325's. I used to run 2 pairs of La scalas with a Marantz 2325. The sound was out of this world. In my opinion the Marantz 2325 is the best of the best. I use the 2325 for my K- Horns, La scalas, Cornwalls, and Heresy's. I recently bought an unopened NOS Marantz 2325. I have more 2325's than I actually need. All my 2325's are 9.9 to 10 condition. All with original boxes and manuals. You can probably find one for alot less than what I would have to get for any of mine. Last week I had my la scalas set up outdoors while I was putting on a new roof. It was just like being at a concert.

The 2325 is a very nice unit. I have had one of those also. But I don't think the sound was much different than the pioneer and certainly not what I'd call 'better'. We each have our own personal tastes. I have also owned a sansui 9700, 9000, 7700, and a 9090 which were all good units. When you get to the level of these 3 old classic brands it really boils down to personal taste.. Better? I wouldn't say that. A little different ... but all were much better units than most anything built today.

Dave

As Dave said, it really is a matter of personal taste, and in most cases, trying to hit "that sound" you heard twenty years ago.

The Kenwood KR 9600, Concept 16, Marant 2325, Pioneer SX 1250/1280, Sansui 9xxx, Realistic big boy, and all the other flagship megawatt receivers from the day were statements of engineering design. Very few were less than excellant, and some still run with today's separates.

$600 clams for a vetted Pioneer SX 1280 from a trusted forum member is a solid deal, and I'm sure Dave is as picky as anyone about which Pioneer he purchased when he got this one.

I personally like the warm sound the Marantz 2325 provides, but I also find the 2270 and 2245 to sound better than the 2325 I have heard. I found the SX1250 to be far superior to the Yamaha CR 2020 and 3020 back in the day.

i have had the pioneer now for about 10 years and like I said it is in excellent condition. The only concern I have with selling it is its weight and shipping that weight. The unit weighs somewhere close to 80 lbs. I don't use it anymore because I moved to tubes in my audio progression. Since this thread was in reference to lascalas let me put it this way.. Right now I am running a pair of mc30's and a Blueberry extreme on my lacalas. The sound is truly fantastic, but I honestly believe I had attained that same sound level to about 95% with the pioneer/lascala mix. This is a funny hobby and I guess it boils down to how much you want to pay to get that extra 5%. The pioneer will get you 95% of the sound at 600 bucks versus the 3000 I have in the BB and mc30 mix(after rebuilds on the 30's). Just a matter of taste/preference. It is what makes the game so much fun..........

Dave

It does boil down to personal taste. I owned a Pioneer sx-1010 before I got into Marantz and to this day I think it has the best tuner section of any receiver I ever owned. I had a Sansui 9090DB that was a super sounding receiver. I really liked the power meters but I didnt think it was quite as pretty as a Marantz 2325. Thats the great thing about this hobby. Something for everyone's tastes. My stuff is no better than or worse than anyone elses and I didnt mean to come off like I was trying to impose my tastes on anyone else. The La scalas are going to sound great on any of these big receivers. The thing I am conflicted over is which of Klipsch I like the best. I guess you have to consider K-Horns in a catagory all by them selves. La scala or Cornwall? thats the real question! If you could fit a 400 horn in a cornwall cabinet I think that really would be something.

Very true tuned... I may get blasted for this, but I prefer my cornwalls over my lascalas.. I don't have corners for khorns, so I'm at the end of my line as far as speakers go. And its also true about the marantz receivers being some of the best looking units in their day. I had a sansui 9700 that I thought was visually challenged(I thought it was ugly!), but damn that thing put out the juice. 220 watts per channel when ratings were for both channels running for a least an hour. You could almost smell the power coming from the unit. The 1280 gives the same impression, but in a package I feel looks better.

Where in the heck did you run up on so many 2325's? You certainly can't fault a person who knows what they like.

Dave

I'm with ya on the 2325's Tuned. I just absolutley love the warmth the marantz brings to the sound. This isn't your nitty gritty ss folks. I only use the preamp section of the 2325 these days but I believe thats where most of the strength is.

I agree with what Dave said earlier. These producers were all outstanding. They were involved in a war of "one upmanship" in the late 70's. The quality was there, so they started packing more watts in these babies.

I just bought a Marantz 2385 but it was boiling down to the Pioneer, Marantz, and Sansui. I had bid on ebay for about a month and it came down to late one night with perhaps a little too much scotch in me to be on ebay anyway when I snagged the marantz. I now need a nice pair of speakers for that room.

Currently I'm bidding on some LaScalla's, we'll see.

PS - I should have to blow into one of those breathalizers before I can click on ebay.