RF 7 - Where is it manufactured?

STUDIO 2000

Hi,

I was in a local store in Hot Springs Arkansas today. They had the RF 7, RC 7 in maple, cherry and black. They told me that these speakers are the ones that were manufactured in Hope Arkansas. Can you tell me if some Klipsch is made in another country? Or are they still made here in good old Hope Arkansas? The way the salesman explained it as if some are made overseas.

Also, I could not get a comparison in sound between the Rf7 and RF 62. I liked the RF-62s when I heard them in a different store - its sounded well balanced, but I also liked the Rf7, especially the cherry finish. My room is around 17X13 and I love Movies (Love soundtracks). I would use it for a dedicated home theatre. Any suggestions from those of you who have compared these two or have owned both?

Thanks

Dave

I think your salesman is right, the RF-7s are a US product, and at some point down the food chain there are some made overseas. People love the 7s, and there is a common comment that quality amplification makes a huge difference in realizing their full potential. You can get them on ebay for 999 so make a good deal with your local guy, then enjoy fantastic sound.

$999 for a pair NIB directly from Klipsch lately on Ebay. However, that was for the maple finish. I haven't seen many with the cherry finish lately. There is a pair of maple RF-7s on audiogon for $999 plus shipping right now, "NIB, A-stock," says the ad.

-David

The reference 7 series spks are now discontinued, which is a shame imo, they are great spks. They were made in Hope. They demand excellent amplification. You might try emailing Amy to see what they have available. She is the resident forum house mother here, for those of you who remember your fraternity days. [H]

Welcome to the forum.

The 7's were made in Hope and I am still seeing them on Ebay at 999 a pair + shipping with the full 5 year factory warranty.

The RF-62 is very much in a different class (a lower class.)

The 62's are made in China and are finished in vinyl instead of a the wood veneer of the RF-7's.

In the same class (made in Hope and finished in real wood veneers) are the RF-63's and 83's.

I have a pair of the 63's and I will tell you that the 63's are a very fine speaker system. I really like them.

I would not kick a pair of 62's out of the house mind you, still Klipsch, after all...

~Noah

I have a pair of RF62's and they sound great. I bought them because they where in my price range. If I would have had the money I would bought a "higher class of speakers", maybe the RF7's, but with the 7's I would have had to buy a bigger reciever. I really love my 62's and don't know if I would trade them for a bigger speaker unless I was to move into a house with a bigger living room. But, these guy know there stuff. I'm pretty new at this.

I thought all Klipsch were made in the USA. I'm disappointed.

I have the RF7s, and they are fantastic. With a room that big, and if you like action type movies (Star Wars, LOTR, Black Hawk Down, etc...) you want loud, kick your daddy in the face type impact. If you are only going to watch "chick flick" type moviws, then the 62s might be better. But $999 for a pair of RF7s is pretty darn good.

Get the RF7s!

Here is what I call a really good deal if you are close enough to get them,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250116513103&rd=1&rd=1

WW Stereo is an authorized dealer but these speakers are not new so there should be no warranty.

It's local pick up only (not sure why...)

At the moment the price is $200 for a pair of RF-82's.

Good luck,

~Noah

Not affiliated etc. etc.

Ok - Thanks everyone.

Now what if I stepped it up a notch, and got the RF82. Can anyone comment on the difference between the Rf-7 and Rf-82 as far as sound? I know you will have me audition them, but there is no store where I can compare these two in my area.

I love movie Soundtracks and music, but I also like to hear good mids and highs for more refined sound. I like a good balance in a speaker for HT and music.

Decisions... Decisions.... to think that I was going to go for the Rf-10 and now deciding between these two? So on my list I am really deciding between RF-7, RF-82, or RF-62

Based on what I am looking for as far as sound which could be the better fit?

Appreciate your input.

Dave

Wow- Thanks everyone for your input.

Dr. Who, I think you were the original first poster to my question, and gave me advice on building up this system over time. Now with these RF-7's the only thing working against me is that you need tons of amp to push these. If I purchase these Rf-7's I really wont be able to enjoy them for quite some time, as I dont have the means to get an over $1000 piece of equipment for months. Just a JVC receiver that does about 75W per channel at this point.

If I go with these lower models RF-62 or RF-82, then I could get more variety of receivers to choose from. I didnt think that this would be such a huge decision for me. I dont think my car purchase , or even house purchase had this much thought into it. Must mean that I love music and audio stuff. I am going to listen to a pair of 83, 82 and 62 tomorrow. I am definatley looking for a nice warm sound with a very balanced mid and high. I am looking for an overall performer with music and HT.

Still open to your suggestions. Keep them coming.

Thanks

Dave

My opinion, buy the best spks ( rf-7 ) you can afford. You will enjoy them the longest, maybe a lifetime. You can add amplification as funds allow. They will not sound bad on the right receiver. Pick up a vintage HK 430 or Marantz for "warm" 2 channel & a decent avr for HT to tide you over. I change out equipment much more than spks.

As Amy explained it to me it works like this.....If they have wood veneer, they are still made in hope. If they do not, they are made in China. Made in China, but inspected by American's and built to Klipsch standards, or they do not become Klipsch. 82's are a breat speaker, but buy the 7's or someday soon you will kick yourself very hard for not getting the 7's. I have compared them all and I like the 83's so I am holding out till I am done with school.

• Like 1

Oldtimer, DKP, Arky, HundsonValleyNoah, peshewah, dachuckster, Loud&Clear, DrWho, jacksonbart, xdetroitx

I wanted to thank each one of you for your replies. As you can probably look up my posts, I am still fairly new here. I have been doing research on speakers for quite some time and was set on purchasing the new RF-10 line. Dr.Who suggested that I save and buy piece by piece if I cannot afford it all. That's just what I did. Funny thing is I made this purchase sitting in Arkansas. I am visiting here.

Tonight I purchased my first official pair of Klipsch speakers. I purchased the RF-7 (Maple Color) tonight at $999 for the pair. I have never owned high end audio speakers before. I still have a 9 year old JVC that is 75watt per channel, so I need to start saving again. Dont know if I will be able to use this receiver until I manage to save for something nice? Thanks for all your help and look forward learning more from you.

Dave