QUESTIONS: Removing Vinyl From The Spinning Platter???

Gilbert

I know the prudent thing to do would be to wait till she stops spinning. But, anyone know of a good mat to place down on top that would allow quick fingers to lift the LP right off while she stays spinning???

I know the prudent thing to do would be to wait till she stops spinning. But, anyone know of a good mat to place down on top that would allow quick fingers to lift the LP right off while she stays spinning???

Your TD124 should have the outer platter lift for removing records(and placing records). The lever on the left side raises the outer platter off the inner platter so it stops while the inner platter spins away underneath. Unless you or someone modded to a different platter?

Unless you have a special platter lift like Scott describes, I just wouldn't do it! One slip and your record is spinning its way across your room, hitting the grooves on the 'table spindle and anything else in its way. I guess my Basis comes to a stop fairly quickly so momentum's not an issue, but I suggest you keep a little cloth handy to brake the platter if it is.

Well, I'm at the office right now..... couldn't stay away :( .... I must be one sick puppy, either that or something is terribly wrong with me. Swore I'd stay home the entire long weekend. The kids have called 3 times now, I gotta go to them.

Anyway, when I get home, I'll look into what you said Scott. But, I don't believe there is any apparatus on the left that separates the pad from the spinning platter. The only thing I have on the left side is a platter break, that's it, I'll look into it more closely though. My TT is a Thorens TD124 MK II, and the only difference that I'm aware of is the platter material.... ie. iron versus aluminum. But, I'm out of here now, and heading home till Monday. I'll let you know what I see.

Take care guys, and happy memorial day.... don't forget to thank a VET.

Larry,

Most TD124 motors take about 20 minutes to reach proper speed which is why you need to take records off and on while the platter is still spinning and which is why I assume Gilbert is asking the question.

I can't remember how Allan does it but I think he just is very careful. I don't recall the lever to which Scott is referring although I hope my new 124 has one (Scott???).

Unlike the Basis with its acrylic platter, the Thorens has a rubber mat that grips LPs very nicely. You can't do that with a Basis or like Larry said, it'll fly across the room or worse.

Yea that's probably it. It's not a brake for the entire platter. When set correctly, it will raise the aluminum upper platter cover off of the spinning heavy platter underneath. It's a great feature as it lets the motor and the heavy platter keep spinning, maintaining speed, while you flips sides or change records.

post-15692-13819334133056_thumb.jpg

I never use the brake on my TD-124 as it rubs sometimes, and takes me awhile to stop it from rubbing... therefore, I always just lift the vinyl off the player while it's spinning. I have never had one casualty, and there have been a few times when I was in no condition to do it. [D]

Mike

Gary's correct, in that it's the spin-up time I am trying to avoid. Don't think it really takes 20min's, but it does take a bit of time. Scott, you are also correct, but I'm with Mike on this...... because that initial rubbing sound give me the Ebeegeebees, too. I just don't like to hear that sound, even though it's normal.

So I'll just continue to pretend my cigar fingers are still nibble and lightening fast.... No worry's about vinyl shooting across the room. I've been very careful, but I know there's a mili-second or 2 when the LP actually does slide or rub against the OEM hard rubber mat.

Thanks guys,... hopefully Allan has it figured out, and can let me know if I'm doing any real damage to the music.

Damn, sure wish he'd hurry it up over there, and come on home. I miss him already. [:|]

Vinyl sounds soooo dammmm goood, I really really really really love this music. Been through at least 7 LPs and still counting....

It has been a long time since I've seen one of those mechanisms which lift what I'll call the light platter off the heavy flywheel, and act as a bit of a brake too.

It was used by disk jockies mostly to start records just at the beginning of the cut. Yes the start-up of the heavy flywheel was an issue to be worked around.

For the sake of history:

The output of the turntable would be sent to a monitoring channel, not on the air. The light platter and thus the record disk was not turning but the stylus was placed in the groove. Then you could slip the record forward and back by hand to find the beginning of the cut by hearing it in the monitoring channel. (Of course DJs today use a similar technique to make odd wacka wacka sounds as an art form.)

Once the beginning of the track was detected, you'd rotate the record about and inch or two inch backwards and switch the output to air-feed.

Then you announce: "Here is Question Mark and the Mysterians" and hit the clutch mechanism. The light platter and the record would come up to speed very quickly and thus precise cue-ing was possible.

Then you'd have to do the same thing with the second turntable to set up another cut though the monitor.

= = =

I expect this backwards cue-ing was not very kind to the stylus cantilever or the vinyl, in the best of circumstances.

Again for history: There was a problem with the smaller 45 rpm records. They would not cover the felt on the platter, being of a small diameter. Sometimes in back cue-ing, the stylus would bounce off and catch the felt. This immediate bent the cantilever.

BTW, backwards motion of the vinyl was necessary to detect if certain Beatle recordings did have a backwards encripted message of "I buried Paul."

Now you know some ancient history.

Gil

I have never stopped the platter to change a record - on any of my TT's.

There is just a knack to it - dont ever recall dropping a record in the process either.

Last night I listen to the whole of Il Trovadore (6 sides side six on the back of one, 2 on the back of 5 and 3 and 4 together). It is enough of a pita changing sides as it is without having to stop and start the platter each time.

Actually - for a period of about 3 months I never stopped the platter at all - just left it spinning all day. Didnt seem to hurt anything and I cant imagine it burned much power but I stopped doing that for some reason I now cannot recall.....

Gary's correct, in that it's the spin-up time I am trying to avoid. Don't think it really takes 20min's, but it does take a bit of time. Scott, you are also correct, but I'm with Mike on this...... because that initial rubbing sound give me the Ebeegeebees, too. I just don't like to hear that sound, even though it's normal.

So I'll just continue to pretend my cigar fingers are still nibble and lightening fast.... No worry's about vinyl shooting across the room. I've been very careful, but I know there's a mili-second or 2 when the LP actually does slide or rub against the OEM hard rubber mat.

Thanks guys,... hopefully Allan has it figured out, and can let me know if I'm doing any real damage to the music.

Damn, sure wish he'd hurry it up over there, and come on home. I miss him already. [:|]

Vinyl sounds soooo dammmm goood, I really really really really love this music. Been through at least 7 LPs and still counting....

The scraping sounds means you don't have it adjusted right. Although the scraping isn't hurting anything, it's not pleasant to listen too. It just means when you pull the lever, it's not raising the outer platter high enough. There are 3 large set screws that need to be raised to the correct level. In case you are ever so inclined. They are accessed from underneath. Very simple really although, putting records on and off while the platter is spinning doesn't hurt anything as long as your careful.

This is one of the little screws underneatch the lever. There is a hole in the lever that slides over this pointy screw when lowered. To raise, it slides up on top of the screw, thus lifting the platter. Mikey, you have a heavy piece of glass sitting on top of your platter but I would think it the screws are raised to the correct level, it might still work.

post-15692-13819334137066_thumb.jpg

The 3 screws are at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock position. It''s the skinny "C" shaped stamping the lifts the platter.

Thanks Scott, and I would be so inclined to make the fine tuning. I am a definite tweakst'er, and I will certainly have a go at it. The Thorens TD124 appears simple enough to work on. Thanks again.

Thanks also to Maxy, I know your pretty anal about vinyl, so if it's okay with you, I have no more worries. Ciao'

Larry,

Most TD124 motors take about 20 minutes to reach proper speed which is why you need to take records off and on while the platter is still spinning and which is why I assume Gilbert is asking the question.

I can't remember how Allan does it but I think he just is very careful. I don't recall the lever to which Scott is referring although I hope my new 124 has one (Scott???).

Unlike the Basis with its acrylic platter, the Thorens has a rubber mat that grips LPs very nicely. You can't do that with a Basis or like Larry said, it'll fly across the room or worse.

It's pretty easy to just lift the record off carefully. I have NEVER "lost" one--NEVER!

The problem with the brake mechanism on the TD-124 is that in order the make these tables sound their best, you really need to put a thin sheet of sorbothane between the inner and outer platters--at least I think so-and when you couple the two platters together the brake mechanism can not be used. I have also ditched the stock rubber mat and replaced it with a Ringmat. When you use the Ringmat, it's MUCH easier to pick up the LP off of the spinning platter. I know it seems crazy to spend $100 for a piece of thick paper with some cork rings glued to it, but I don't think I'd be able to make one without tools I don't have access to.

anniv330.JPG

http://www.ringmat.com/html/products/ringmat/story/story.html

It's pretty easy to just lift the record off carefully. I have NEVER "lost" one--NEVER!

The problem with the brake mechanism on the TD-124 is that in order the make these tables sound their best, you really need to put a thin sheet of sorbothane between the inner and outer platters--at least I think so-and when you couple the two platters together the brake mechanism can not be used. I have also ditched the stock rubber mat and replaced it with a Ringmat. When you use the Ringmat, it's MUCH easier to pick up the LP off of the spinning platter. I know it seems crazy to spend $100 for a piece of thick paper with some cork rings glued to it, but I don't think I'd be able to make one without tools I don't have access to.

anniv330.JPG

http://www.ringmat.com/html/products/ringmat/story/story.html

It appears there are several versions of the Ringmat available, so with that said, which version of the ring mat is most effective or appropriate with a TD124 ?

Sorry for the possible stupid question, but like I once told you... I know nothing about TT's, Styluses, SPU's etc. etc. etc.

I agree with Max. I have a few records [:$] and I would not risk it if it was unsafe but I leave my tnt spinning if Im going to listen any time soon all the time until Im sure Im done. But what do I know?

Charlie

Hey Scott, thanks for the info on those three screws. I will give those a try when I get a free moment. I have removed the glass platter for the time being and am presently using a Herbie's mat, which I like a lot. It too makes it easy to pull an lp off of the table. I'll bet I have 500 hours on my DL-103 and it still sounds fantastic. Not sure of the life expectancy of these cartridges, but I would imagine its starting to run its course.

Mike