Tubes for the AH Njoe Tjoeb

jcmusic

What have you guys decided are the best sounding tubes to use in this CDP?

Jay

Single most effective improvement is the Upsampler. Do you have it?

For tubes, if you want what's recommened by the manuf., and with good reason, you will want a pair of Seimens CCa tubes (gray plates), the Telefunkens CCa are also every bit as good. I've rolled different pairs from Mullard 10M 6DJ8's (my least favorites), RCA 6922's, Telefunken E88CC, Valvo pinched waist E88CC, Seimens E88CC, Bugle Boy E88CC. Their all good, except for the mullards, but that's just my opinion, you may love them.

How about some more information on the upsampler? I have one of these CD players.

Greg

Greg,

I was skeptical that it would make enough difference to be worth the cost. I'd read a review which said listening with the upsampler was like removing a veil from the music. I'd listened for a few months stock and then added the upsampler. I was pleasantly surprised that I could her a difference and it was pleasing. IMO, it does kick it up a notch. If you do much critical listening you'll probably enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

OK guys I have moved on to the upsampler from the stock OP amps, and I am very happy with the outcome. I have also decided that the best sounding tubes in my system are the Amperex 6DJ8's/A frame getter design. They just get it right IMO, others I tried that were good also were the Siemmens ECC288's, Phillips 6922's, and RCA 6DJ8's. There were a couple others, but these were the best in my system.

Jay

I think I've read somewhere a while back the upsampler just plugs into the slots from the original unit, is that correct? No soldering needed? Does anyone know about how much the upsampler costs?

• 14 years later...

I still have mine. Had to sink some money into it a couple of years ago, after putting it back into commission. Turns out the power board and the upsampler crapped out. Kevin gave me the exchange price on both parts, so the refurb cost wasn't too bad. Works like a champ now.