HELP - CT125's and modified A's

First let me start by saying I've tried the search feature and still don't understand. I've read countless posts of charts, graphs and figures but I don't understand them. I'm no sound expert, but I know what I hear. So what I am asking for now is what people hear. First off let me explain my speakers and componets. I have a new HK solid state amp, pair of 1983 La Scalas with OLD AA crossovers, k-55-m mids, k77 tweeters and the k-33 woofer. I enjoy the sound but sometimes it's not as great as I would like. I like to listen to music low to mid most of the time, but every once in a while I like to crank it up. If I change my tweeters to the CT125's and purchase modified A's from Bob, am I going to notice that big of a difference? I'm guessing it will probably sound good at low volumes but what about at very loud volumes. Do I lose my high volume clarity? Basically what I trying to ask is, has anyone done this upgrade and noticed a really big difference? Big enough to go WOW at all volume levels? Or would I get more of a WOW factor purchasing a set of Bob AL-3's and keeping my current K-77's. Thanks in advance, I need some help making up my mind (seems like these questions have been eating away at me for some time but maybe the answer is to quit wanting more).

I went with rebuilt AA's for my Belle's but have not gone the tweeter route yet. Big difference with new caps in the crossovers.

I listen a lot like you do until I have the house to myself then its lets just see how good this song sounds cranked up.

Just dont go MAD trying to make up your mind. Later Bill

Definitely do the upgrade on the Crossovers. BIG difference. I'm running the Crites CT125 tweets and Love them.I'm using Bob's parts mostly in my crossovers. I'm also using his cast frame woofers that replace the K-33. I listen at all levels. Low to extremely loud. No weak spots in the Crites. Anywhere. Everyone has different tastes and hearing.

Want more? This audio stuff always has left me wanting more, better, best.

Harry

While most by far have liked Bob's CT 125's, a few have not. Although it did increase the clarity throughout the entire range, including the bass, Garymd, Allan, and I thought it called too much attention to itself and detracted from the musicality of the system. We're in the minority.

I suggest you get your crossover updated and see how you like it, and then consider other steps. My $0.02, YMMV.

Great info, I think I'll start with the networks. Now any opinions on crossovers. Modified A's, AA's or AL-3's. I would like to purchase on of these from Bob, but I'm kind of unsure which one will perform the best at all volume levels? Just a note, I don't have enough money for ALK's.

Thank for any info.

First thing I did was replace the caps in the AA crossovers of my 1974 La Scalas and I noticed an immediate improvement in clarity. Next, I installed a pair of CT125 tweeters, which helped even more, with a more natural decay on each note of music and more realistic highs, particularly on cymbals and the like. The tweeter volume seemed just a little lower than the K-77s, which made the bass seem a little more full, a good thing to my ears.

The speakers sound good from low levels all the way up to pretty loud. I understand that some other crossovers sound better at high volume, but not so good at low volume. For my listening, jazz, some rock, some movies, mostly low to mid volume but occasionally pretty loud, I'm really happy with this setup.

"I'm guessing it will probably sound good at low volumes but what about at very loud volumes."

gentle sloping xovers are not good at very loud volumes

" Do I lose my high volume clarity? "

with gentle sloping xovers, yes you will loose clarity at high volume's

"I'm guessing it will probably sound good at low volumes but what about at very loud volumes."

Are the AA and AL-3's gentle slope?

I've done some listening to Heritage speakers with the CT 125 tweeters and type A crossovers and type A crossed at 4500hz. IMO, my Khorns sounded their best decked out thusly.

The CT125 is a drop in replacement for the K77, so it needs no crossover mods to use nicely. Your AA crossovers will need to be recapped anyway. One option, Bob provides is to make your AA crossovers convertible to Type A just by changing a connection. Also, the 4500hz mod can be added (it's just a single inductor and additional cap to change the value) and made to be convertible to have the option of crossing at the stock 6000hz or 4500hz. This makes the K55 sound better not driving it til it poops out at 6000 hz.

Since you have the K55M drivers, the appropriate (historically correct) networks would be the AL2 or AL3. I'd suggest an AL3 design.

I have LSBR's with K55M's and BEC's AA's in them, but my room has very thick carpet and warm sounding wood paneling, so the extra bump in mid output is welcomed.

For your uses, moving the A or AA would not be advised, both because of the High output/low order network and the K55M.

"Since you have the K55M drivers, the appropriate (historically correct) networks would be the AL2 or AL3. I'd suggest an AL3 design.

I have LSBR's with K55M's and BEC's AA's in them, but my room has very thick carpet and warm sounding wood paneling, so the extra bump in mid output is welcomed.

For your uses, moving the A or AA would not be advised, both because of the High output/low order network and the K55M. "

Would it be possible to explain a little better? I think your trying to say that since I have the k-55-m, the AA's won't be as good as the AL-3's. What does the AL-3's have that make them different? By the way, thanks for sharing your knowlegde.

LaScala1983 - With the AL-3's, there's less overlap at least at the area where the mid morphs to the tweet. It's a steeper slope there which (from what I understand) offers less distortion. I have a hangover & am exhausted and have fuzzy brain (can't talk/type well)..... but for me, I struggled with not good sound for a year with my khorns till I found another pair that had AK-3's (alledgedly the same as AL-3). Boom! Instant fantastic sound. CLEAR, clean, far more crystal. Certainly at higher volumes. By high volumes (for ME), I tested it in the 90db range +.

But where I differ on people's comments is that I feel the improvement with that crossover is across the board - high AND low volumes. For 'me', nothing suffers at low volumes. I'd SO go with the AL-3 over the A/AA. A no-brainer IMO. So strongly do I feel this that I find it hard to believe that more people didn't jump on here suggesting the same. :) I'd do the crossovers first and live with that before changing out tweeters. And if you do want to go with the CT-125 tweets at some point, I may have a pair for sale.

LaScala1983 - With the AL-3's, there's less overlap at least at the area where the mid morphs to the tweet. It's a steeper slope there which (from what I understand) offers less distortion. I have a hangover & am exhausted and have fuzzy brain (can't talk/type well)..... but for me, I struggled with not good sound for a year with my khorns till I found another pair that had AK-3's (alledgedly the same as AL-3). Boom! Instant fantastic sound. CLEAR, clean, far more crystal. Certainly at higher volumes. By high volumes (for ME), I tested it in the 90db range +.

But where I differ on people's comments is that I feel the improvement with that crossover is across the board - high AND low volumes. For 'me', nothing suffers at low volumes. I'd SO go with the AL-3 over the A/AA. A no-brainer IMO. So strongly do I feel this that I find it hard to believe that more people didn't jump on here suggesting the same. :) I'd do the crossovers first and live with that before changing out tweeters. And if you do want to go with the CT-125 tweets at some point, I may have a pair for sale.

Thanks SO MUCH for this info. This is exactly the type of info I've dying to hear. You've made up my mind, I going to order a pair of AL-3's. Thanks again for answering my question in EXACTLY the way I needed.