dvd players that do cd quality playback?

UFObuster

The story: My weak link is my dvd/cd player. As reviewed, my Yamaha DVD-C750 is an adequate video player and decent "redbook" CD player. My complaint is that it's set-up lacks in bass management, and it's very SLOW loading...clunky. I'm using all Klipsch with Rotel separates. Don't yet want to get into the DVD-HD market. I'm mostly into music playback...good surround while preserving 2 channel capability and DVD-A, SACD, etc.

So, in 2007, is it possible to get decent CD quality and DVD playback in the same box? I'm looking at short-term solutions for video such as Oppo products, however, I'm very attracted to the old Denon 2910 which I hear has very good music playback with good video features. It's still available at great discounts...under $400.

I'm sure there will be a good dedicated CD player in my future...maybe a Jolida....but for now, I need a reasonable compromise that compliments my current system. Suggestions or other comparisons ?

Thanks, Roger

I recently got a Sony S9000ES vintage 2001 for 2channel CD's only. Fantastic at $335 on ebay. It blew my vintage 1990 $3500 CD player out of the water.There are several CD types this will not play[cdr/cdrw] but this unit sells almost the same price as the next 2003 year model that plays most CD formats. My guess is 2001 model has better DAC's and other parts. It weighs a lot more. The 9000 does play stereo and hybrid SACD's but not multichannel. Playing SACD's has become almost a non issue for me. I have 600 regular CD's that will take me a year to play. I hear things on them I never heard before. Badly recorded CD's however, sound horrible, as you might expect,and go to the basement.This is the CD player Dean has which he raves about.

You can get a vintage Denon 2900 for around $400 as well. I believe it is more like the newer Denon 3910.

I use the 2900 and love it. As ZuZu mentioned though, multi channel music has become a non-factor any more.

On my 2 channel system, I use a Denon MK 2800 II, which has excellent DAC's as well.

1) OPPO Digital DV-981HD DVD Player with HDMI Output and DVD-Audio/SACD Playback

The
OPPO Digital DV-981HD bridges the gap between standard DVD quality and
Blu-ray/HD-DVD. On-board
Faroudja video processing. HDMI connectivity,
DVD-Audio, SACD, and Divx playback. For less than $230 it performs as well as, or
better than, more expensive units.

2) Pioneer Elite DV-46A Universal DVD Player with HDMI Interface

Pioneer
was the first to introduce the Universal DVD player.
In addition to SACD and DVD-Audio, the 46A also has the ability to play
CDR/RW, MP3-CDs, and DVD-R/DVD-RW discs as outputting a progressive
scan video signal and 720p/1080i upscaling via its HDMI output.
And as far as 1080p... What's available in 1080p? Really, nothing at this point except HD pre-recorded content, which requires a separate HD player. DVDs are 540 and today's high-def broadcasts are done in
either 1080i or 720p, and there's no chance they'll jump to
1080p any time soon because of bandwidth issues. And even the new spectrum assignments simply will not accommodate them.

I purchased a Denon 955 (same as 2910) about 4 months ago from onecall.com for $349 new in box. It is everything that audioholics.com says it is. I have been very happy with it as a DVD or CD player, not to mention DVDA and SACD. IMO this unit does everything quite well for the price point. You can find 2910's and 955's on ebay. The only difference in the units is the original supply channel.

I recently purchased a 2910 brand new for $279.00 and it is fantastic for audio. At the price you can pick one up nowadays, you should jump on one. I a-b'd it against a $1300.00 cd only player and this thing sounded better. This has been one of my best purchases yet. With more to come, hopefully. .

Tom

Thanks for the replies so far...I think I'm on track looking at the Denon 2910 and 2900, Oppo, and the Sony 9000 mentioned above which is new to me...Left out the Pioneer.

I agree that multi-channel is a non issue but I own some....and want it if I can get it. I'm a relative newby....spent a lot of money to find out how really good my old CDs can sound. So I'm trying not to make a mistake after investing about $4K in electronics and then trying to get good music out of a cheap DVD player....but still, I've got to compromise a little while longer....likely will go with one of the Denons now and hope that Santa has a Jolida CD player in my future..

Last question: The Oppo is known for excellent video....is it really OK with CD playback?....or is that wishful thinking?

Roger

I recently purchased a 2910 brand new for $279.00 and it is fantastic for audio. At the price you can pick one up nowadays, you should jump on one. I a-b'd it against a $1300.00 cd only player and this thing sounded better. This has been one of my best purchases yet. With more to come, hopefully. .

Tom

I recently due to tom b 57 (thank you again) brought the denon 2910 and its been a dream, great dvd player, it plays dvd a and sacd (dunno since I never had any before) and cds (really great) If you have a bestbuy with a magnolia nearby check to see if they have it in stock, they are 279.99 but I got mine at 229.99 because mine was an open box.... It was actually in the demo area (not the rack) where it was below a tv, heck even the person had a hard trouble locating it. I looked at it and it had no scratches or even smudge marks. It was great for even less due to the open box lack of box. The manual I printed out, the dvd player works great. Goto a local bestbuy with the magnolia store and ask if they still have them. If not, ask them to do an RSS (store to store search).

Oldbuckster, Audio Research has taken the CD only route and their latest cd only player is about $7900. Boy would I love to hear one of those. Sigh or would I? Who else makes CD only? and at what price?

Oh MY, that's way out of my price range................I can't imagine spending that much for a CD player............I have a Sony ES cd player, forget the model number, spent about $200. brand new in the 90's, never gave me any trouble.............and a Sony DVD player, again forget the model number, to lazy to go downstairs and look, a couple of years ago, great service form that unit too. It will play DVD's, CD's, SACD's etc., but I only use it for DVD's. I just think it's hard to do double duty with a DVD player.................I'm probably wrong, but that's my story. I like Sony products, but maybe next CD player I'll look at something like Oppo......................Please remember, I'm an old dawg, and old dawgs don't hear as well as young Dogs..........

It's funny to see everyone say the Oppo 981 is on this list. I have it & am amazed at the DVD playback, but I found the CD playback was very flat & unimpressive compared to my Adcom CD.

Is everyone using the analog outputs during CD playback?

I am curious... If a DVD can not play cd's with decent sound quality what happens with DVD movies? will they sound bad also.. there is music with the movie.

Remember, when you are playing a movie, most people use the digital out to a receiver. That means that the receiver is responsible for the sound quality, & the player is just a transport. In this case, they "should" all sound the same.

It's funny to see everyone say the Oppo 981 is on this list. I have it & am amazed at the DVD playback, but I found the CD playback was very flat & unimpressive compared to my Adcom CD.

Is everyone using the analog outputs during CD playback?

I have to agree,I had a 981,great video,so so audio.I now have a 970,a little better audio,video pretty close,981 slightly better.That said,I have a 2910 and had a 2900 for years,both only ok for cd's,the Cambridge is better to my ears,only my opinion mind ya.

You can have a great all in one unit. Look at the Denon 3910.

OK, I looked at the 3910.....discounted now under $500.

Reviews suggest excellent audio quality...and that's why I'm here. Am I dreaming or can I get this to playback CDs with quality?...or should I be over in the 2 channel forum asking about dedicated products such as the Jolida 100a and throw in some mail-order DVD player just to get video. I know that these DVD players will never equal a dedicated player but by HOW much? Is it that BIG a deal? I can live with "average" video but I want exceptional audio without having to buy 2 boxes....is the "cake and eat it too" a fantasy or is it possible?

Anyone with experience in comparing these lines??