WTB Tube Preamp Help!

HarryO

Tears on my pillow! My old Pas-2 preamp gave up the ghost last night. Original 1960. No mods, original tubes. Not bad for a 46 year old piece of electronics. Left channel died. I'm going to rebuild it and I'll order the boards and caps today.

I need a Tube preamp NOW. I just ordered a new one and It's being built or in line to be built now. But it may be a month or even more.

Anyone got a decent tube Preamp that they want to sell or loan me until my new one arrives. I'm in Indy. I hate buying one just to use for a month or so.

If you're close I'll hop in the truck and head that way.

HarryO

hbailey1@earthlink.net

Thank you

Harry,

I've got a Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, but it would be sort of pricey for a short term solution. What I'd suggest is to get a Super T or Trends tripath amp and enjoy one of those little sweethearts while you are waiting on your tubes to get together. They are $130 plus shipping and they have killer IMO sound.

edit: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/27/899354/ShowThread.aspx Here's a forum member with a Trends on road show being sent to forum members for an audition.

I just checked their site and didn't see a straight preamp. Anything else around?

Help!

I've got 4 SS pre amps but I can't listen to my music like this. So much of the sound is gone. It just sounds dead and flat. The live sound is missing.

Sick in Indy

HarryO

Wish I could be of some assistance, but I can't help you................Sorry, what a bummer................EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry, do I understand Arfandbark is hooking up with you for Klipsch Indy? Damn, I'd love to hang with you guys..........We could probably get into a little mischief outhere.............Oh Boy.........better I stay in the New York wilderness..........

I just went down and bought enough parts to patch up the Pas-2. Maybe. Just guessing mind you. I have the original assembly book for it. Seems Like I'll have to put on the tri-focals and actually work on something of my own.

Yep, That's the plan. Arf and I have decided to stay sober and out of jail if at all possible. Heck OB, come on down. 3 hots and a cot await.

I'll probably be incarcerated 4th of July weekend anyway. A half dozen of my old USMC buddies come into town for the holiday and stay for a week or so. It has been known to happen. I guess I should call ahead and make reservations at the Marion County Jail for the 4th. Avoid the rush.

I'll layout a deposit to borrow a good Pre If anyone has one fairly local. I'm not allergic to interstates.

Harry

hbailey1@earthlink.net

thanks guys. (gals)

I just checked their site and didn't see a straight preamp. Anything else around?

Help!

I've got 4 SS pre amps but I can't listen to my music like this. So much of the sound is gone. It just sounds dead and flat. The live sound is missing.

Sick in Indy

HarryO

C'mon ...Harry ..

You ... seem to have common sense ....

buy a SS B&K .. for a $100..

it'll get ya by ...[:)]

Duke,

I've got a couple of high end SS pre's. It just ain't the same partner. Not even close. I'm spoiled. I might as well listen to a transistor radio or boombox. I wouldn't expect much out of them so I wouldn't be disappointed.

Harry

Ok Duke,

I tried the Crown IC150 first. ok, nothing special. Next the McIntosh C26. Much better but still lifeless. Yamaha C90. YUK! Yamaha C40. I can't use that kind of language on here. I just hooked up an old Heathkit preamp and threw in a set of good tubes in it. I'd forgotten about it until I looked up the model #s so I could reply to your post. I bought it on Ebay a couple of months ago for the Original Mullards in it. I don't know if it works or not. I don't see a model # on it. It has the steel top finished off in an "Alligator black skin" vinyl. Any ideas what it might be. Heck, i'll post a pic of it in a sec.

post-24628-13819334154874_thumb.jpg

Never mind. It's shot. Nada output. tubes are good. I'll continue to try to revive the Pas-2. Working on it between posts. That's why I'm a bit slow with the replies.

At this point I'm still looking for a TUBE preamp for a month or so.

Thanks,

Harry

I have Sonic Impact T - interegrated amplfier - I know that idea was ditched but if you were curious about toying with one, I can sell you mine for 90+shipping. also have the power adapter that will be include.

Its the newer one by the way. All silver one.

Sorry I must be lost on the conversation now.

I went to get a pair of rectifier caps and just got back. I don't see how it could cause my problem but one was definitely bad. I've noticed the Stereo Blend (monophonic/stereo) switch is totally not working. I'm working in that area right now trying to run down the problem. I don't do enough of this stuff anymore to be efficient at it. I ought to stick to "rotary dail tv's". It's about my speed anymore.

Anybody ever ran into this before? Losing a channel and the blend switch not changing?

Harry

Whew!!

The Pas-2 is back up and running. Both channels up and even again. My expertise in changing parts got it up again. I've no idea what fixed it. Luck is as good as knowledge at times. I've had it running all day. Clear as a "bell"

I'm still interested in another tube preamp. I am going to rebuild the old Heathkit pre but I basically freaked out not having my system not sounding like it can and should.

I am still looking for a decent tube preamp. I'm not going to be caught with my pants (pre) down again.

I've got a pair of Belles and a couple of pairs of LS I might be willing to trade (not all of them) for a good preamp if I can't buy one soon. Last resort though.

Harry hbailey1@earthlink.net

Thank you for the Audiogon link. I've been looking there and on Ebay.

I don't know the seller or the preamp either one. Buying used I'm very cautious. Call me faithful or leary but I'd rather do business here on the Klipsch forum where I find myself having complete trust in the members here.

I had considered the JM BBX but I wanted a silver finish and didn't see the option available on the site. I ended up ordering another McAlister Preamp to match my McAlister PP-150 amp. I talked to Peter M on the phone yesterday and the Pre is a couple of weeks away from assembly. I'm also getting the newest design of his preamp. Great person to deal with in all areas. www.mcalisteraudio.com is a must to check out for a super audio product. I love my Macs but soundwise the McAlister PP-150 is No.1 here.

Harry