Klipsch dealer story (from 6moons)

kev313

Can you tell me how the RF series differs sound wise from the heritage series?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

kind of like different flavors from that same hometown dairy ice cream.

In the RF 2 ways I can hear the crossover point. In my Belles I lose under 40 hz information.

As for the "in your face" comment. I like to think of properly configured heritage as sitting in the front of the main floor or balcony of a fine orchestra hall. other speakers sound like the back of the hall.

Me?

I would prefer to sit with my legs dangling over the lip of the orchestra pit.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your investigation.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I would prefer to sit with my legs dangling over the lip of the orchestra pit.

LOL!!

I recently got to hear the RL Acoustique Lamhorns and to some extent this is what I heard. It really reached into the room and energized it. It was a very exciting presentation. After that I started wondering about the Klipsch horns. I'd love to find something that I could use in my living room that would do that.

Thanks for your input.

JP

"The Heritage really does have some good mid-range, but I've heard
complaints that it can be "in your face". I guess that is why many
folks like to use lower-power tube amplifications. Me, being a heavy
metal type of guy, I do like it hard and loud! (Probably why I am
jonesing for a pair of Cornwall III's now! "

In your face can be exciting as long as the speaker's not too bright and edgy. Some speakers invite you in for a closer listen, some speakers prefer to take the fun right to you. Which you like depends on the room and your personal tastes. Or even your mood!

I'm a speaker guy, I love all flavors. Where personal preference is concerned, I find that I'm very tolerant of what a speaker doesn't do in favor of what it does. It's all about compromise. And I don't believe that there's some absolute sound. Everybody has different baselines for comparison and thusly we all have different criteria as to what sounds real. As a reviewer, I believe that all you have to do is describe what a product does well and be fair about what it doesn't and it'll find its own audience. As for my personal tastes? Depends on my mood. Right now I really want something that'll fit in my own living room and reach out to me. I want something immediate, direct and dynamic.

You know that question people ask... when you walk by a room in which live music is being played...how do you know it's live music? I think the number one clue is dynamics. I've been to all kinds of venues and they all sound vastly different. The one thing all live music has in common is dynamics, be they on the micro or the macro level.

JP

He should have called Gary, who has the best near field Khorn setup in the region. Then he could have gone upstairs to hear Cornwalls. If that's not enough, he would have gotten red carpet treatment at no extra charge. Audio boutiques - BAH! It's all about HT these days.

He should have called Gary, who has the best near field Khorn setup in the region. Then he could have gone upstairs to hear Cornwalls. If that's not enough, he would have gotten red carpet treatment at no extra charge. Audio boutiques - BAH! It's all about HT these days.

I would pay good money to read John's review of Garymd system! Not a long ride I would think.

As for my personal tastes? Depends on my mood. Right now I really want something that'll fit in my own living room and reach out to me. I want something immediate, direct and dynamic.

At least in my setup, with my 200 watt solid-state amp, these RF-7s certainly are delivering on the "direct and dynamic" part! One reason why I got them is that they do fit in my room much better than any of the Heritage series (there is no way I could get a pair of Khorns to work in this particular room, for example, but with a bit of finagling, I probably could cram in a pair of LaScalas or Cornwalls), plus the RF-7s are part of a home-theater setup, thus finding the matching center and surrounds (not to mention the space to place them) worked out much better with going with the Reference line. However, down in my basement, I have a large room that would nicely accommodate a pair of Khorns. I guess when I get some extra money and time, I'd like to setup a second two-channel system with Khorn or Cornwalls, with a vinyl rig and good tube amplification.

I would pay good money to read John's review of Garymd system! Not a long ride I would think.

Well, I extended an invitation to him for the VA/MD/DC get-together on October 20th, since it sounds like he is in the general area. I don't want to speak for Larry or Gary (Larry's system is certainly no slouch either, if you want a near-field Khorn experience!), but I am willing to bet they would love to have John come and attend this (plus Larry is right up the road in Bethesda from that Meyer Emco dealer).

Right now I really want something that'll fit in my own living room and reach out to me. I want something immediate, direct and dynamic.

JP

Sounds like La Scala II's are an excelent choice to be pursuing. I think they'll be a great match for what you've mentioned above.

I'm a Cornwall guy, which means I haven't graduated to khorns or jubilees yet. I have a bit of a hangup with the compromised bottom end of the La Scala's and Belle's, and for that matter the Heresy's. I believe the cornwalls are a more full range, standalone offering. That being said, I crossover my system, both 2.1 and 5.1 at 100 hz, with a Velodyne DD-12 sub doing everything below 100. I've tried all of its crossover settings from 40 to 160 and prefer the sound of the 100 hz. So I leave it there. That being said, there's really no reason for me to be hung up on limited bottom end on La Scala's, Belle's and Heresy's, I just have to convince myself by hearing them with a nice sub. I'm hooked on the 20 hz bass the velodyne delivers, so I'm not sure I'll be able to settle for a sub-less system anymore anyway.

Regarding your dealer experience, I have felt low at times too about that. Things could be so much better if the dealers were showing the full Klipsch lines and showing them properly. The owner/manager of one dealer in town here, just showed me a Klipsch Reference series 3 brochure (series 4 came out Jan 2006) claiming it was the latest lineup. This is such a passion for me, its hard for me to accept that there are people RUNNING these businesses who don't know their products. I can accept a young sales kid not knowing anything, but owners and seasoned sales people ought to be fired up about their product and learning about it inside out like I do.

I talked at length one day with the primary salesman at the other better Klipsch dealer in town here, about the plight of 2 channel Klipsch heritage popularity. I learned alot about why things are currently the way they are for 2 channel high end stuff. I still have a hard time believing that if dealers had Cornwall III's on the floor playing for people, that they wouldn't sell them ALOT more than not having them at all in the the store. Opening peoples eyes with demonstrations that take their breath away, I would love to do that all day long. And getting $500 commissions for each of 20 Khorn sales each day, that would be nice too.

I hope you find what you're looking for in Klipsch and this bunch, and that you find reason to stick around and learn with us. Like Dtel's wife said, there are some really special, passionate, driven people on here, and that's just covering the Klipsch Employees who contribute.

Holy crap! Evel Knievel just called! He wants permission to jump your speakers! Personally, I don't think he can do it! I hope you've normally got them in at least two different rooms!

Tell me what you're doing with them all!

JP

That one put coffee on the screen. One of the funniest comments I have read in a while - welcome to the forum - you have just experienced the Colter-effect. Michael bought so many of Klipsch's speakers they hired him in the end.

Basically going to a dealer to audition Heritage is a bit of a waste of time - anywhere in the world. You can almost always find owners nearby who are invariably delighted to demonstrate their systems and this will give you a much better impression.

I am in Athens, Greece and I have a choice of about 5 homes I can visit at the drop of a hat with KHorns - all within the city limits.

As for the disinterest shown by the salesmen - the lack of optimised facilities and so on I can tell you it is not unique to audio. Not too long ago I was looking for a new car. I went into a local Subaru dealership and was totally ignored whilst, I presume the owner, chatted and drank coffee with what looked like a friend. Couldn't give a damn. I hoped in and out of various cars - looked as interested as I could, opened the hood of one of the cars - basically did everything I could do baring driving one off his forecourt and not a flicker of interest.

I left and ended up buying something else - it obviously mattered not to him. I bet Subaru wouldn't be too pleased if they found out but I can't see why I should help them as they so tangibly failed to help me.

Back on topic - amplification. Depending on who you talk to, the music you listen to, the size of your listening room and a variety of other factors you need something between 1 and 500 watts to drive a KHorn. Most on here use tubes and are in the 3.5 to 60 wpc area.

There are 2 amp manufacturers on this site that make amps suitable for use with Khorns - with happy customers on here too. Check out the Nosvalves VRD (www.nosvalves.com I think) and the Juicy music pCat - (www.juicymusicaudio.com - again I think). Juicy music also make pre-amps that are very popular (and might even have been reviewed by your own publication if memory serves).

John welcome to the forum!

I read your recent article about your problems auditioning a pair of Klipschorns and feel your pain.

Finding dealers that carry properly set up Klipsch Heritage speakers is almost impossible to find these days. I am impressed you found a dealer that even had Klipschorns!! Also I am not surprissed they did not help you much since that pair of Klipschorns has probably been in that store for 5-10 years and the salesperson gave up once they found out you were interested in the Klipschorns.

I have only owned Klipsch speakers starting with Heresys in 1985 and then going to KLF 20s and finaly getting a pair of 2004 La Scalas.

If you really want to hear Klipsch Heritage with lots of different equipment then the VA/MD/DC get-together on October 20th is your best bet! Bring the equipment you want to use with the La Scala II and you will get a idea of how La Scala II would sound with your equipment.

I have 2004 La Scalas and love them! I've used 3.5 watts, 35 watts, and 100 watt amps and they all sounded great witht the LS.

Good luck with your Klipsch quest!!

Just sign up for our Pilgrimage and write about that experience. I doubt if you will find any other loudspeaker manufacturer in the World so willing to open it's doors and show you it's wares.

If you're a 'speaker guy' this is a MUST SEE.

Michael

Michael

Yes to what Michael says!!

Don't

feel that you should not attend because you have not been a longtime

Klipscher...they welcome one and all. Sounds like they have some

great demos planned. I have never attended but still love to

read about the "experience" from afar. And maybe Michael

will get to show you his "House of Klipsch".[H]

I'm hoping Coytee jumps in here with an invitation to hear his Jubilee setup...heh heh heh

I don't think John wants to hear something that'll make him cry and want to get rid of his current home for a new one that will have room enough for them?

[;)]

John, welcome. You are not going to remember me as I have NO idea what my screen name was but I use be in Compuserve years and years ago, and frequented a location where you hung out. I even contemplated some speakers you always spoke highly of but simply could not get away from my love of Klipsch.

I do think Shawn (Fogg) was also a regular in the same exact place, or perhaps one very similar. Took me an email with Shawn to verify that it was one in the same. I was talking to someone, and again this is years ago so I have no more than a cursory memory of it, who was a big pal of yours. About the only thing I recall from that conversation was his use of your last name when referencing you as opposed to your first name. The thing that caught me there was I was mispronouncing your last name with a long O. Just some trivia for you.

Ok, so Gaspr has called my spade a spade... John, if you have any interest in hearing the Jubilees, you're welcome to swing by when you're in the neighborhood!!

whew...I feel better now....somehow more clean!

[:D]

Michael

Yes to what Michael says!!

Don't feel that you should not attend because you have not been a longtime Klipscher...they welcome one and all. Sounds like they have some great demos planned. I have never attended but still love to read about the "experience" from afar. And maybe Michael will get to show you his "House of Klipsch".[H]

I agree with both of them. They are also evidently, going to have at least one pair of Jubilees there, which of course, would negate your need to come to beautiful East Tennessee and see my humble abode by the lake.

John - Welcome to the forum.  As the others have said, I think that you will find this place to be among the best resources for Klipsch information.  You will find that many here are very willing to open their homes to guests.  I am sure that you will have an offer for a Klipsch get together.  That should make a great addition to the SixMoons "Road Tour" series.

To address your questio, although I no longer have Klipsch, I do keep to a type pf horn with Oris 150 horns (AER MD-3 drivers) on JBL bassbins.  I use Shindo Sinhonia on the JBL with either a push pull Shindo Montille (el84 based) or 45 based SET amp by Kurashima on the horns.  When I had Klipsch Cornwalls I used Welborne Moondogs or Wright Sound 3.5's (both 2a3 SET), a Scott 299d, and a Jolida 302b.

Your review was unfortunately all too common an experience. There is little respect for two channel in the audio stores nowadays. The Klipsch Pilgrimages are fun and alternate between Indy and Hope which build s and sells Heritage, RF, and pro cinema. I haven't made the trip to Indy yet but I have been to Hope several times to hear the Jubilees and see the Khorns being built which was a huge treat. They also have an factory museum which is astounding IMO and worth every bit of the trip to Hope, AR. Here are some pics from the last couple years http://picasaweb.google.com/iain42/AudioHistoryPics.

Not all but many forum members have found Heritage to be a fine match for tube amps. I am currently running some old school McIntosh MC30s and have tried 300B SET which is still my favorite. I would like to audition some of the forum members wares like the pcats or vrds. I like to think of Klipsch Heritage as inclusive when it come to amplification.

Oh yeah Congrats ob the La Scalas they are beautiful and welcome.

Just sign up for our Pilgrimage and write about that experience. I doubt if you will find any other loudspeaker manufacturer in the World so willing to open it's doors and show you it's wares.

I agree Michael...

Besides Klipsch has given a few speakers away last few years (HINT HINT) you need to be there... TO WIN!!

It is an amazing experience to see engineering, demo rooms full of great gear, and hear a LOT of gear and of course....Hang out with all us audio nuts too!

I would highly suggest you come too!

BTW, the HT room (17x30) is GREAT for 2 channel too... 2 scala's and the THX subs..OMG!! Imaging is so perfect, you SWEAR there is someone in the middle..

I agree Michael...

Besides Klipsch has given a few speakers away last few years (HINT HINT) you need to be there... TO WIN!!

It is an amazing experience to see engineering, demo rooms full of great gear, and hear a LOT of gear and of course....Hang out with all us audio nuts too!

I would highly suggest you come too!

BTW, the HT room (17x30) is GREAT for 2 channel too... 2 scala's and the THX subs..OMG!! Imaging is so perfect, you SWEAR there is someone in the middle..

Ditto also meeting the Klipsch staff is a real treat as they are a big family that care deeply about two channel. Perhaps the 60th anniversary KHorns are still hooked up ;)

I'm starting an uncalled for rumor that Amy will be there modeling that soft T-shirt she's been bragging about...or with our luck

She'll hire out the Chippendale dancers to wear them... sigh...

[Z][Z][Z][Z][Z][Z][Z][Z][Z][Z]

(in my best imatation of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space)

DOOMED, I am now doomed...doooooooooomed I say.... Miss Amy is now sure to ban me