• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

". I've tried every variation on wall outlets, circuits,
interconnects and so on and the only time the buzz disappears is when
the interconnect is unhooked from the amp's inputs. "

That is either a ground loop or just noise from somewhere ahead of the chain. If you want to try tracking it down further unplug everything from your receiver. Then plug the receiver into the amp and see if you still have the buzz or not.

If not then plug components back into the receiver one at a time until the noise comes back. That will tell you which one the loop is one.

If you still have the noise with just the receiver/amp connected it is noise in the receiver itself. Try something like these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=266-244

Between the amp/receiver and see if that quiets down the noise for you.

Shawn

John-welcome to the forum. I had a similar disappointment not too long ago when I visited a Klipsch dealer who actually had a pair of the 60th anniversary K-Horns in stock & on display (and yes, even hooked up!!!). They were sharing a room with a pair of B&W speakers (I'm unsure of the model) and the salesman nearly sneered when I totally ignored the B&W's and asked him if I could hear the Klipshorns. I always wonder where this attitude comes from, especially in regards to Klipsch products.

-David

Hi Jeff,

Any speaker that can do 40 Hz well will sound surprisingly full in the bass and I don't doubt that the La Scalas can manage that without breaking much of a sweat. So your point is well taken. All this talk about subwoofers isn't because I expect the speakers to be lightweights. I'm pretty much just talking about augmentation way down low or for some general room tuning.

Thanks for the oppertunity to clarify!

JP

• Moderators

So John, let's go ahead and get this out of the way early. What do you think of the Bose 901 IV?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Of all the loudspeakers Ive ever heard, the Bose 901 Series IV is categorically and indisputably one of them!!

Very well written.[;)]

John,

"When I need to hear some speakers, I'm coming to your place! Of course, when I get there you can jump out the back door and pretend you're not there!"

LOL, turn about is fair play after all. Ever up my way you are welcome to come by and hear them. Do I have to try and make crab cakes?

"I've got a pair of little Velodyne SPL800 subs. When I reviewed some Maggies Wendell Diller approached Velodyne about having them sent because they blend with Maggies so well. If they're fast enough for Maggies, they should hang with Klipsch. "

When you start working on crossovers to the LaScalas start off around 70hz or so. That seems to be a pretty good place to cross to them. The sharper the crossover the better the blend IME. I can't say for the LASII but the original LaScala's have a pretty big peak around 170hz or so, the new model has a stiffer cabinet so that may or may not be gone. I think that sort of acts as the old BBC trick.

"Are you listening to Klipsch these days?"

Yup, JOOC I picked up a pair of used LaScalas four or five years ago. They did enough right that they got me interested and I have been having fun trying different crossover and horns and drivers with them. Currently my L/C/Rs are bi-amped LaScala bass bins with the smaller horn out of the Klipsch Jubilee (PWKs last bass horn) run two way with a very steep crossover (think Joseph Audio steep). Subs are sealed DIY affairs.

The top end setup on the LaScala bass bin is detailed here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/846295/ShowThread.aspx

Anyhow, have fun with the LaScala's if/when you get them. The new ones are prettier then the old but if you don't have a dedicated room you might want to check out the WAF on them. They are big manly man speakers.

Shawn

If you still have the noise with just the receiver/amp connected it is noise in the receiver itself. Try something like these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=266-244

Between the amp/receiver and see if that quiets down the noise for you.

Shawn

Line-level attenuator? That's an interesting idea. If it works, it would be a nice simple solution. I'll try disconnecting everything else first, but I suspect the noise may be RF from the switching type power supply in the power amp. Today I tried ferrite clamp-type noise filters on one of the speaker cables with no effect at all. The amp comes with clamp filters to use on the power and interconnect cables and they're all in place.

I was relieved to hear that someone was using Canary amps.  They can be a little noisy. But the Art Audio is silent as are the Cyber 211s.

The Canary CA-300 was dead quiet at idle and was one of the quietest I have heard one my Belles. The other fators were George Wright Pre WLA12A, Cambridge 640CDP, andTMC Cables. If the Push Pulls are noisey I won't bother. Which Canary amps have you noticed are noisey? I noticed 6 moons has many Canary reviews.

"Line-level attenuator? That's an interesting idea. If it works, it would be a nice simple solution."

If it is self noise in the receiver the attenuators should help. You will need to rebalance your levels after doing that but that should be no big deal. Basically what you are going to do is crank up the signal another 12dB relative to the noise.

If it is a ground loop buzz the attenuators will not help.

"I'll try disconnecting everything else first, but I suspect the noise may be RF from the switching type power supply in the power amp. "

Probably not, if the noise was internal in the power amp it would still be there when you disconnect the inputs to the amp. Also, they switch way way above the audio frequency. That is actually one of the nice things about switching supplies, their noise is way beyond the audio frequency. A typical linear filter can end up letting more 60hz hum through for example.

"Today I tried ferrite clamp-type noise filters on one of the speaker cables with no effect at all. The amp comes with clamp filters to use on the power and interconnect cables and they're all in place."

Those would have no effect on audible noise. If they did they would be blocking some of the music too.

Good luck,

Shawn

So John, let's go ahead and get this out of the way early. What do you think of the Bose 901 IV?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Of all the loudspeakers Ive ever heard, the Bose 901 Series IV is categorically and indisputably one of them!!

You have to stop this - I am running out of coffee.

Computer now looks like it fell into a cess pit.

Anyway, just to explain a couple of long term members of the forum recently got a chance to hear the 901 and dared to say we were quite impressed with what we heard.

The thread has gone on over 20 pages now and wont die (it will now of course - immediately no doubt). It is apparently illegal, immoral and probably fattening to like both Klipsch and the 901.

John Potis,

Great read, well written I really liked it.

If you are willing to make the drive up 95 north of Baltimore you are more then welcome to bring what ever music you like and check out my khorns in a dedicated room. While the room is a bit on the small side I think you will get a great understanding of why so many of us love our heritage speakers. I have the ability spin both vinyl and CDs with tube and SS amps through the same Khorns (not to mention a 7.1 HT setup). If that is not enough I also have a couple of pairs of Heresies a pair of H2s and my sentimental favorites Forte II. The F2s were purchased new by me back in the early 90s from an actual HiFi store that gave a damn. I think they have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Hi rplace,

How far up 95 are you?

Here's my problem... as a chef I'm working while all of you guys are playing. This time of year my only day off is Monday and I do all my traveling during the day time because there's always something going on with the kids in the evening.

Best,

JP

Sorry again about the coffee. I'll behave myself.

You know what, maxg? There once was a day when I thought that the Bose 901s were grossly overpriced for what you got. Now, I haven't heard them in years but for the amount of bang for the buck they bring to the table, I can't say that they are as poor a value as they once were. At least their price has remained relatively stable while everything around them has gotten more and more expensive. From what I understand their construction has gotten cheaper and cheaper but I have no idea how this has effected the sound.

Last time I heard them they did indeed have a big and exciting presentation with that big wall of sound thing going on. It can be fun and I don't blame people for liking it. Personally, I'm a little too addicted to image focus, stability and specificity to be able to enjoy it long term but hey, what ever floats one's boat. It's been way too long for me to be able to comment on the sonic merits of the speaker.

Best,

JP

The CA 160s had some noise and my CA 330s have some, too.I believe Srajan's commented on a little noise on every Canary he's reviewed. Into my 96 dB Hornings it's not problematic at all and while Srajan's speakers are even more efficient, once the music gets going its never been a problem with him either. As a matter of fact, once the music gets going the noise floor seems amazingly quiet and the level of detail is terrific.

I once read a review about an amp (can't remember which) that was only able to achieve it's optimal signal to noise ratio with an input signal. (shrug)

Best,

JP

Hi rplace,

How far up 95 are you?

Here's my problem... as a chef I'm working while all of you guys are playing. This time of year my only day off is Monday and I do all my traveling during the day time because there's always something going on with the kids in the evening.

Best,

JP

I am 10 miles from exit 80. It takes me about 45 minutes to get from my driveway to parking in down town Baltimore. Mondays, typically would be hard for me...but you never know. Keep me posted on your schedule.