2 Channel solid state amplifier output

Is there a way to tell if you amplifier is putting equal power into left and right speakers? I know recordings are different, when im listening to my setup it doesnt matter what music or were im at in the room . My attention always goes to the right speaker. Can a amplifier get (weak) on one side ? And if so what kinda test can be done to determine this? I have ruled out speaker wires being out of phase , that is all good . Thanks for any suggestions..... Chris

I guess the easiest way is if you have a CD or something that has test tones and an SPL meter and measure exactly 1 meter directly in front of each speaker (use your "balance" control on your pre/pro to go all the way "left" and then all the way "right") and see if you get the same result on both sides.

It could also be a setup issue - make sure both speakers are "toed" in point directly to your listening spot. If one is off even by a fraction, the other one will be "reinforced" as you are getting more of the energy directed at you from the one side. A laser pointer is good for checking the "aiming" of your speakers. But than again, it could very well possibly one of the channels in the amp is going bad, although in most modern equipment this is not likely.

Thanks for the reply, i should be getting a spl meter this week and ill do what you said and go from there. As far as my amp that im using , its a phase linear 400 made in 1977 so thats why i asked if something may be getting week? i thought maybe a tech would have some device he could hook up to the outputs and see? Thanks again

Is this amp integrated? If not it could be your pre-amp.

Do you have a balance control on the amp/pre-amp? Can you fix the problem with that? Is it a small adjustment or a major turn of the dial to fix the image?

I would suggest first off reversing the inputs to the amp - left in right channel and right in left channel - does the problem move?

If the problem does not move return the connections to their original positions and next swtich the speaker cables from left to right and vice versa - again - does the problem move?

If the problem does not move with either of the above changes then your amp does indeed appear to have a problem - or it is the room that is boosting one side over the other. How even is the layout? For example - if one speaker is in a corner and one not you can get a major boost in output from the cornered speaker - as much as 6 dB.

Is this amp integrated? If not it could be your pre-amp.

Do you have a balance control on the amp/pre-amp? Can you fix the problem with that? Is it a small adjustment or a major turn of the dial to fix the image?

I would suggest first off reversing the inputs to the amp - left in right channel and right in left channel - does the problem move?

If the problem does not move return the connections to their original positions and next swtich the speaker cables from left to right and vice versa - again - does the problem move?

If the problem does not move with either of the above changes then your amp does indeed appear to have a problem - or it is the room that is boosting one side over the other. How even is the layout? For example - if one speaker is in a corner and one not you can get a major boost in output from the cornered speaker - as much as 6 dB.

What Max said, except, if you swap the speaker cables and the problem does not move then it is probably something with a speaker or the room.

Well im working on my system as we speak , had to take a break so that i dont lose my mind. Well ive got my spl meter and im still learning this so it may take a bit. As far as the output, ive narrowed things down a bit. I swithched the rca cables never really noticed a difference. But while working on things i found that i have a static sound like a very low distortion issue in my left channel. When you are listening to something and it starts to fade away at the end of the song that is. You can hear a deffinate staic in the left spkr , switch rca cables and it comes from the right spkr . So i switched to my old yamaha to use as a preamp and unhooked everything else . So now im running my Denon Cd player into the Yamaha then to the Phaselinear amp. Staic is still there, like i said earlier its very faint when just listening but if your really listening you can hear it . Question , could the cd player be at fault. It is from the mid 80s. Denon DCD 810

Well its deffinately the Denon, i grabbed the dvd player out of the bedroom and Bammm the static in that 1 side as i call it is gone!!!! There does seem to be quite a bit of back ground noise , hiss that is . Is there a way to reduce or eliminate hiss to any degree?