For CD lovers that want the cool that is vinyl:

maxg

Amazing...............Wonder why they never replaced the cartridge with a laser on a turntable to play records ? Guess maybe it can't be done.....

They did: http://www.elpj.com/main.html

That looks like a cool weekend project for no other reason than nostalgia. I wonder where you can buy that horn?

Do not go there - oh what a tale of woe that one was. Actually it could work quite well at times (and with an engineer on stand-by) - but the original company that made it went belly up, then the one that took it over and as far as I know the third one is in trouble.

Essentially my guess would be it needs about another $million in R&D and they aint got it.

One of the problems with the laser turntable was that it read dirt or scratches as signal, being unable to sort of plow through it like a stylus might, so LPs had to be in top shape and really scrupulously clean.

One of the problems with the laser turntable was that it read dirt or scratches as signal, being unable to sort of plow through it like a stylus might, so LPs had to be in top shape and really scrupulously clean.

Plus, a pretty stiff price tag..................Leaves me out of the picture...............