Hot Rocs

I'm kind of embarrassed about this one but here goes.

OK guys. When not in use, I use bath towels to cover over my amplifier, A/V Controller and subwoofer. I do this to avoid dust accumulating on my equipment. It really does keep my stuff looking brand new. Anyhow, unfortunately, the other night I inadvertently left my amp. on when covering it over. I try hard not to do that but somehow I messed up. Well, the next day I discovered my mistake. When I took the towel off, the amp. was super hot. I mean super hot. Hotter than it has ever gotten while playing it. After wringing my hands and feeling really really bad about it, I let it cool down to dead cold. I had noticed that both the heat sinks and the power transformer were the hottest. Once cooled down, I played it and it seems just fine. It is a McIntosh MC207 amp.

What is the potential damage that might have been caused by my carelessness? Did I dodge a bullet or might I have damaged something that hasn't shown up yet?

Embarrassing isn't it?

You have freaking RUINED it... You need to send it to me right now for a total check out. (your expense of course)

When I'm done (about 10 years later) I'll get it back to you with my official opinion as to the damage you caused!!

As your punishment, you can now go listen to 20 minutes of either Disco OR, Marie Osmond singing Paper Roses!

[:o]

You have freaking RUINED it... You need to send it to me right now for a total check out. (your expense of course)

When I'm done (about 10 years later) I'll get it back to you with my official opinion as to the damage you caused!!

As your punishment, you can now go listen to 20 minutes of either Disco OR, Marie Osmond singing Paper Roses!

[:o]

I will take my punishment like a man.

What is your address so that I can send the unit to the right place? BTW, I don't think the warranty is transferable. Can you use an MC207 in your system? I have a feeling that after 10 years you will ask to keep it another 10 years, just to make sure of the damage. All because of a lousy towel.

OK guys. When not in use, I use bath towels to cover over my amplifier, A/V Controller and subwoofer. I do this to avoid dust accumulating on my equipment. It really does keep my stuff looking brand new. Anyhow, unfortunately, the other night I inadvertently left my amp. on when covering it over. I try hard not to do that but somehow I messed up. Well, the next day I discovered my mistake. When I took the towel off, the amp. was super hot. I mean super hot. Hotter than it has ever gotten while playing it. After wringing my hands and feeling really really bad about it, I let it cool down to dead cold. I had noticed that both the heat sinks and the power transformer were the hottest. Once cooled down, I played it and it seems just fine. It is a McIntosh MC207 amp.

What is the potential damage that might have been caused by my carelessness? Did I dodge a bullet or might I have damaged something that hasn't shown up yet?

Embarrassing isn't it?

You Fool !!!!![;)] However, a bigger fool exists. I have a foam computer bag that fits inside my briefcase. You got it. Left the laptop on stuck it in the bag, zipped up the briefcase and drove home. About 3:00am ...........the smell......toast...........[:^)]

tc

Embarrassing isn't it?

You Fool !!!!![;)] However, a bigger fool exists. I have a foam computer bag that fits inside my briefcase. You got it. Left the laptop on stuck it in the bag, zipped up the briefcase and drove home. About 3:00am ...........the smell......toast...........[:^)]

tc

Ouch!!!

Perhaps you might change your avatar :)

What was that Talking Heads song ...

Gee do you mean "Burning down the house?" Well, that actually might fit.

You know I had that thought when I found the hot amp. Wouldn't that have been horrible? I don't think McIntosh's warranty covers fire damage.

I was thinking more of a slight modification from the Forte II (?) to the MC-207 ;)

Last night, I rectified an error I made about 10 years ago when I sold my Forte IIs. They have returned!

I am so happy for you. What's the story on your Forte IIs?

No one should be selling Forte IIs.

Would you like to sell them?

You probably did not even come close to damaging anything.

I'm so glad to hear that. I am in warranty for three years so I'm probably OK.

Warranty is generally against manufacturing defects. If the amp were damaged by depriving it of free air circuation, would this really qualify?

I don't think your components should be covered unless they'll be sitting unused for a long time, like when you go on vacation, for instance. A simple dusting every couple of weeks is fine, and maybe a very gentle pass with the vacuum with the hose and upholstery nozzle once a year.

Yikes

I would probably be more worried about the little fuzzies on the towels getting rubbed off into the cooling vents...them's much larger pieces than dust and will be more likely to short things out. I had that happen a while back...man that smelled awful.

You probably did not even come close to damaging anything.

I'm so glad to hear that. I am in warranty for three years so I'm probably OK.

Warranty is generally against manufacturing defects. If the amp were damaged by depriving it of free air circuation, would this really qualify?

Shhhhh. Be quiet.