Too many speakers in a small room

I tried it last year. Darned near the same set-up. My room is 17x12. Try as I may, I couldn't get it to sound right. And that was using the long wall. You may have better results. I ended up building speakers for my room.

Harry

5.1 in a 15x12 room? Think small! Heresys may not be tall, but they're not really small at all y'all. And cornwalls? Small? Not at all. Still, they're not too tall, at least when compared to a wall or a mall. I say wait till fall, go to the mall and ask for speakers that are small, not tall, and not fat like a ball! [:D]

I don't think that there is such a thing as "too many speakers in a small room".

I like your idea of having the speakers on the short wall. I don't know what that will do for the Khorns, but overall I believe that it works best. My room is about 22 X 12. I stack my Cornwalls on the La Scalas in each corner of the short wall, then sit 12 feet from the face of the La Scalas. This is my sweet spot.

I'd have to agree, never too many speakers. Right now in my 16 x 14 hole in the basement. I've got the homemade La Belles as L & R, the Kg-5.5s on both sides the the entertainment center for centers. The Homemade heresys as rears.

Movies sound great when watching, better than the theatre. Plus the price of popcorn and soft drinks is reasonable.

innumerable problems can result from too many drivers

I agree, in fact I notice that the sound is not as precise if I operate both pair of Klipsch simultaneously. Since each speaker has its own voice signature, I use one pair at a time, with the preferred pair for each CD.

I'm in the same boat.

I have 3 Cornwalls, pr Belle's, and a pr of K-horns in a room that is 13x24 room that doesn't have viable corners on the long walls. (outside door, big picture windows, hallway and kitchen door)

The K-Horns are in good corners on a short wall and I have a lot of flexibility on how far back I can sit. This is setup as a dedicated 2 channel system.

The Belles are a different story. They are on the long wall, but due to doors and such, they can only be about 6 feet apart and the listening position is only 6.5 feet back. Not a good arrangement but really have no choice until I get the basement done. I also have this setup as a dedicated 2 channel setup.

The 3 Cornwalls are part of the HT set-up which comprises of Cornwall mains, KLF-7 center, a SVS sub, and a Cornwall set up as a rear center. So, I guess you can call it 4.1 HT system.

There is a whole a lot of things going on in this small room: (2 ) Two Channel set-ups and a HT. I'm fully aware that this isn't ideal and nor is it perfect, but it is more than adequate.

JJ

maybe 5 quartets? not that you see that many of those around.

I've got 4 fortes, an academy, and a big SVS sub in a 14' x 15' room. it helps to have all the gear in an adjacent medial closet. it made the room even bigger to dump the 36" CRT TV and hang a 52" LCD on the wall.

seeing as there isn't much going on in the corners, I think you could put bigger speakers in each, and not feel too cramped.

but it will be very cozy for more than 2-3 viewers/watchers.

The Belles are a different story. They are on the long wall, but due to doors and such, they can only be about 6 feet apart and the listening position is only 6.5 feet back. Not a good arrangement but really have no choice until I get the basement done. I also have this setup as a dedicated 2 channel setup.

JJ

6.5 feet is practically nearfield listening, but it sounds like the ratio between the distance between the speakers and the distance to the listener is not far off. How does that set-up sound in terms of soundstage and imaging?