Recommendatios on "HIGH QUALITY" Jazz Guitar CD's

zuzu

Wes Montgomery-Boss Guitar

Jim Hall Quartet-All Across The City

Guitarist Composer Sampler (Kicking Mule, 1997)

Beck and Ryerson-Alto

And some good blues...

BluesQuest-(Audioquest,1999)

Chess Blues Guitar/ Two Decades Of Killer Fretwork 1949 to 1969

SSH

On a more modern vein, with one or two vocal numbers, Norman Brown - After the Storm and Chillin', and Peter White - Glowing are definitely worth a listen for their nice guitar mixture of jazz and some r&b classics.

Norman Brown is more like George Benson. I ended up with the Peter White album by accident, but after one listen, it was a keeper.

On the more classic side, Joe Pass and Grant Green both do an incredible job either in a small group or as soloists.

dont know if tese are considered jazz but i have found 2 cd's lately via a friend that are pretty awsome,

adrian legg, guitars for mortals

the robert fripp string quintet, the bridge between

these are not all acoustic but they really are awsome cd's

Joe

Ditto, Jim Hall....album Concierto....not exactly acoustic but how could you pass this up? With Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd, and Roland Hanna all together! From April 1975.

Strickly acoustic....don't forget the Brazilians: Joan Gilberto and Baden Powell. The very fine traditional early bossa nova on acoustic guitar/nylon strings...many albums to choose from.

A couple I listened to tonight you might like to try:

1) Manuel Barreuco NYLON & STEEL Guitar Duets with: Al Di Meola, Steve Morse, and Andy Summers (Angel Records)

2) Shakti with John McLaughlin (Columbia Jazz -- remastered version)

StrictIy classical - I went to see Manuel Barrueco with the Chattanooga Symphony a few years ago. What a beautiful concert. It was an all classical concert, and he sincerely looked like he was having tons of fun. I have also seen Christopher Parkening, and the sound was great, even though he looked like he was fighting his guitar through every song. I would take Barrueco over him any day.

Bruce

Not jazz either, but a favorite of mine -- also an 'Editor's pick' for best recording of the year (Guitar Player). This performer (Kurt Rodarmer) had guitars specifically designed and built for this guitar transcription of Bach's 'Goldberg Variations.' The recording is great, and the guitar playing, fantastic. If you haven't heard this, I strongly recommend it. (Sony Classical).

Erik

Ditto, Jim Hall....album Concierto....not exactly acoustic but how could you pass this up? With Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd, and Roland Hanna all together! From April 1975.

Strickly acoustic....don't forget the Brazilians: Joan Gilberto and Baden Powell. The very fine traditional early bossa nova on acoustic guitar/nylon strings...many albums to choose from.

Jim Hall's Concierto is perhaps my all time favorite - some of the swingingest playing on one side and beautiful, laid-back on the other. Paul Desmond's solo on Concierto is truly incredible!