Check out Gary's new toy!!!!

Finally got Gary's "new" turntable dialed in. This one will go in his "upstairs" system with the Scott 299 and the legendary Zerbrawood Conrwalls. The deck came from Scott and it's PERFECT.

The SME 3009 Series II came from ebay--it needed a couple of little things--new rubber and a conversion to RCA plugs which I did. I threw in a nice SME phono cable that I no longer need.

The plinth came from Scott with the deck and I cut it down to fit Gary's rack and reveneered it with English Ash and stained it to match Gary's decor.

I made the armboard for the SME.

The Orotofon SPU-GM mono came from Juki.

AWESOME!!! Hank Mobley Mosiac spinning (the "Poppin'" session).

TD-124copy.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[:D]

I don't know where or how to begin with the thanks you's. Allan has been working his butt off to fix this baby up for me and Scott made that a much easier chore with an outstanding rebuild to begin with. It's a mono only (SPU) setup for my upstairs system and I can't wait to get it up and running (probably next weekend).

Allan says it sounds great so I have no doubt it's going to be a KILLER rig!!

Obviously I'll post more details when I get it set up. That was the first picture I've seen of the table all put together. BEAUTIFUL job!!!!

It was fun!

The SPU GM-mono sounds FANTASTIC! I've been spinning both mono and stereo records and it plays both beautifully!

Got it tracking at 3.85 grams--the range is 3.0-5.0.

The table is rumble free--the arm is tight. And everything LOOKS good too!

Awesome looking new table Gary! Great work as always Allan. The three jazz cool cats had a plan and it came together.

That's two jazz cool cats and a dog that thinks it's random horn blowing.

Alan, that looks really sweet. I'm jealous now. I had fun rebuilding that thing a couple years ago. It was just sitting here looking for a good home. It definitely found one with you setting it up, giving it an arm and then on to Gary who I'm pretty sure is going to really dig it maaannn.

Beautiful work Allan, I'm sure that Gary will have many weeks of pleasurable listening to this gem. I really like the simple base that finishes off a classic turntable. The finishing looks great. Presenthttp://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk673YYCA''>http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk673YYCA' target=_blank mce_href="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk673YYCA">

The only thing I've been missing in my systems has been a good way to play all of my old mono LPs. I LOVE my Basis but the old LPs have always sounded just a bit thin on what Allan calls my "plastic" turntable. I think it also has something to do with the Khorns. Having a mono only table like the 124 upstairs with my Cornwalls should fill that last void. I think the old Blue Notes in particular are recorded on the thin side. Horns sound great but bass is definitely lacking. Cornwalls have that bass punch that the Khorns don't and it helps bring those Blue Notes to life.

This is the first change I've made in any of my systems in quite some time and I expect it to be the last for a very long time. I'm really looking forward to October so I can get some of your opinions and/or suggestions.

Thanks again to Allan and Scott for helping to make this happen. Both these guys are true class acts!!

Guy, someone in another thread has asked me how much a "Spectral MCR-Signature II" cartridge is worth. I would like to sell it to him, but don't know if it has a Blue Book value since it apparently hasn't been around for several years. Do you have an estimate, please? Thanks!!

Larry

The only thing I've been missing in my systems has been a good way to play all of my old mono LPs. I LOVE my Basis but the old LPs have always sounded just a bit thin on what Allan calls my "plastic" turntable. I think it also has something to do with the Khorns. Having a mono only table like the 124 upstairs with my Cornwalls should fill that last void. I think the old Blue Notes in particular are recorded on the thin side. Horns sound great but bass is definitely lacking. Cornwalls have that bass punch that the Khorns don't and it helps bring those Blue Notes to life.

This is the first change I've made in any of my systems in quite some time and I expect it to be the last for a very long time. I'm really looking forward to October so I can get some of your opinions and/or suggestions.

Thanks again to Allan and Scott for helping to make this happen. Both these guys are true class acts!!

You will be AMAZED how quiet your old monos will sound with this rig. This set up is VERY forgiving when playing old, less than perfect records. You will be able to really enjoy VG and even VG- discs that are unlistenable on your "plastic" turntable!!!

Dedicated mono setip - [8-|].

Jealous as hell. Way to go - connect them to Cornwalls? Shouldn't that be.....Cornwall.

If ya gonna go mono - go mono! Dont need no stinking stereo setup - one monoblock (with volume control) one speaker and this table.

Hell of a conversation piece aside from the sonics - just invite round the 11.2 home theater crowd and enjoy the looks when they hear it.

Allan - majorly impressive work there - looks almost as good as the plastic tables.....[:P]