Check out Gary's new toy!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou Donaldson, Blues Walk - Mono Toshiba Pressing (been saving it for this table)

I've played a few. This table is amazing! Everything that's been said about the 124s/SMEs/SPUs are true. Although it's a Mono cart, stereo LPs sound great too. Not just great but GREAT!

I have enough room to play LPs but barely. I need to move some gear around. This table deserves to be seen, not wedged between two shelves.

I'd like to stay up all night and play music but I'm golfing in the morning. Thanks for walking me through the setup Allan (and everything else!).

More to come...........

This is a great thread for me as i'm going through my TD-124 right now, also building a new "heavy plinth". Thanx for the good info Scott. I would also love to see pics of the RCA plugs Allan mounted on the tone arm. I plan to do the same with my SME 3009. I have the RCA's, just need to come up with a good way to mount them under there. My plinth is getting trimmed out with dovetailed Mahagony to match my Blueberry. I can't wait to get it rolling, this thread has really got me fired up. I'm going to have to get a new stereo cart also, my 4 year old nephew trashed my old Shure cart and stylus. Congrats on the new toy Gary!

Jeremy

Great job Allan.

One of my clients has a 124 that he bought new back in the day. Played it for six months, packed it for his move into a new house and its still in the original box all these years later.

He asked me to make an offer, I blurted out $1000. He thought I was kidding! Still waiting for a response:(

Pete

We all should build our systems around what we like to listen to. Gary will hear in the TD-124 a totally different presentation than in his Basis. If all one listened to were perfect condition modern audiophile pressings, then a table like the Basis would be the obvious choice. But when one's collection consists of primarily vintage, original pressings that vary in condition from G+ through NM, then the TD-124 is a MUCH better choice--the TD-124/SME/SPU combonation provides not only a very musical presentation with lots of punch and incredible liveliness, but is also is THE most forgiving rig I have even owned when it comes to surface noise and clicks and pops--records that are flat-out unlistenable on my Linn (or Gary's Basis) become thoroughly enjoyable. And for someone like me who is a record collector FIRST and a hi-fi nut SECOND this a VERY big deal! Sure. it's not then end-all in detail and extension, but it makes MUSIC sound RIGHT--throughout the entire range of instruments the timbre and tone are lifelike and I'll sacrifice some detail and extension for this ANY time!

Gary, you now have two great systems--congrats!

I agree 100%. I had to make a decision. Buy a 124 or sell all of my vintage pressings. I just couldn't listen to them on my Basis.

Yesterday I put on one of my favorite and probably most valuable Blue Notes, Benny Green's, Soul Stirrin'. Even though the LP is dead quiet, it was thin and lifeless sounding on every other table I've owned. Now it's a full, rich musical sounding album. Really an incredible difference. The horns seem to dig so deep, it sounds like the stylus is going to jump off the record!

If I had to make a choice, I'd keep my Basis. No question. Nice to have a choice though!