hi, want to introduce myself

Hi,

I just joined this Klipsch forum today. I may be new in here, but i'm in no way new to speakers and stereo audio, or home theater by anymeans.

I live in the Pacific Northwest... and i have two 2 ch systems and a home theater system. At this time I do not own any Klipsch speakers. Last week I sold my Polk Audio SDA SRS's to a local guy. that has left me without a good decent sounding pair of speakers for my main 2 ch rig. So that's why i'm here.

I would like some suggestions on a pair of Klipsch speakers for a 2 channel only rig. I am open to used, vintage, or new speakers. My budget is set for $800 tops. The Polks that I just sold were huge.. over 5 ft tall and weighing in at 185 pounds each. This time around, i'd like something smaller, but that would still give me some good wide soundstage. With good balanced bass.. I am not a basshead, so I don't like boomy bass or like lots of it either actually.

My friend has the Chorus 2's and I do like them alot. that is about the size of the speaker's i'd be interested in.. nothing larger than that. While I could buy a pair of the Chorus 2's, I am really open to suggestions. I listen to alot of classic rock, 80's, everything from Sinatra, to INXS, Nirvana, Maroon5, Modest Mouse, Linkin Park, Johnny Mathis, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions on a pair of floorstanding Klipsch speakers...as I am just beginning to look for a pair that I plan to keep for a long time.

Also, what is the availabilty of parts for Klipsch speakers that are over 20 yrs old? Crossover's, drivers, grills? What type of surround material does Klipsch use?

hi and welcome,

used cornwalls are what you should be looking for in my opinion. about seven fifty to nine hundred dollars generally.

check this forum, craigslist and ebay for local deals within your desired driving range. shipping is not recommended if you can do pickup.

Bob Crites on this forum, BEC is his call name, deals in crossover refresh and replacement drivers, among other things. He'd be good to talk to about your 20 year old questions.

If you can't take the size of the cornwall, then you're pretty much at chorus II or forte II territory. I rate my forte II's at 90 % of my cornwalls. Not bad, but not there either. I haven't heard chorus II.

Keep us informed of your search.

Kimball

Welcome,

Chorus II's , pro audio and Linkin Park were made for each other. But that combo is not for the weak of heart. It is only for those who trully want to rock out.

By the way I can pick up and carry a Forte II around the same cannot be said about the Chorus II.

Welcome to the forum.

Chorus II would be a good choice. If you have a chance to hear Cornwalls, they are excellent. Also, Forte or ForteII are similar to Chorus but w/ 12 inch woofer and perform very well. Some prefer them to chorus.

No need to worry about parts, as mentioned above, Bob Crites makes crossover refreshing easy. Also has diaphragms for drivers and woofer replacements.

It would be possible to get into LaScala with a slightly larger footprint, if you like that sound.

It sounds like the Chorus II might be right up your ally. That or the Forte II. The cornwall has a bigger sound, but you're gonna add some honky tonk to the mids in exchange for more bass - which seems to be the opposite direction you wanna go. The II series of the Chorus and Forte are both using tractrix horns for the mids which in my opinion is what you wanna be looking for. The Chorus has one of the most religiously flat bass responses I've ever seen, which sometimes can be annoying when listening to poorly recorded music. The Forte is voiced a touch hotter in this regard (but much less exageration than the cornwall), which will make it more felxible if you're just interested in enjoying music. The Forte definitely digs lower too - despite it being a smaller speaker. The Chorus is just much cleaner sounding.

If you want to go even smaller, you might consider a pair of Quartets. They're supposed to sound great too, though I've never heard them for myself.

Welcome to the forum.

Ditto here I want to introduce myself as well.

I am a two channel man, curently don not own Klipsch but looking for a good cottage system which would be used for playing classical primarily. My main system is Van Alstine electronics and Gallo speakers with a cambridge CD deck. I am swapping the preamp out to a Vincent hybrid ss/tube preamp and I will report its attributes to the group when i break it in.

Things I believe after being in this hobby for a number of years.

I believe strongly the quality of the recording has the most impact on an individuals connection to the music, with quality of source ( TT, CD player) secondly important.

I believe that speaker cables and wires are important but good transparent cables with no shortcomings are now available for around 100.00, so cables can be and should be a manageable expense rather than the rent.

I don't know what audiophile sound is. I have been extremely pleased in the past with systems that purists would describe as mid-fi. The music is more important than the gear. Good music can get the heart racing. Cheers

The Chorus has one of the most religiously flat bass responses I've ever seen, which sometimes can be annoying when listening to poorly recorded music.

To be honest Doc I use to always have that problem with the Chorus II's. The bass always seemed lean. With the QSC and the Marantz as a pre the Chorus II's have actually become extremely punchy and bass heavy so to speak. At 9.00 on the volume these speakers are hitting me hard at the listening position. The Chorus II's are finally alive. They might be the hardest speaker to get right in regards to positioning and powering. They are an awesome rock speaker but just takes the right ingredients. Now I bet with tubes and other styles of music they would be a breeze to set up.

PS: Thats a pain free hitting hard by the way. Meaning the mids and highs are awesome!

Welcome to you both. Weirdo I agree with your comments about quality of recordings being very important and cables less so. Danger Boy.....good luck on your speaker search.....you have gotten some good advice here.

Don't be strangers guys.

Tarheel

I dont know about all these Heresy recommendations. He wants a speaker about the size of a Chorus and he wants to "rock out". At the very least please suggest that he will need a subwoofer with the Hersey if he is trully wanting to rock out. With the recommendations of Hersey I would take it a step further and recommend 2 pair of Herseys stacked and 2 very capable subwoofers. Now you will be rockin out!

Maybe rockin out means different things to different folks. I always assumed it was when the music is just below ear bleed and knockin the wind clean out of ya!

Cornwalls are the greatest jazz speaker on the planet.

Welcome to Klipsch World.

I've passed on my SDAs also. I like Polk and have had about every speaker they make. Next favorite would be the Monitor 10 and 7A. I'm gonna presume you're running tubes with the SDA. I'm now running a Cornwall Mod that I built. Part Cornwall and part Chorus cabinet size. You'll love the Cornwall sound after you get it set up. Easy placement and about as versatile for different types of music as there is going to be out of a single pair of speakers. The horns will take a bit of getting used to after the Peerless or silk domes. You will find nicer all around sound and music you never knew was available on your recordings. They're that big a jump over the SDAs. The sound is much larger also. The foot pring is a bit larger but I doubt you'll notice it. They may even seem smaller because of the height difference. The Chorus and Chorus 2s are nice speakers but can be a bit better for rocking out.

You can usually pick up a nice pair of Cornwalls (CW) for $400 and up depending on condition. Parts are plentiful and cheap for them. Freshness of crossovers is as important as anything on the old Heritage line. BEC/Bob Crites has about anything you can imagine parts wise with "WISE" being the key word. There are others here with all you need but Bob has been great to me and I'm a faithful type.

This is a super forum. The guys (and gals) are great and very helpful. They/we go out of our way to help in anyway we can. It's a fantastic family here. We argue like family sometimes too. I'm sure you'll feel right at home with Klipsch.

We've got a "Pilgrimage" here in Indy this month. A bunch of the members are meeting here to enjoy the world of Klipsch. Details on the home page.

Again Welcome. Glad to have ya here.

Harry

I believe that speaker cables and wires are important but good transparent cables with no shortcomings are now available for around 100.00, so cables can be and should be a manageable expense rather than the rent.

Uh-Oh ...

that "Cable " thig, agin ...

Hey, ya don't have ta spend a Hundred ....

Home Cheapo ... $30 extension cord works ... fine ...[:)].

thanks for the warm welcome everyone. You all have given me several good options for a nice pair of stereo speakers.

My Polk SDA's. were being run using solid state gear... they were bass shy too. I did not run them with a subwoofer. They were capable of digging extremely low, and would shake the floor, but it was rare that the source music ever had that much bass in it.. so most times, they were lacking bass. I was not in anyway displeased with them.. it's just time to try something else.

I'd really like to find someone here in the Pacific Northwest that had a pair or more of the older Klipsch speakers. that would allow me to demo them in a real world set up.

I believe cables do play a part in sound quality. but within reason. I set my limit on cables to around $100 each.. or course, not all my cables are at that $100 limit.. I have used a couple different brands for half that price and have been very pleased with their sound, although in that price range, build quality was kind of lacking.

Any current model Klipsch floorstander that has a following? Here still within that $800 price range, if that's possible.

There's a lot of Klipsch Heritage in Oregon and Washington. I think there were some very strong dealers up there in the 70's and 80's. Keep and eye out, we'll find something for you.

I echo the guy's thoughts on forte II's, Chorii, or Cornies. They all ROCK!

And save your money, follow the Dukester, buy WIRE, the electrons don't care.

Michael