Absorbtion by Leather Over Stuffed Furniture

zuzu

mas can you tell us another joke?

I promise to laugh, even if it's not funny.

Roc, most were lost and got their panties in a serious wad when I simply alluded to the existence of drummer jokes. And look at the uproar that caused! (Of course, I don't know if they were wearing leather or not...hmmm...)

If I tell a joke its for my amusement. And why would you bother to laugh or try to explain it if you don't get it?

Besides, there are quite enough posts on this forum at which to laugh...whether they are intended to be humorous or not... [*-)]

I laugh because I am kissing up to you.

It is all part of my master plan to gain admittance and acceptance to the inner santum of the Klipsch Forum club and its elite members.

So Ha Ha Ha Ha.

mas can you tell us another joke?

I promise to laugh, even if it's not funny.

Roc, most were lost and got their panties in a serious wad when I simply alluded to the existence of drummer jokes. And look at the uproar that caused! (Of course, I don't know if they were wearing leather or not...hmmm...)

If I tell a joke its for my amusement. And why would you bother to laugh or try to explain it if you don't get it?

Besides, there are quite enough posts on this forum at which to laugh...whether they are intended to be humorous or not... [*-)]

I laugh because I am kissing up to you.

It is all part of my master plan to gain admittance and acceptance to the inner santum of the Klipsch Forum club and its elite members.

So Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Mwwaahhh!

But you're wasting your time if you are trying to kiss up to me!

I ain't no participant in the BS Forum!

Well, except in the looser interpretation of the phrase...

Does leather underwear count for anything in treating a listening room?

Only if you've been a very bad boy...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....that was funny mas.

...Good, you must have found someone to explain it...

Now that's not funny.

Thanks, you made me laugh... ;-)

Now that's not funny.

In this case, "the crux of the biscuit, is NOT the apostrophe", it is that Gandi listened to Bose.

Man this place is getting strange......................

I get a little distressed when mas and the rest get into a debate.

The orginal question is a good one. I'd say that the overstuffed chair is getting big enough in volume to act as a real absorber at freqs over 3 kHz.

On the other hand, its frontal area is big enough to act as a reflector. How good a reflector it is depends on the stiffness of the covering. Leather would be better than soft fabric.

So we can imagine two big Lazy-boys, one with a stiff covering of stretched leather, and the other with soft cloth.

We'd hear some reflection above 3 kHz off the leather (and being curved, it does diffuse), and none off the soft cloth. A natural conclusion would be that leather does not absorb.

Acutally, neither absorb at low freqs. The absoptive potential of the leather covered one at high freqs is obscued by the reflections off the front surface.

Please note that some absortive corner tube traps do use a hard, curved, covering to diffuse high freqs.

Now. Mark was saying all this.

Overall, some of these bigger acoustic room treatments seem to follow stealth technology. In order to prevent a direct reflection we can absorb some freqs. We can defect others. Quantifying things is more difficult.

Gil

Now that's not funny.

In this case, "the crux of the biscuit, is NOT the apostrophe", it is that Gandi listened to Bose.

Man this place is getting strange......................

Don't eat the Excentrifugal Forz but it's OK to eat St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast.

Lets pose this question another way.  We recognize that metal horns resonate and this can be dampened.  The ringing is typically handled from the exterior of the horns using absortive materials.  What if the interior of a metal horn were lined with a form of leather?  Would suede be more or less effective?  There are many grades of leather.  Would a soft leather be significanlty better than one that is stiffer?