I said that I wouldn't but I did anyway

Roc Rinaldi

You got me jealous [:'(] I wihs I had the room for two subs of any kind in our living room. I barely have room for my RW10

Space can be a real issue. Really good compact subs can be hard to come by.

Size is volume. I hate science. I can never get around it.

There is a three sided triangle theory on this which Dr.Who can give you an article to read about it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got me jealous [:'(] I wihs I had the room for two subs of any kind in our living room. I barely have room for my RW10

There is a three sided triangle theory on this which Dr.Who can give you an article to read about it.

????? where?

????? where?

Right here:

Basically, for a given motor strength the loudspeaker engineer has 3 main degrees of freedom:

-Size of the Cabinet

-Low frequency extension

-Efficiency of the system

Hoffman's Iron Law is a series of equations that describe the relationships between each of the above design criteria. Ignoring the math (unless you wanna get into it), "improving" any one of the design criteria to satisfy the desires of the market requires that you make sacrifices in other areas. For example, if you make the cabinet smaller and want to keep the efficiency the same, then the low frequency extension of the system moves higher. Or basically, you cannot make the system play lower without either increasing the size of the cabinet or reducing the efficiency. But if you don't mind a large cabinet, you can have the same efficiency AND the low frequency extension. This is why infinite baffle subs work so well.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that most all distortion is a result of the movement of the driver. If you can reduce the amount of movement for the same SPL, then the system is going to have less distortion. Since SPL is tied to the amount of air displaced, the only way to reduce the cone excursion is to increase the total driver surface area. This is another reason why infinite baffles work so well.

When you've got a small 12" driver in a small little cabinet, you've got all the variables working against you. Obviously, JL Audio has done some slick stuff with their motor to achieve their performance, so don't let me imply that you're hearing absolute crap. But it's still an iron-fisted approach, and for the amount of money and engineering put into that motor, I can't help but wonder what kind of performance they could be achieved in a cabinet twice or even four times the size. Heck, move to a 15" driver and now you need half the cone excursion for the same displacement! Double the size of the cabinet with a single 15" driver and you'd readily obtain 6dB more output all around. That can also read that you'll have 6dB less distortion at the same output levels. Of course, you could always purchase two units and achieve the same, but it's gonna cost way less when you've got a single driver in a single cabinet than multiple drivers in multiple cabinets.

I know I'm looking at the problem like an engineer and I'm well aware that there is no JL Audio motor mounted to a larger driver in a larger cabinet, and that you probably feel like you purchased the best product that matches your criteria...and that may very well be the case (I can't think of anything off the top of my head that isn't DIY). That said, I think it helps to be aware of the huge hurdles the design is trying to leap over when wondering why the system doesn't meet expectations. In my eyes, you might as well purchase a wave runner designed to travel up waterfalls when it would be way easier to take an elevator built into the side of the mountain...

untitled.GIF

I got this from DrWho at this link: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/5/914569/ShowThread.aspx if it is still active.

This is what I meant by the triangle theory.

I brought my second f-113 home Monday. I have not even unboxed it yet. (so, so , busy)

I am excited about it. My wife is not. I think her word would be "concerned".

of your health?

No, concerned about her hearing and her internal organs.

Did you know that with enough volume at the lowest frequencies you can make one physically sick and cause their organs to shutdown?

True. But please don't try this at home. This should only be done by experienced professional audiophiles, in the privacy of their own homes.

.....and if you do try it, make sure that you have 911 service in your area.

Let us know how the set up goes.

Not that we feel particularly sorry for you....[;)]

Lucky Roc Bottom (new nickname, considering you really like the bottom of the sound spectrum![Y]

Paul

Hey Paul, I like it. Roc Bottom. I've been called many things, many nicknames, but Roc Bottom is a first. Thanks.

I know that I have been kinda active in my recent sound system purchases, almost, dare I say it, reckless. But, you see, I seem to be getting older as time passes. My purchases represent perhaps my last chance to "go after my dreams". I might as well spend what I got. After all, what am I saving my money for? An Executor?