Using Two Heresy's as Center Speaker

thewolf

I am thinking about using a Heresy as my center speaker hooked up to a AVR. Is it possible to bridge two Heresy's to the same center speaker input? Ideally, would like to lay the speakers horizontally with the woofers on the far ends and create a single center speaker. Is this crazy or do-able.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes.. on their sides tweeter to tweeter you may want to do this split the speaker cable into a Y or go positive to positive negative to negative to the speakers themselves.

I could ask why you want to do this.. ask what other speakers your using too? So more info please!

Indy...You asked why do I want to do this and what other speakers am I running.

I am working on building my 5.1 HT sound system. Currently have '86 Cornwall II running as mains. I wanted an Academy for the center, but that is proving to be very difficult to find. Eventually, I will have Heresy surrounds. Trying to finsih the front end first. I figured two Heresy's would give me a more robust souding center with subwoofers on either end. Not sure if a single Heresey laying on its side on top of the TV would sound full enough. Although I could be wrong.

The Wolf, I have taken the liberty to check your recent posts and I see that your wanting to pair an academy with Cornwall's. I believe that you are going to be less than satisfied with the academy with Cornwalls. Though I have never heard Cornwalls, I actually went on an excursion to buy Cornwalls back in 1989. The local Klipsch Boutique sadly informed me that they no longer made the Mighty Cornwalls, but they had a pair of the New Chorus's that replaced the Cornwall for a time. I was so impressed, I bought them and have been proudly using them since.

In 1993, I decided to trade in my two channel ADCOM stuff for the latest ADCOM Pro-Logic unit, of which I still use in the fitness room, with A Pair of Forte's and a DIY Sub. At the time of the ADCOM purchase, I added a pair of Heresy II's and the elusive Academy.

With the primitive Pro Logic equipment, I was really unimpressed with the realism, I always thought it was the ADCOM. I have since upgraded to Sunfire Theater Grand. I have since learned that the ACADEMY suits the Forte type speaker better.

You are definately on the right track with the Heresy as a center. it just matches better than the Academy. I believe some will say that implementing two center's will cause some cancellation problems, (ask Dr. Who).

Instead of looking for the Academy, or Heresy, I have been working on changing the motherboard of a Chorus or Chorus II to accomodate laying it on its side to be used as a Center.

Unfortunately, the 15" woofer won't fit by moving the squawker to themiddle and rotating it 90 degrees. I am now leaning toward placing two 12" woofers on either side of the Chorus in parallel to voice with the Heratige series.

Why completely re-invent the wheel.

Good luck in your "Walk about" in Home Theater. Please keep us posted on your Journey.

What issues has this developed? Since the speaker will be laying on its side, I was concerned that it may not sound as full as a center speaker (flanking subwoofers). I need to find a Heresy to try.

Since the center channel carries mostly dialogue, the Heresy's 12-inch woofer will likely be plenty full-sounding. After all, most dedicated center speakers have 5- to 7-inch woofers. A Heresy would be a better match for Cornwalls than an Academy.

According to the purists, the whole idea of having the drivers arranged horizontally may look nice on top of the TV, but it won't give the best sound, due to various issues with the drivers interacting differently depending on where you're sitting. Ideally, the center speaker shouild be standing up like all the others, although it would look unusual. Second-best, but still a little odd-looking, would be a Heresy on its side with its midrange horn centered above or below the TV screen. Hmm, moving it a few inches to center the cabinet over the screen center wouldn't affect the sound noticeably and would look more sensible, especially to anyone else in the room.

You need to find a Heresy to try...

Also, do you need the center speaker to be magnetically shielded?

NO, don't lie them on their sides, the horn dispersion will be all wrong.

I have heard this arguement several times. Now I am not trying to sound mean or anything but can this be proven? I have never seen anyone offer proof of this. I thought sound was subjective. Wouldn't the sound field have a more narrow vertical spread?

Please educate me.

What if he watches TV on the couch laying down? Wouldn't that make the dispersion for the speakers on their sides "right side up" and his normal speakers standing upright be all wrong?

[6]

I always appreciate kind words from D-D.

Yes. I use two Heresys side by side, parallel wired, fed at 4O by a Williamson amplifier with 6BG6s in the final, additive L-R input using the Klipsch designed magic box. Klipschorns flanking.

It gives a seamless soundstage that makes the wall disappear. Every night I am amazed all over again.

DRBILL

I am working on building my 5.1 HT sound

system. Currently have '86 Cornwall II running as mains. I

wanted an Academy for the center, but that is proving to be very

difficult to find. Eventually, I will have Heresy surrounds. Trying to

finsih the front end first. I figured two Heresy's would give me a more

robust souding center with subwoofers on either end. Not sure if a

single Heresey laying on its side on top of the TV would sound full

enough. Although I could be wrong.

I use

a single Heresy between La Scalas. It is on it;s side. That

causes it to be more directional,but I have not found it to be a

problem. It is more than capable. You can use 2, tweeter to

tweeter, but you will get better results from one. To get the

timbre matched, you will have to reconfigure the crossover to match

your Cornwalls. For instance, the Type E runs the woofer

(Heresies and Cornwalls do NOT have subwoofers) at 94 dB, the squawker

at 96 dB and the tweeter at 99 dB.

The

attached schematic shows how to reconfigure a Type E to be flat.

I am not familar enough with the Cornwall to say if the sound will

match. You will want to change the tweeter cap back to a 2uF cap, it gives flatter response.

post-2142-13819334565368_thumb.jpg

I have heard this arguement several times. Now I am not trying to sound mean or anything but can this be proven? I have never seen anyone offer proof of this. I thought sound was subjective. Wouldn't the sound field have a more narrow vertical spread?

Please educate me.

Your logic makes sense but here is the issue with laying a horn loaded speaker on it's side. Look at your horns. They have a specific shape. They are not square but rather oblong. Their shape has an effect on the sound and the sound dispersion. If you put the speaker on it's side you have altered the horizontal and verticle shapes of the horn and therefore the sound and sound dispersion.

It seems like it would be best to not place horn loaded speakers on their sides.

What if he watches TV on the couch laying down? Wouldn't that make the dispersion for the speakers on their sides "right side up" and his normal speakers standing upright be all wrong?

[6]

Yes it would.

I always appreciate kind words from D-D.

Yes. I use two Heresys side by side, parallel wired, fed at 4O by a Williamson amplifier with 6BG6s in the final, additive L-R input using the Klipsch designed magic box. Klipschorns flanking.

It gives a seamless soundstage that makes the wall disappear. Every night I am amazed all over again.

DRBILL

Does it sound better or worse using only one center speaker?

I am working on building my 5.1 HT sound system. Currently have '86 Cornwall II running as mains. I wanted an Academy for the center, but that is proving to be very difficult to find. Eventually, I will have Heresy surrounds. Trying to finsih the front end first. I figured two Heresy's would give me a more robust souding center with subwoofers on either end. Not sure if a single Heresey laying on its side on top of the TV would sound full enough. Although I could be wrong.

I use a single Heresy between La Scalas. It is on it;s side. That causes it to be more directional,but I have not found it to be a problem. It is more than capable. You can use 2, tweeter to tweeter, but you will get better results from one. To get the timbre matched, you will have to reconfigure the crossover to match your Cornwalls. For instance, the Type E runs the woofer (Heresies and Cornwalls do NOT have subwoofers) at 94 dB, the squawker at 96 dB and the tweeter at 99 dB.

The attached schematic shows how to reconfigure a Type E to be flat. I am not familar enough with the Cornwall to say if the sound will match. You will want to change the tweeter cap back to a 2uF cap, it gives flatter response.

??????