Using Two Heresy's as Center Speaker

thewolf

Ideally, the center speaker shouild be standing up like all the others, although it would look unusual.

You mean like this?

Actually, your setup looks perfectly sensible. I was referring to a Heresy speaker standing (not lying) on top of a TV. That would look unusual. Having the center speaker standing under the TV is totally logical, but most people have a TV stand under the TV.

Is that three Fortes in front? Nice speakers and electronics. The Macs look good, too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, don't lie them on their sides, the horn dispersion will be all wrong.

I have heard this arguement several times. Now I am not trying to sound mean or anything but can this be proven? I have never seen anyone offer proof of this. I thought sound was subjective. Wouldn't the sound field have a more narrow vertical spread?

Please educate me.

Your logic makes sense but here is the issue with laying a horn loaded speaker on it's side. Look at your horns. They have a specific shape. They are not square but rather oblong. Their shape has an effect on the sound and the sound dispersion. If you put the speaker on it's side you have altered the horizontal and verticle shapes of the horn and therefore the sound and sound dispersion.

It seems like it would be best to not place horn loaded speakers on their sides.

Oh shoot I was going to post something but I figured it out. Man I hate feeling like an idiot. My problem is I plan to upgrade from HTiB to RB 61's and the only center channel I can fit into the opening is the RC 10 or a sideways RB 61. The wife nixed the idea of a shelf above the tv.

Ideally, the center speaker shouild be standing up like all the others, although it would look unusual.

You mean like this?

Actually, your setup looks perfectly sensible. I was referring to a Heresy speaker standing (not lying) on top of a TV. That would look unusual. Having the center speaker standing under the TV is totally logical, but most people have a TV stand under the TV.

Is that three Fortes in front? Nice speakers and electronics. The Macs look good, too.

Thanks you for your nice comment.

Since that picture was taken I am now up to Five Forte IIs, two KG-4s, and two subs. The Macs are very happy pumping power to these full range speakers. My goal is to get two more Forte IIs and sell the KG-4s. No more subs though. Two is enough...................................................................................................for now.

NO, don't lie them on their sides, the horn dispersion will be all wrong.

I have heard this arguement several times. Now I am not trying to sound mean or anything but can this be proven? I have never seen anyone offer proof of this. I thought sound was subjective. Wouldn't the sound field have a more narrow vertical spread?

Please educate me.

Your logic makes sense but here is the issue with laying a horn loaded speaker on it's side. Look at your horns. They have a specific shape. They are not square but rather oblong. Their shape has an effect on the sound and the sound dispersion. If you put the speaker on it's side you have altered the horizontal and verticle shapes of the horn and therefore the sound and sound dispersion.

It seems like it would be best to not place horn loaded speakers on their sides.

Oh shoot I was going to post something but I figured it out. Man I hate feeling like an idiot. My problem is I plan to upgrade from HTiB to RB 61's and the only center channel I can fit into the opening is the RC 10 or a sideways RB 61. The wife nixed the idea of a shelf above the tv.

Hey, finally someone that I can relate to. I tend to feel like an idiot on a regular basis.

If those are your choices, then go with the RB 61 for the center. First try to convince your wife to allow the shelf above the tv. Eventhough I said what I said about the sideways approach, don't give it too much importance. The sound isn't going to be that much different. There are so many compromises to make in life. If necessary, make the compromises and move on. Life's too short. (apologies to the Lafayettes)

You mean like this?

Since that picture was taken I am now up to Five Forte IIs, two KG-4s, and two subs. The Macs are very happy pumping power to these full range speakers. My goal is to get two more Forte IIs and sell the KG-4s. No more subs though. Two is enough...................................................................................................for now.

I am very impressed

Thanks Roc.

You mean like this?

I am very impressed

Thanks Roc.

Boy you should hear this thing, especially with the two subs. I played a drum solo and it actually felt and sounded like the drum set was sitting in the room, at very, very, loud volumes. (105db - 107db) For a minute I thought I saw a drumstick flying across the room.

I am using a Cornwall on top of my TV on it's side. Looks freaking huge up there!

Sounds good. Would look even more odd upright though. On top of the tall TV.

Had a newer Klipsch center, rather large one, up there previously. I just could not keep up with the khorns on the sides.

Wonder what a Heresy would sound like up there.....

Paul

I am using a Cornwall on top of my TV on it's side. Looks freaking huge up there!

Sounds good. Would look even more odd upright though. On top of the tall TV.

Had a newer Klipsch center, rather large one, up there previously. I just could not keep up with the khorns on the sides.

Wonder what a Heresy would sound like up there.....

Paul

Paul, how does that f-113 sound?

Better. (obviously, or I would have changed it!). It produces a fuller sound, probably because of two woofers.

DRBILL

Do you have any way to measure the frequency sound levels of one vs. two? I'm interested in whether you are experiencing any frequency cancellation with the two speakers side-by-side. Some say that it is not a good idea to use two of a speaker model for the center channel. Just wondering.

FWIW, I use a pair of "side by side" LaScala's as the "center channel". I've tried three different ways: hooked as conventional L/R; hooked in series (positive to positive, negative to positive and then negative back to an AVR amp with a "center"); and in parallel with a normal amp set to L/R combined as mono. The result.... I cannot really tell the qualitative difference. It's there, but I cannot describe it. It's just "different". I just left them as L/R without any further changes. The amps and LCD TV are above them.

FWIW, I use a pair of "side by side" LaScala's as the "center channel". I've tried three different ways: hooked as conventional L/R; hooked in series (positive to positive, negative to positive and then negative back to an AVR amp with a "center"); and in parallel with a normal amp set to L/R combined as mono. The result.... I cannot really tell the qualitative difference. It's there, but I cannot describe it. It's just "different". I just left them as L/R without any further changes. The amps and LCD TV are above them.

Very interesting arrangement.

Looks good too.

Better. (obviously, or I would have changed it!). It produces a fuller sound, probably because of two woofers.

DRBILL

Do you have any way to measure the frequency sound levels of one vs. two? I'm interested in whether you are experiencing any frequency cancellation with the two speakers side-by-side. Some say that it is not a good idea to use two of a speaker model for the center channel. Just wondering.

I've always heard this also, but, if you go to the Lucasfilm THX website, it is recommended that the rear channels be placed side by side directly in the center rear, firing forward for movies and turned 90 degrees away from each other for "gaming".

DRBILL

I've always heard this also, but, if you go to the Lucasfilm THX website, it is recommended that the rear channels be placed side by side directly in the center rear, firing forward for movies and turned 90 degrees away from each other for "gaming".

Yea but what does this "Lucas" guy really know?

• 1 month later...

Many moons ago...circa 1980, my roomate at the the time, and I shared a grand old mansion that had belonged to his Aunt. It had a huge living room with chandelier and marble fireplace. We removed the space heater from the fireplace and inserted my Heresy pair. Used his LaScalas for Mains. It was great!

Hal

The issue that comes from using two speakers as center is comb-filtering. The frequencies affected depend on the distance separating the two speakers. Comb-filtering is the effect of two signals adding to eachother in places and canceling eachother out in other places where the signal arrive out of phase.

I would challenge you to hear the comb-filtering or any other anomolies for that matter just by ear, because you will not. It Could it be measured with sophisticated measuring equipment - perhaps.

That said I have run two centers in the past using their own amplifier's just "Y"ing off the center output from the AV Pre/Pro and always had good results. I did so when my center La Scala was oriented vertically so I got a better off axis dialogue performance which I am no longer doing. My brother in law Gilbert is using a pair of vertical Cornwalls for his center and has never had any audible issues.

The rear center speakers are matrixed from a mono signal that is why you have the option for 6.1 or 7.1 (single or dual rear effects/centers) and nothing regarding the comb filtering affects ever comes up about this arrangement.

Bottom line is whatever sounds good to you - DO IT!