Dragging out the over-played music

whell

Tonight is Genesis night on the turntable. The "Duke" album just wrapped up, and now I'm spinning "Invisible Touch". I had not listened to either of these albums in a while, particularly the latter, because the heavy rotation that the music has received on FM have made me sick to death of these albums.

Well, lo and behold, I can across a sealed copy of Invisible Touch on Monday. Sacrilege: I opened it an decided to give it a spin. Well, even though I have about every lyric and chord memorized on most of the songs on this album, I am amazed how good fresh vinyl can sound: to the point of reviving interest in the music that I thought FM played into the ground.

Along with fantastic production values on this album, I'd long forgotten that, for example, the FM version of the song "Tonight Tonight" bears only a passing resemblance to the album version. The instrumental portion of the song is edited out of the FM version, no doubt due to time constraints.

So, have you dragged out anything lately that you thought you'd never play again?

Along with fantasitc production values on this album, I'd long forgotten that, for example, the FM version of the song "Tonight Tonight" bears only a passing resemblence to the album version. The instrumental portion of the song is edited out of the FM version, no doubt due to time constraints.

So, have you dragged out anything lately that you thought you'd never play again?

The last thing I dragged out that I thought was played to death was Journey's Greatest Hits album. Granted, I don't think I'd ever loose any sleep if I never heard "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" again, but I have always did like Steve Perry's vocals plus there were a few old standards on there that I did forget about that was cool to listen to again, such as "Wheel in the Sky".

Also, oh yeah, many times, what you hear on the FM radio is a bastardization of the full album track. Yup, welcome to the world of the "radio edit". One that I remember was The Cars "Hello Again" off their Heartbeat Cit album. I remember my oldest brother managed to get on vinyl the "long/extended play" version of that song, and I thought it was the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. To this day, I've not found a copy of that, but would love to get one.

But right now, I am listening to something that was never, ever played on FM radio - Kamelot's brand-spanking-new album that just came out yesterday - Ghost Opera! WOW! This is just friggan awesome! Talk about fresh and new, and these guys are just frigging reeking with talent! I'd put these guys up against any current "radio" band that is currently in heavy rotation. Those bands would probably get schooled in just how music should be played and sound!

Love the "sealed" stuff......just received my 180g Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section today and cannot wait to get home to review this particular piece.

Just received the sealed copy of Jefferson Starship "Knee Deep in the Hoopla" (debut album) the other day, and will probably re-play tonight. Something about this album that brings back memories. I.E. 1985 Spring Break Daytona Beach w/Jefferson Starship and Mr. Mister.

Knee Deep in the Hoopla a debut album for Jefferson Starship? Nah. I think that was the album that marked Jefferson Starship changing their name to, simply, Starship. This was due to founding member Paul Kantner leaving the band, and then taking legal action against his former band mates over their desire to continue to use the name "Jefferson Starship". Thus, the "Hoopla" album marked a simple name change, but was not exactly a debut.

Genesis' music before Duke is so incredible with Peter Gabriel and the few albums after he left -- I like them so much because they are underplayed and powerful -- a far cry from Invisible Touch--

I listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road this week, and Born to Run last week -- its great to revisit great stuff long after the hype and over-rotation i gone--

Maybe next week some Fleetwood Mac?

Genesis went in the bucket after Peter Gabriel left............Phil Collins is a great drummer, but He's an awful front man, Hell, all my disc's sound new on the Scott...........

Those three albums, Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, and ,,,and then there were three, along with the live Seconds Out are among my favorite Genesis albums --where Phil and the band were still carrying the prog torch. Lyrics, instrumentals, and vocals are poetic and powerful. IMO those four are the equal of the last four with Peter.

after then Phil started thinking "hey let's sell our soul and fill some stadiums!" and pushed the spectacular keyboards of Tony Banks to the background--

Talk about over overplayed--how about Mama, Illegal Alien, and Taking it All Too Hard--

Genesis went in the bucket after Peter Gabriel left............Phil Collins is a great drummer, but He's an awful front man, Hell, all my disc's sound new on the Scott...........

Those three albums, Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, and ,,,and then there were three, along with the live Seconds Out are among my favorite Genesis albums --where Phil and the band were still carrying the prog torch. Lyrics, instrumentals, and vocals are poetic and powerful. IMO those four are the equal of the last four with Peter.

after then Phil started thinking "hey let's sell our soul and fill some stadiums!" and pushed the spectacular keyboards of Tony Banks to the background--

Talk about over overplayed--how about Mama, Illegal Alien, and Taking it All Too Hard--

I like Trespass (1970) too.

post-16099-13819334337018_thumb.jpg

Just too much Phil Collins for my tastes...and he was everywhere, with everybody...........Like I stated Great Drummer, he should stick with that...That's what is so great about music, different sounds for different tastes, there is something for everyone to listen to.........I'm not a Phil Collins Guy......