quality of a cd player

Ive been wondering about upgrading my DenonCd player model # DCD 810. On the front panel it has 2DAC / 4Times over sampling Double Super Linear Converter. I bought this new in 1988 $500.00, its always been a good cd player to me . Since ive really gotten into my music , i used a test cd one night that plays a track for a test of noise i believe. Any way your instructed to turn your volume up as the sound track is going down until you reach max volume . As the sound track is going down almost completely, you can hear a slight distortion in the left side . I have did all my process of eliminations, narrowing it down to the cd player. I used my dvd player from another room and the noise isnt there! So question , is this Denon worth repairing or is it time to move forward? Thanks for any input Chris[*-)]

That is some pretty thorough trouble shooting you did, which is alot like work.

My take on the Denon, like any kind of electronics, almost 20 years old, it would be most unlikely to find anyone who could service it. Problem would be replacing parts if needed. I suppose if one really wanted to take on the project, another unit could be cannibalized for parts, but you'd still have a pretty old piece of gear. The final decision would be what is it worth to you. If the sound is spectacular, the trouble could be worth it. I don't know any particulars about this unit. Conventional wisdom would probably to look for a new CDP.

Check the current CD thread on home theater. I would be willing to bet that a Sony ES9000 DVD/Cd player vintage 2001 used for $400 +/- $50 will blow most 20 year old players away. It did for mine which I paid around $3000, 18 yrs ago.

If you cannot hear any distortion when playing music at normal levels, why would you fix it?

Maybe the distortion has been there for a long time and was not noticeable. I'd run it til it quit and then look for

a replacement, if you prefer not to use the dvd player.

If you cannot hear any distortion when playing music at normal levels, why would you fix it?

Maybe the distortion has been there for a long time and was not noticeable. I'd run it til it quit and then look for

a replacement, if you prefer not to use the dvd player.

I have a $500 Denon CD player from 1989 in my offcie (DCD 1400). It has optical and coaxial digital outs. It is a harsh sounding player but a great transport using the DAC in my Panasonic SA XR55.

Lots of good points which renders this a bit strange... (but hey, I certainly don't want to interrupt a good discussion of the 'problem' when we still have no idea what the actual source of the 'problem' is. Otherwise the forum may be reduced to simply posting what you are listening to now! ;-) )

First, unless you performed some sort of test from a CD at high levels, you didn't know there was a 'problem'. Is this really a crisis? Any assurance that the CD itself is correct and not the source of the problem?

Second, you still don't know what is "wrong".

But, is it worth it to fix it? Well, after you determine just what is 'wrong', .......... maybe.

But, how do you know the 'problem' is not characteristic of the unit from inception? Are we assuming that the unit was the incarnation of perfection from the onset 20 years ago in the heyday(sic) of digital processing technology?

SO, since we still have no idea what is the source of the problem, you might calculate the value of bench time to determine what the 'problem' is. Then you can try to source and determine the cost of parts, assuming the part(s) is still made (despite 1980's digital technology being the paradigm of model electronics).

And don't forget the bench time required to make the actual repair...just to have a restored piece of digital history.

Or you can buy a new unit with current components for a fraction of the price. Of course, some may feel that you need a ~$1000+ CD player...

Its your choice, but I wonder if we aren't creating a problem or proposing heroic measures for what is, at best, a very minor problem. Maybe the answer is simply not to turn up the gain to max while playing a test CD. [;)]

Lots of good points which renders this a bit strange... (but hey, I certainly don't want to interrupt a good discussion of the 'problem' when we still have no idea what the actual source of the 'problem' is. Otherwise the forum may be reduced to simply posting what you are listening to now! ;-) )

Daddy Dee summed it up, it is not worth fixing if there is a real problem. He may be able to use it as a transport if he does not want to spend any money, or he can buy one of the suggested players.