HT SET-UP PARAMETERS

thall

My system:KLIPSCH LA SCALA'S for mains, RC-3 for center and RS-3's for surrounds. VELODYNE CT-150 for LFE. Powered by a SONY STR-DE835 receiver and a PANASONIC A120 DVD player. My center and rears are turned up as far as my receiver will allow. Would I benefit from purchasing Ovation's Avia Guide To HT CD to optimize my system?

You will also need a Sound Level Meter, catalog no. 33-2050 from Radio Shack. This is the analog model which is the preferred device. I have heard that Radio Shack has discontined this particular model, but you may luck out and find one in stock.

Just a general observation, it sounds to me you have your center and surrounds volume way too high. The meter and and the disk will help you get the result you desire.

Bill J.

check your effect level on that sony. turning that up on the dsp modes really brings up the rears. also, the center u have

is imo not loud enough for the lascala (not a good match).

but as wj says, the avia disk & good meter sure wouldn't hurt.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Your most significant challenge is the HUGE efficiency difference between the La Scalas and the other speakers. There is no way the RC-3 and RS-3 can keep up with the La Scalas. Best you will be able to do is turn the mains down to approximately match the center and rears. To do this, you'll absolutely need that sound level meter. Though many people believe they can set the levels pretty well by ear alone, it is not the case. Untill you've got the system really dialed in, you cannot achieve the proper replay effect.

Even with static levels matched, the enormous dynamic range of the La Scalas will mean that when the sound gets loud, the La Scalas will be louder than the other 3 speakers and when the sound gets quiet, the La Scalas will be quieter.

There are new centers and surrounds coming which will be a better (though not perfect) match for your wonderful main speakers. If you've dealt with a good local dealer, they may let you trade up at minimal or zero loss.