What are you driving right now?

"Would you believe....?" It was a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, one-of-a-kind, full-size, kit replica made by model-builder AMT of Troy, Michigan, then a 1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia and finally, a 1969 Opel GT.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the AMT product was a "model car" offered for sale as a tie-in to the show.

He drove a real 1965 Sunbeam Tiger in the show, which was actually his, as his contract stipulated that he got to keep the car used to shoot the credits. They used a Sunbeam Alpine (the four-cylinder version of the same body style) in lots of the stunts, as it was easier to get the other goodies under the hood (like the rocket launcher, etc.)

I can speak from experience - with a 289 shoe-horned into the front of my 1967 Tiger II, there was very little room for anything else - in order to change the two rear spark plugs, you'd pull rubber plugs out of the fire wall to access them...

it dynoed ~320 HP, did a 13.1 quarter mile - without positraction, leaving a single black mark was very easy. got 24 mpg on the highway loafing along. with the light weight and lots of torque, you could slowly let the clutch out at idle and not stall. 2nd or 3rd gear starts in the wet.

but, way too fast for a 21-year old Navy ensign. 20/20 hindsight does not agree, though.

Get Smart Sunbeam Sports Car

Here ya go Bill[;)]

Get Smart Car - Red Sunbeam Tiger convertible sports car issued to Control agent Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) on the spy comedy GET SMART/NBC/1965-70. The CFB600 model (License Plate No. D6-893) contained a cigarette lighter (that doubled as a grenade); ejector seat (activated by remote control or switch on dashboard); exhaust pipe machine gun, tail pipe oil slick device, two 100-velocity, 50-caliber machine guns concealed in hood, radar scan, radar tracking device to track Control agent cars. (activated by pulling light switch and turning it left); radiator cap filled with poisonous gas; trunk (opened by dialing the plate numbers to CA44N); and smoke screen device. The car cost $32,000. During the second season Maxwell Smart got a blue Karman Ghia convertible. During the fifth season, Max drove a gold 1969 Opel GT sports car. On a few occasions, Max drove a white Mustang convertible. TRIVIA NOTE: In episode No. 114. "Ironhand" (aired 3rd October 1969) while trying to prevent KAOS henchman Ironhand (Paul Richards) from getting "The Anti-Anti-Anti-Missile-Missile" plans, Maxwell Smart accidentally fires a mortar shell and completely destroys his gold Opel. But miracles upon miracles, in the scene shortly after that, Max pulls up to the Washington airport in the same car with no damage what so ever to the car.

OB, I've been wondering what your Porsche looked like.......[H]

It's been posted by others, I could never get a picture to post before...............Not sure what I did......with the 84 fuel injected engine, it puts out 220 horses in a 2365 lb. car....................A Silver Bullet........indeed..............

the AMT product was a "model car" offered for sale as a tie-in to the show.

He drove a real 1965 Sunbeam Tiger in the show, which was actually his, as his contract stipulated that he got to keep the car used to shoot the credits. They used a Sunbeam Alpine (the four-cylinder version of the same body style) in lots of the stunts, as it was easier to get the other goodies under the hood (like the rocket launcher, etc.)

I stand corrected on the AMT info. I had mis-read the information I pulled up on the subject. Thanks for the correction.

George Barris is a famous car cutomizer who did many custom cars for TV shows: The Batmobile and the Munstermoble for example. Barris was heavily-tied with AMT and I miscalculated that he'd gotten involved once again with AMT to collaborate on the 'Get Smart' Tiger as well when I read that AMT had their hands on the car. I was mistaken. - Glenn

On the left is my wife's Mint, 1996 Mustang SVT Cobra in Laser Red with only 23,000 original miles on it. On the right is my 2005 Ford Freestyle.

Some of you will notice this photo was taken before I hung up my Black Ash Heresy III's above the work bench in the rear of the garage. -Glenn

post-10177-13819334649488_thumb.jpg

The before:

Cardeer010.jpg

Cardeer014.jpg

$7,000 damage, but it looks as good as new today! EDIT: Believe it or not, but this was from a car/deer accident involving a very modest sized 1 1/2 year old buck. And, yes, I did eat my roadkill! [pi]

• Moderators

For work an old Chevy 3/4 ton truck 1989, no rust or dents. To old even for a pic ! But it does only have 35,000 miles, and only cost $1500 when I got it a couple of years ago, it's hard to pass up a work truck with low miles, and cheap ! It was a city owned truck, water dept truck, took the water dept stickers off and painted it, put a new alternator & battery in it and used it ever since, no other problems. All it's used for is to pull a 20' goose neck trailer, I don't even disconnect the trailer.