3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

Ah Yes, FRANKFURT, remember it well......there 4 months, then off to Southeast Asia, Club 65, Jim Beam Club, CRAZY SEXY....Yup,I remember..

Yassiree... Crazy Sexy... 5th floor - two for one deal... 100 DM.... always big trouble when the MP's from Gutleut Kaserne (201st Bn) regularly raided the place in '71. First girlfriend in "land of the rads" worked there. Supported me in a style to which I would like to be accustomed. Did not last long though, about 2-3 weeks, but boy was it was fun[<:o)]. Got called in to the 1SG's office; told dump the girl or get my clearance dumped..... Still can't figure out how he found out...

We collected the mug and a bottle from each brewery.[;)] Unfortunately, Customs said NO to the bottles (they inspect ALL household goods before they are packed for shipping), so we had to get rid of the bottles before I rotated back to the US.[:'(] They were unopened...[:P] Oh the humanity, the tragedy!![H]. But it was an interesting few days.... [H]

Not much "bag time". Partying was pretty much limited to about once every 3-4 weeks, and only one day or so. Figure full time over there from 1971 to 1985 and off and on again until late 1997. About 2 beers per brewery and that was it; girlfriend did the driving and we'd head off to do something else[6]

You don't like the mugs? Oh the horror!!! LOLOL. The carved flowers were made from cedar by a retired Captain I knew. My wife loves them and they have been carted around for many years.

Times have changed; on History Channel's Modern Marvels last night was their special on breweries. Seems that Sam Adams now lays claim to the world's strongest beer - Sam Adams - "Utopia" at 25%..... Use to be Eisbock at 23% made by monks in Germany. The Eisbock is made from partially freezing a doublebock keg and what's in the middle (the still not frozen part) is then drained off. It's sold only during the winter and only in certain pubs (gasthaus) around Hesse. Seen it only once in the US on a business visit to New York City in 2003. Outrageous cost, did not even bother at $12 for a 8 oz glass. Anyone seen Utopia around? First I heard of it was yesterday.

And now a word from the sponsors.....LOL

This stuff is now on eBay!!!![:|]

From realbeer.com.........

Those wild and crazy guys at Boston Beer Co. have done it again, brewing a beer so strong they label it 48 proof, using terminology usually reserved for spirits. Sam Adams Utopias MMII, which goes on sale this month, is in fact 24% alcohol by volume, making it the strongest commercial beer in the world.

The previous strongest was Sam Adams Millennium, a one-time batch brewed in 1999, at 21%.

To create the beer, Sam Adams' brewers used two-row, caramel and Vienna malts, then all four types of noble hops, leaving the beer spicy enough that some call it "fiery." The beer was aged in scotch, cognac and port barrels from February 2001 until late last year. The aroma has a "distinctive smell of cinnamon and vanilla with subtle hints of floral, citrus and pine."

"At a time when light beers are growing in popularity - we wanted to introduce a rich-tasting and unique beer that would rekindle interest in the other side of the beer spectrum," said Boston Beer founder Jim Koch, whose own brewery recently rolled out Sam Adams Light.

Utopias MMII is packaged in a copper-finished brew kettle designed to look like larger kettles used by brewers. The suggested retail for the 3,000 24-ounce bottles available is $100. The Millennium was priced at $200 when it first shipped in 1999, with a few bottles commanding $1,000 in Internet auctions before sanity prevailed.

Because we knew you'd ask, here's where Utopias will be available: Chicago, Denver-Boulder, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Detroit, Boston metro area, New York, Hartford (Conn.), Rhode Island, Long Island, Burlington (Vt.), Springfield (Mass.), Monmouth-Ocean City (N.J.), Albany (N.Y.) metro area, New Haven (Conn.), Augusta-Waterville (Me.), Portland (Me.), Stamford-Norwalk (Conn.), Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Sacramento, Washington D.C., and Baltimore.

Sam Adams ..... also released Triple Bock, which included maple syrup as an ingredient. It was fermented with champagne yeast and finished at a hefty 17.5% abv. For the arrival of the millennium, Sam Adams and Dogfish Head in Delaware both went after the record. Dogfish Head released its World Wide Stout, fermented with seven different yeasts, in December 1999 with a record 18.1% abv.

Heat Wave solutions.....

In Germany a very popular "summatime" concoction is called a "radler" (slang for bicycle folks). 50% lager and 50% lemon lime soda (Sprite or 7-Up). Don't laugh!!! After it hits about 100 and you pile off the lawnmower, etc. try one.

Noticed that Miller now has a version of their Miller Light called "Chill" with lime juice and salt. Same price as regular Miller, but they've done the lime juice for you. Not bad, but IMHO, if one goes the route with lime, just do the Corona route.

Caveat on beer "testing": Do NOT drink and drive!!! Designated driver if you have to go somewhere; or even better, go find the beer and go home, get comfortable, and listen to your Klipsch!![H]

Times have changed; on History Channel's Modern Marvels last night was their special on breweries. Seems that Sam Adams now lays claim to the world's strongest beer - Sam Adams - "Utopia" at 25%..... Use to be Eisbock at 23% made by monks in Germany. The Eisbock is made from partially freezing a doublebock keg and what's in the middle (the still not frozen part) is then drained off. It's sold only during the winter and only in certain pubs (gasthaus) around Hesse. Seen it only once in the US on a business visit to New York City in 2003. Outrageous cost, did not even bother at $12 for a 8 oz glass. Anyone seen Utopia around? First I heard of it was yesterday.

My store has it, its actually 25% and its comes in a snazzy copper bottle. It is none carbonated and should be drunk like a port or cognac or scotch, without ice.

We sell it for 149.99. We brought 6 and have not sold one......... Most people don't even know it exists.