3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

No whiskey just Beer at wedding............did not partake, still getting ragged at for early mornin' beer drinkin'........you do catch a wicked buzz early in the morning........it was fun, but paying for it all day.......Ah you win some, you lose some !!!!!!!!!!..............

OOOPS, the Beer Gods have blessed my Ice Box again.........must be company coming again, I will do my share to make sure there's not enough Beer here for them to get drunk.......I really shouldn't drink.......snicker,snicker.....it's bad for me.........snicker,snicker, Liquor is quicker.....[<:o)]

I'm not a huge beer drinker (prefer red wine and Tanqueray and Tonic), but my fridge in the garage stays stocked with Moosehead, Corona, Yuengling and Bud Select for when friends come over. However, earlier this week I had the best tasting beer I have ever consumed. It's a Belgian beer made by monks called Trappistes Rochefort 10. They make a 6, 8 and 10 based on the coloring content percentage. I'm not a big dark beer lover but this beer is very flavorful. It's not cheap... about $36/six pack if you can find it.

From what I understand they have been brewing this beer since the 16th century.

Here is a link to the website and an excerpt:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.trappistes-rochefort.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTrappistes%2BRochefort%26hl%3Den

In Rochefort, the monks brew four times per week (Monday at Thursday).

Each mash tub accounts for 75 to 100 hl beer, according to the desired density. The annual production is of 18000 hl.

Range

The brewery produces three types of beer:

the Trappist Rochefort 6°

the Trappist Rochefort 8°

the Trappist Rochefort 10°

All three are brown ales, colouring being sunk gradually according to the title of beer.

From which do the names Trappistes Rochefort 6°, 8° and 10° come?

Our beers draw their names from an old measuring unit of the density: the Belgian legal degree.

Numbers 6, 8 and 10 do not indicate the degree of alcohol of beer. They actually correspond to the values of the densities measured on musts, before the fermentation of respective beers. For historical reasons, these denominations are always of topicality.

Today, Rochefort are conditioned in normal drainings, always of 33 Cl, decorated with beautiful large paper labels. The monks of the Abbey Notre-Dame de Saint-rémy market their beer for a very long time. Nowadays, the sale of Rochefort is done via wholesalers coming to remove themselves the beers with the Abbey. The private individuals cannot in no case to come to buy them directly with the brewery. But the Abbey has its store where one can find the Rochefort Trappists.

If you can find it you need to try this beer.

Mike

Great post Mike!! very Interesting, reminds me of my trips to the local breweries in Germany (ah the days of yore!!). Germans, like the Belgians, are very, very strict on their brewing standards. germans have laws, the "Reinheitsgebot" or "purity laws" and don't fool around with any substandard products related to their national pastime...

First day off since I don't know when (about a month or so...), so getting my lazy kids to cut the jungle we used to call a yard, clean out the septic tank we used to call a pool, and I'm supervising (from inside...). Cold Sam Adams Summer Ale in hand, bare feet, listening to Cornwalls and contemplating an afternoon nap. Maybe a nice cold "Hefeweis" with lemon next.... (wheat beer).

I was stationed in northern Germany from 78 - 82, and did a lot of traveling as I was on the base bowling and volleyball teams (a 5' 8" setter, but I could spike it as well then :-). I got to try a number of beers over there during that time, and espeically enjoyed the seasonal beers when they would scrape the vats. Those boys sure do know how to brew some beer there, but I think the Belgians are known for the finest tasting beers in the world.

Mike

So true Mike, I used to love and go visit my buddies in Bitburg where the Bitburg Alt was the best Alt I've ever had but my heart now lies with Belgiams Chimay Trappist Ale. IMHO the best beer on this planet[;)]

And always remember "Chimay and she may not[:o]"

which trappist do you like? the grand reserve?

Ah yes Grooms, the Pils is a great summer brew. When I lived in Germany my landlords father used to love his Pils because as he said it had bite (Pils are a little more bitter and do get your taste buds attention but in a very good way[;)]) I remember going to the plats (German Walmarts) and getting a case of Paulaners (20 20oz bottle for $4.00[Y]) Prosit