3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

No internet service at home. Bummer.....either the router or modem I guess or either RoadRunner. I hate trying to figure these things out with my extremely limited computer skills.

Thanks again for the well wishes guys. Picking the wife up Saturday after her doctors appointment in Charlotte. She received some encouragement there.....hopefully enough to last till a kidney comes through. She did have a fun stay with her sister and brother-in-law.

Say hey to everybody at the Ga gathering winchester. Sounds like a good time and I hear bear chops are on the menu.

Hope all the regulars and those passing through have a great weekend. Now its home to cut the grass[:S]

Ga gathering was a blast. Plenty of everything. Some of these guys are freaking scientists when it comes to evaluating and measuring equipment. Found out quickly just how much that I did not know about audio gear.

The 25 year old Macalan scotch was unbelievable.Bob's DBBs and Modded K horns sounded great as expected.

back to the hellish place called work tomorrow

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Returned home from Austin, TX yesterday... It was a very prosperous trip. I got a huge raise while I was there. Our family standard of living should greatly improve. Now I'm enjoying an excellent cigar and a good glass of wine.... Geez, I thought my son was never going to graduate from college..... LOL!

If there was sex I missed out-I was out on the deck smoking cigars and drinking scotch for most of the weekend. You may want to check your source for the juicy details. Like Sgt Schultz in Hogan's heros- he old TV show- I saw NOTHING- I know NOTHING.

Our 19-year-old daughter (who had RNY gastric bypass in Sept. '08) woke us up yesterday morning @ 1 AM with terrible abdominal pains. I took her to the ER. Turns out she has gall stones (fairly common with rapid weight loss). Weird thing is, she had an ultrasound back in January, and no one told us she had gall stones. It was in the report! Well, she'll be having surgery, hopefully this afternoon. She's on good meds, so she's relatively comfortable. No drinks yesterday, but I was able to sample every coffee machine/cart available at the hospital. Well, except for the one at the nurse's station that smelled kinda like hot dogs.

That is definitely not cool- not telling you-WT??????? I would be asking some questions.

laying off the hard stuff for a couple of days- get my taste buds back in sync after the mega scotch ruined me.

pilsner urquel and modelo ***** for a few days

Gregg,

Thoughts and prayers for your daughter's gall stone surgery and for a speedy recovery. Too bad they didn't tell you about this back in January when you might have been able to plan for things and avoid a painful night and trip to the ER. [:@]

Our youngest daughter is adjusting to her hearing instrument pretty well. I asked the audiologist for a graph of Alea's hearing without aid and she said to get it from the receptionist and I forgot so I'm not sure how bad her hearing is in her bad ear but she can hear much better now. Amazing how difficult it is to hear with nn% loss in one ear and the other ear pretty much normal.

Time for bed. Work in the morning.

I'm back from the hospital. Paloma's operation this afternoom went really well! She went into pre-op at about 3 and was back in her room by 6! My wife is still there with her (she worked today and needed to nurture the baby a bit more [;)]). Paloma's got her phone and laptop on overdrive right now, texting, calling, Facebooking and Skyping! Oh yeah, she'll be OK. At least on the pain meds....[;)]

Thanks for the continued well-wishes!!

Glad that your daughter is doing better.

TH- Hows about some reports on that BB??? Dying to hear about it.

looking at selling my CWs and buying a set of belles that have been modded into the statosphere. Everything new- wood horns- jbl drivers- ALK jrs- total cosmetic upgrades-refirb. One listener thought they were a bit shrill on the high end- For my limited 2 ch listening and constant HT surround speaker intended use- they would be wonderful. Waiting on the present owner to decide on letting them go.

Wife is going to her supper club tonite so the kid and are heading to the range after work today. Maybe stop off on the way home for a burger and some draft.

Cheers to everybody

Good news fini....here is to a quick recovery for your daughter. Good to hear Ben's daughter is hearing better.

Winchester......thanks for asking. The BB Extreme is a fine preamp as many of you know and I am happy with mine. It arrived in mint condition and could pass for new (thanks Tom). This is the black faced model that was sent back to Mark who added the 6H30 supertube and the cream option in 2009. There is a phono input for LOMC cartridges and one for MM. I have a very nice MM cartridge so no plans for the LOMC imput though its nice to have it available. I have not done a side by side comparison with the Quicksilver Full Function Preamp so I can't say how that would turn out though I suspect the JM has the edge. Keep in mind that the QS is over 15 years old and sold for about the same price then as does the JM at its peak. Sorry I don't have a good grasp on terms to describe the sound other than to say the phono section has a very nice midrange warmth and the linestage via the tape loop makes a very good recording sound even better. Neil Young Live at Massey Hall recorded at 7 1/2 ips on the best Maxell tape was dramatic. I like it so much I haven't had the urge to crack it open and see what the tubes are inside. I know Tom did some tube rolling while he had it and I don't know what he decided were the most pleasing tubes to him. Bring that Zu with you when you get down this way and we will try the cream option.

Enough about that.......cheers gentlemen.

sorry to hear about your daughter's health trouble fini--i sure hope everything works out. not sure what condition you'll be in if you drink any of that hot dog coffee though.
best wishes buddy, steve

Hey, maybe it'd be OK if it was brewed in a Bunn...Ooh, bad groaner....

Last report on my daughter, I think (for now!). I brought her home this afternoon. Amazing that she was in the hospital only 62 hours, from ER to the day in her room, next day bye-bye gall bladder and 24 hours later she's watching Scrubs (didn't she get enough of that???) on the couch. Thanks again you guys for the support here. Ben, glad to hear Alea is hearing better. You might have to get her some Heresys to celebrate! Tarheel, I continue to keep you and your dearest in my thoughts and hopes. BTW, I've been reluctant to bust into my BBX for the same reason as you: It sounds so dang sweet with the tubes Mark put in there!

On the audio front, I'm starting to get back into my Thorens TD-124 project. My main problem is motor noise. I've done most every standard thing to bring it up to snuff: new platter bearings, rebuilt motor, heavy gunmetal thrust plate, etc. I will rebuild the motor again, this time with brand new scintered bronze motor bushings, but the fini innovation® will involve raising the motor ever-so-slightly, so it does not fully hang from the chassis. I decided the best way to precisely lift the motor was to incorporate what's called a lab jack (a scissor lift type of contraption used in laboratories to hold beakers 'n' stuff). I have some ideas about how to isolate the motor/jack from the rest of the plinth, too. I have high hopes this will solve the problem that makes my Thorens basically unlistenable. Stay tuned---this is my Summer project!

labjack1.jpg

I hope I live long enough to hear the ^%% Zu Mod-*&*&&!!!!!!! Some idiot told me 2 week turnaround tops. Whae he didnt bother to tell me was that they had no f((&*(ing parts until fall or early next year. I am sitting on a NIB Denon 103 R and a 124 TT not set up trying to decide what to do. Dont count on me to hear a ZU cartridge until they get their s*&t together. I am just a little upset over that deal

Glad you are enjoying your BB- Mark would not build me one. I honestly think the Peach/Tercell combo falls short of ther BB for whatever reason. Sold my Tercel. talked to others who have done likewise.very happy with my P2/CPCH PS audio. From what I have heard- Buy A MC cartridge for that BB to get the max effect.

Cooking some BBQ to die for- whole Smithfield pork loin-huge loin- 4" dia in the oven @ 325 . took it out at 2-1/2- hours- added my homemade hot sauce. Cook for another hour- then let cool downin the oven for 30 min. OMG what a feast.
Buddy came over- got into the Black Jack- maybe set the tone for the weekend.
Cheers to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1