Just in case you forgot how bad he really was, vol. 17

I was surprized by Dr Who's comment about speed metal, too; but I have a theory...

The virtuosity of horn players in popular music has declined. Back when jazz was king it was not so unusual to hear a sax solo develop and extend for many minutes.. in more recent times, modern popular music has relagated the sax to either accompanyment phrases or breif uninspiring solos of simple slow pentatonic scales entrapped in the modes of the song's chord progression (classic pop tune third verse solo). Many modern era listeners to popular music may not know the work from the old jazz players or may never have had exposure to it because of modern radio and CD markets. I'm not saying Dr Who has not heard this, but he represents a younger generation of listeners with more exposure to or involvement with modern popular music.

One area of popular modern music where the soloist does play fast extended solos is in speed metal, and the more accomplished of the lead guitar players use multiple melodic modes (many of them stolen from jazz); these modes being not based on the simple chord progression.. to good effect. Some of these solos take many minutes to develop and extend their ideas.

I can see how Dr Who would make this connection nowadays. Fusion might be a better connection - its jazzy and also has fast players, heres one I like

I was surprized by Dr Who's comment about speed metal, too; but I have a theory...

The virtuosity of horn players in popular music has declined. Back when jazz was king it was not so unusual to hear a sax solo develop and extend for many minutes.. in more recent times, modern popular music has relagated the sax to either accompanyment phrases or breif uninspiring solos of simple slow pentatonic scales entrapped in the modes of the song's chord progression (classic pop tune third verse solo). Many modern era listeners to popular music may not know the work from the old jazz players or may never have had exposure to it because of modern radio and CD markets. I'm not saying Dr Who has not heard this, but he represents a younger generation of listeners with more exposure to or involvement with modern popular music.

One area of popular modern music where the soloist does play fast extended solos is in speed metal, and the more accomplished of the lead guitar players use multiple melodic modes (many of them stolen from jazz); these modes being not based on the simple chord progression.. to good effect. Some of these solos take many minutes to develop and extend their ideas.

I can see how Dr Who would make this connection nowadays. Fusion might be a better connection - its jazzy and also has fast players, heres one I like

Uh . . . .Okay, then . . . .

terrifically smokin. hot band too. too bad there's like 100 people in the field waiting for nightfall and some big name band that would probably fall far short of this afternoon performance.

and yes, I get Doc's comment. not a slam at all Allan, not to worry. it was Doc's way of complimenting the virtuosity.

In more recent times, modern popular music has relagated the sax to either accompanyment phrases or breif uninspiring solos of simple slow pentatonic scales entrapped in the modes of the song's chord progression (classic pop tune third verse solo).

I disagree.

That's ok, it's all just noise anyway [:D]

I still think the connections are strong. On one hand you've got almost seemingly random technical playing and no body language, and on the other you've got the breathe controlled meter (where's the rhythm?!?)