Altec Model 19 vs . Klipschorn

dkalsi

cornman,

could you say more about your experience with jubs? Sounds like you have found them underwhelming.

you note that the jubilees, 'in themselves have not made me a happier man.'

Indeed, please give us your opinion on them.

cornman,

could you say more about your experience with jubs? Sounds like you have found them underwhelming.

you note that the jubilees, 'in themselves have not made me a happier man.'

Happy to say more about the Jubs guys. First let me say my post ( Mdl 19 is a two way, perhaps we should be comparing it to the Klipsch
two way - Jubilee. Anyone want to swap there Jub's for Altec 19's?Wink Not in my house)...was directed at Arash, whom I was concerned had mistaken my words for arrogance & gloating over the expensive Jubs as being the one & only, "best of the best" . Not my intent at all. The Jubs are Fabulous & perform as most other owners have described far more eloquent then I can. I have owned all the Heritage series except the Bella's & the Chorus, In my listening room (without good corners & several other undesirable architectural traits, the Jubs have given me the best performance. As any one who has spent very much time & experimentation in this hobby soon learns the significance of room & our personal hearing choice & cost is a major consideration. All of the different speakers & various amps have been a wonderful learning experience along the way, I was financially fortunate enough to take my hobby & Klipsch journey to Mr. Pauls final creation,. Since I am almost 70 now, I thought I better do it now,, tomorrow is always an unknown [8-)] especially at my age. LOL..

Shoot, even as good as they sound now, I am still anxious to try other amps & other fine tuning experiments, just my nature. The jubs have been in the house about 7 months now, & I have only listened, have not even started the cosmetic plans of staining the center panel's to match walls & still kicking around different options for grill cloth etc. Some call them plug uglies, but I could care less when I am listening, for me its all about the reproduction of music.

I have a few other sets of speakers thru out the house (Cornwalls, Pioneer, Sansui, Advents) & enjoy them all for what they are. If I can help any one with specific questions, PM or email me.

Enjoy my friends, now back to our Altec mdl. 19 thread, [:D]

Cornman

Arash another thing about Altecs, its hard to find amps that will make them sound their best. If you look on the Altec board there is an interesting thread going under "I hate my Altecs" you should take a look, it explains a lot about what you are in for....

Steve,

well, the Khorns and LaScalas both use the venerable K-401 horn. The sound is very good.

I've used tractrix mid horn replacements in my vintage Khorns and now in my LaScalas. to my ears the tractrix mid horns have a more open sound.

That is indeed a beautiful 2a3 amp, did you build it Arash?

Cornman

thanks man [Y]

yes It was built here. it sounds ultimately good and accurate. actually better than many expensive gears I heard. I'll upgrade it with some Amphenol RCA and WBT binding posts and Mundorf silver-gold caps

I don't know about the 811, but I had a 511 that I was using in place of the K-400 in my La Scala's, and it was night and day better than the K-400. And that was with the K-55 driver mated to it.

Mike

I have both 811 and 511 horns and also K-400. both 811 and 511 sound far better than K-400. I tested them using some Altec CDs and also K-55 and Selenium D-250X. 811 sounds just like 511 but 511 has a higher cutt-off frequency. for using as a mid-range horn 511 is better but in a two-way like M19 811 sounds better because the smaller horn pronounces higher frequency better than 511

use some bitumen as dampening material outside of 511 and it'll sound more open with no honkiness and ringing

I agree that the Khorns are good speakers, but I wonder if some of you are hearing the same 19s that I am hearings. First off, and IMO very importantly, the 19s have much better extended HF response...infact, the Khorns don't go much over 17k. The 19s go beyond 20k with the original diapgragms in them. Secondly, the altecs easliy go down to 30hz. Altec spec sheets show 30hz- 20khz freq response. Khorns show 33hz- 17khz. Furthermore, most of the graphs I've seen done on Khorns don't have extended highs or the flattest frequency response. I really don't think its as cut and dry as some of you guys say and out of the two systems, if anyone is a limitied compromise, I really feel its the Khorn. Of couse, I am wasting my breath on a Klispch forum typing this...haha. Just a fun debate for me. I will always love my altecs. They pioneered two way design and were the industry standard in recording studios for years. Some of you talk about the 19s as tho they were the A7 voice of the theaters. Yes, the A7s didn't have a great low frequency response, and their high end response was only as good as the khorns. BUT, the model 19s are great full range speakers and technically they extend lower and higher than the khorn.

The difference is likely lower distortion of the Khorn. Hell I'd love to have a pair of each.

The pair of tractrix horns, built by forum friend, just fit inside the top hat. I'd planned on building a new motorboard to use with it, but was moving into a place that could not accommodate Khorns, so didn't go further with that project.

i'd suggest taking a look at Dave's fastlane audio website.

he builds a couple of different size tractrix horns. i'm currently using the one built as a drop in replacement for LaScala. he also builds one for Khorn with the option of a replacement Khorn tophat motorboard if desired.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/

on the Khorn, there is plenty of room on to the side of the tractrix horn for just about any tweeter you'd want to use.

volti audio is another source.