6922/6DJ8 preamp preference?

HarryO

"but think I'm developing a bias towards german tubes, and I don't think that's a good thing. Gotta stay opened minded, but it's hard."

Yep, kinda lean in this direction too. I've been looking for a good pair of old Tele's for a month or so myself. Getting hard to find. This is what I had in mind but a bit frustrated because I haven't been able to find the "right" ones. It's why I'm asking opinions on these.

Harry

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple of months playing around with preamp tubes I've finally found some I like real well. Mullard ECC88 Gold Pins. No noise and a good range. I was surprised to say the least as I usually prefer Mullard in output tubes not in the pre. They're smooth and detailed. Still sparkling on the top with a crisp deep bottom and the blend well all the way up. Sweet.

From light Jazz, blues, rock and roll, Big Band, to classical they're doing a real nice job. Worth checking out. Price? Nothing is perfect. I've found my ears don't care for budget components. They're working out good on this Picky Dodd Audio ELP. Nice pre but extremely hard to get right. I think the Dodd is better suited to conventional tweets. Of course all this is going to change when the new preamp comes in soon. Start over. As usual.

Harry

post-24628-13819338903634_thumb.jpg

Harry you can look over at my thread on tubes for the Njoe Tjoeb CDP, or I can list a few here. Glad to hear you found the sound you were looking for. My ears also tend to favor the vintage tube sound, it may just be my system or my ears. In my trials for the correct sound, I ended up with the Amperex 6DJ8/ A frame design. They sounded a little better than others I tried in my system. Others were Siemmens ECC288, Amperex 7308, Phillips 6922, RCA 6DJ8, and a couple others.

Jay

I've been watching the Njoe thread. I just looked at it before this posting notice came through on email. I've tried the Amperex in 4 versions for the pre. No good on the pre. Too noisy. On my CDP they're just the ticket. Full range and clear. I was sure they would work on the Dodd but no go. There's some good advice on tubes here. We're not the only ones spending good money on tubes and it's great to get the input from others with similar gear.

Harry

I really like the Telefunken E88CC/6922. It was the best sounding 6DJ8 in my Airtight ATE-2 preamp. Not as dry sounding as many 6DJ8's. At that time, I only had one NOS CCa (which I sold to Gary) so I coundn't make a head to head shootout. The Valvo redprint E88CC was close second.

Guy, I agree completely. I'm currently running some 1960's Telefunken CCa's in the BBX. I have some of nos nib early red print Valvo pinched waist E88CC's, but haven't yet tried them. I think I'll do that later today, but the Telefunken and Seimens are gonna be tough to beat. I've tried Mullards but ditched them, I've tried Bugle Boy's and liked them, but the german tubes sound better to my ears, but think I'm developing a bias towards german tubes, and I don't think that's a good thing. Gotta stay opened minded, but it's hard.

I'm with you here also Gilbert, I have had many old Grundig units since my youth and the Tele's are the most balanced all around that I've listened to[;)]