What does the 250 watts max really mean on RF 7 speakers?

zuzu

Your ears would probably burst before the speakers did. The RF7 is rated at 250W continuous and 1000 peak. If you powered then at full 250W they would be pumping out roughly 125dB continuously without any risk of blowing the speakers. At that power they could fluctuate to as high as 1000W for short intervals without damaging the speakers.

I wouldn't recommend cranking things up full when you first turn your system on. I blew a tweeter once because my Dad didn't know how to work the system and had cranked everything up to max. I popped in a DVD and when the THX sound played my center channel's tweeter ripped. It was rated at 125W and the amp at 100W. Of course that was a cheaper Cerwin Vega center powered by a cheap Kenwood amp. I'm sure a titanium dome would be harder to break than a silk dome tweeter. That was 10 years ago when i didn't know what quality was. I'm a Klipsch man now.

Your ears would probably burst before the speakers did. The RF7 is rated at 250W continuous and 1000 peak. If you powered then at full 250W they would be pumping out roughly 125dB continuously without any risk of blowing the speakers. At that power they could fluctuate to as high as 1000W for short intervals without damaging the speakers.

I wouldn't recommend cranking things up full when you first turn your system on. I blew a tweeter once because my Dad didn't know how to work the system and had cranked everything up to max. I popped in a DVD and when the THX sound played my center channel's tweeter ripped. It was rated at 125W and the amp at 100W. Of course that was a cheaper Cerwin Vega center powered by a cheap Kenwood amp. I'm sure a titanium dome would be harder to break than a silk dome tweeter. That was 10 years ago when i didn't know what quality was. I'm a Klipsch man now.

that spl rating is if the speaker was linear all the way through, past a certain point the speakers are not so much linear as space heaters as the extra energy is just wasted as heat and not sound. The RF-7 max out around 120 db.

Also just because the speaker is rated to 250 rms watts and the amp is 380 watts does not mean you need to use all of them... When was the last time you experienced all your horsepower and torque in your car on a constant basis?

Uh.......this morning.

I like the way you drive

[au].........................[st]

3 speeding tickets within 6 days. I'm not proud of it. And when I was a lot younger, 3 tickets in one traffic stop. Also not proud.

okay for the sane people, when was the last time that you experienced 100% of what the car and offer you?

In '71 I was home on leave from the USMC and in 1 week I got 4 speeding tickets on the same stretch of New York street by the same cop. I went to court in uniform and noticed on the judges bench was a small "Eagle, Globe, and Anchor" plaque. (logo of USMC). My defense was I was a Marine and the cop was probably an army MP. I claimed I was being picked on because of "rivalry of military branches". The cop fessed up he had been an MP and the judge dismissed the charges and scolded the cop for the harrassment. On the way out of court I apologized to the cop. He laughed at me, shook my hand, and said he was proud of our servicemen and I should have told him I was on leave. Good Guy that cop.

A couple of months later I received a letter from the judge on USMC military stationary. We became "pen pals"

I don't drive fast anymore. Except on the track. I do however drive my speakers to maximum levels with maximum power at times.

I was mono-blocking PS400 Crowns about 2 years ago running Cornwalls and brought both 400's up to full power and slowly cranked the IC150a preamp completely

. Ran them that way for 15 or 20 seconds showing off for a friend. He made fun of my ugly system all the time until that day. Crowns and CWs, "Refridgerators and Black boxes" It don't get much uglier than that.

Harry

In '71 I was home on leave from the USMC and in 1 week I got 4 speeding tickets on the same stretch of New York street by the same cop. I went to court in uniform and noticed on the judges bench was a small "Eagle, Globe, and Anchor" plaque. (logo of USMC). My defense was I was a Marine and the cop was probably an army MP. I claimed I was being picked on because of "rivalry of military branches". The cop fessed up he had been an MP and the judge dismissed the charges and scolded the cop for the harrassment. On the way out of court I apologized to the cop. He laughed at me, shook my hand, and said he was proud of our servicemen and I should have told him I was on leave. Good Guy that cop.

Great save! You should be a goalie.

"What does the 250 watts max really mean on RF 7 speakers?"

No one will know what the manufacture was thinking when they proclaimed that spec unless the manufacture specifies it in either their marketing material or owners info.

Did they do a test? Was it pink noise? Was it white noise? Was it continous power? Was it peak power? Was it average power? Was it at all frequencies from 20hz - 20khz? Was it only at 1khz?

Klipsch has some very useful test data, but sometimes it is difficult to find.

Uh.......this morning.

I like the way you drive

3 speeding tickets within 6 days. I'm not proud of it. And when I was a lot younger, 3 tickets in one traffic stop. Also not proud.

okay for the sane people, when was the last time that you experienced 100% of what the car and offer you?

I guess that shuts me up.

Especially since I may have totaled my car Saturday. Depends on what the insurance co. says.

A couple of months later I received a letter from the judge on USMC military stationary. We became "pen pals"

I don't drive fast anymore. Except on the track. I do however drive my speakers to maximum levels with maximum power at times.

I was mono-blocking PS400 Crowns about 2 years ago running Cornwalls and brought both 400's up to full power and slowly cranked the IC150a preamp completely

. Ran them that way for 15 or 20 seconds showing off for a friend. He made fun of my ugly system all the time until that day. Crowns and CWs, "Refridgerators and Black boxes" It don't get much uglier than that.

Harry

Good story, Harry.

Uh.......this morning.

I like the way you drive

I guess that shuts me up.

Especially since I may have totaled my car Saturday. Depends on what the insurance co. says.

I am sorry to hear.... I did not mean too.... I was in an accident not to long ago. Are, you okay, well you are okay enough to type this so hopefully you are.