Picked up a pair of Cornwalls - repair help or for sale to upgrade?

Hello Everyone,

I recently joined the Klipsch fold by picking up a pair of Cornwalls from a friend moving out of town. They are overall in nice shape and I've been enjoying the sound.  Aside from a few dings and scratches, the only real issue is a couple missing screws from the terminal strip, which makes connecting cables a pain.

I've cleaned up this pair a bit and they look pretty darn good.  I've been trying to decide whether to finish the job by re-doing the terminal strips or sell to upgrade.  A pair of K-Horns have been calling to me and I finally have the space.  So, a couple questions:

1) How does one remove/replace the terminal strips on Cornwalls?  Where could I pick up parts for this that are original or close enough so that it won't spoil the look of the speakers?

2) If I decide to sell, what's the going price for a set of nice sounding and OK-looking Cornwalls?  Anyone out there interested in downgrading from Klipschorns to a pair of Cornwalls?

Thanks for any help!
Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to take the backs off to get to the nuts securing the terminal strip from the inside.

Yeh, if you've got space for Khorns, you would probably enjoy them immensely.

On CW price, there is a pretty broad range depending mostly on condition. I'd suggest to browse the advanced search on Ebay for closed items to see what they have been going for lately.

Bob - Those are an exact match!  When I look at the terminals, I think the only part missing from mine are the screws to tighten down the cables.  I didn't realize the tips of the mounting screws should be exposed like that.  Do you happen to know the specs of the small screws (thread pitch, length)?

Bill - I'm located in New Jersey just outside of NYC.  The tags read as follows:

Klipsch Cornwall Loudspeaker System
Type: CWLS
Serial: 30X773 / 30X774
The copyright date is 1980 on the tag, so I assume the production date is sometime in the early 80s.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.  Thanks everyone.

Correct; 1983.

Here's the data which available at this moment.

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947	### 001 	         	(ending #021)

1948-1961 #### 0121 (starting #0121)

1962-1983 ##letter#### 20Y1234

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### 89281234

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### 135791234

1998-2000 YY WW #### 00281234

1962-1983 Letter format

A = 1962 	F = 1967 	K = 1972 	R = 1977 	X = 1982

B = 1963 G = 1968 L = 1973 S = 1978 Y = 1983

C = 1964 H = 1969 M = 1974 T = 1979

D = 1965 I = 1970 N = 1975 U = 1980

E = 1966 J = 1971 P = 1976 W = 1981

NOTES 

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY= day of the year

YY=year (i.e. 99,00)

Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

WW=week of the year

Bob - Those are an exact match!  When I look at the terminals, I think the only part missing from mine are the screws to tighten down the cables.  I didn't realize the tips of the mounting screws should be exposed like that.  Do you happen to know the specs of the small screws (thread pitch, length)?

Bill - I'm located in New Jersey just outside of NYC.  The tags read as follows:

Klipsch Cornwall Loudspeaker System
Type: CWLS
Serial: 30X773 / 30X774
The copyright date is 1980 on the tag, so I assume the production date is sometime in the early 80s.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.  Thanks everyone.

I think those screws are 6 - 32, 1/4 inch length.

Bob

Sorry I had to be silly here...

" I've been trying to decide whether to finish the job by re-doing the terminal strips or sell to upgrade." Naw those ternminal stips are a pain in the you knwo what.. Sell your speakers immediately to me for 100 a pair.. deilverd to my door... hahahahahaha

Just kidding..

Bob has the part... take advantage of it.. or go to partsexpress.com too.. Adding new terminals will not degrade anything for a potential buyer, nor hurt anything in your own listening enjoyment. IMO..

Sorry I had to be silly here...

" I've been trying to decide whether to finish the job by re-doing the terminal strips or sell to upgrade."  Naw those ternminal stips are a pain in the you knwo what.. Sell your speakers immediately to me for 100 a pair.. deilverd to my door... hahahahahaha 

Just kidding..

Bob has the part... take advantage of it.. or go to partsexpress.com too.. Adding new terminals will not degrade anything for a potential buyer, nor hurt anything in your own listening enjoyment.  IMO..

Indy,

I re-read my own words and they do sound a bit idiotic.

I was trying to summarize two questions in the subject line - first, to ask how to correctly repair the terminals.  Then, also to find out what the CWs are worth and whether there was someone with some KHorns looking to downgrade to CWs plus some dough.  Or perhaps a straight up sale to buy the KHorns.  I have a tolerant wife and (as of yet) no kids so I need to sneak the good toys in now.

Bob,

I'm going to try to find matching screws here.  If I can't, I'll be looking for a set of those terminals.

Bill,

Still working on the pictures - just got home.

Stephen