Receiver recommendation

stephenp1983

We have a set of synergy f-3's, S-3's C-3, and 12 inch sub that we are wanting a receiver for. I went into best buy today thinking I was going to buy the pioneer VSX-1016TX, however the bestbuy sales person recommended the Harmon Kardon

AVR-247 instead saying it was much better than the pioneer. They were even recommending the yamaha over the pioneer as well. Now I know power isn't everything, but pioneer seems to have alot more per channel that the harmon receiver. Which would be best for these set of speakers. We also looked at the dennon avr-1907, however it doesn't have hdmi which we really wanted.

Alot of HT stores have rooms setup to audition HT gear...recommend you sit through some sessions that opt with different gear combos.

Check on line reviews for the models you indicate.

HK tends to be conversative in their amp ratings. I suspect it actually has much more power than you think it does. Other manufacturers (and I believe I'd count Sony and Pioneer among them) tend to publish ratings that may not reflect the unit in more typical use (such as all channels driven, or power only at a specific frequency range). Do not let the power rating deter you.

As suggested, give a listen to the units if possible, or be sure of a good exchange/refund policy. Really, until you listen in your home, you'll have no way of knowing which sounds best to you. I believe some find the Pioneer units to sound a little bright with Klipsch speakers (but YMMV, of course).

I don't think that the Pioneer receiver is high current like the HK or Yamaha. I spent a long time picking out a receiver and for me I found that Denon was the best value. I had a Pioneer receiver before and it doesn't even compare to my Denon. The Denon definitely has more power. Also try to find a better place than Best Buy for electronics. Sure they sell all these good brands but they tend to only sell their lower end stuff. Hope this helps a bit.