Spring Is In The Air..... Watch Your Step

Gilbert

It taste's like sage and dirt.

It's not only the snakes you need to worry about though, black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, huge yellow jacket wasps, tarantula killing wasps, and trap door tarantula's also readily inhabit the area. If those don't get you the thorn plants and prickly pear cacti will. C'mon down sometime and we'll see how brave you are.

What a wonderful place to live.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not only the snakes you need to worry about though, black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, huge yellow jacket wasps, tarantula killing wasps, and trap door tarantula's also readily inhabit the area. If those don't get you the thorn plants and prickly pear cacti will. C'mon down sometime and we'll see how brave you are.

Yeah, but we've got these!

And they LIVE in your lawn!

And there's MILLIONS of them!

And they won't go away no matter what you do!

Oh it's horrible let me tell you....

You have my sympathy.

From more than 35 years of living, eating and breathing South Texas brush country, and just a few years of catching and selling snakes.

You ate South Texas brush?

What did it taste like?

Absolutley..... The Chapote bush has very tasty berrys, even Coyotillo is good if properly perpared, but if eaten straight from the bush it will make you sick, similar to cashews, they must be cooked.

The Pitaya cactus, the PinCushion cactus and Pricklly Pair all produce very deliciouslly tasty fruit. The Pita flower is huge, and taste like cabage, very popular in my home brush country. You can buy many of these things in the local markets, even HEB, their called Nopalitos, and Tunas. Very delicious. The roots of the Goya, the leaves of Salido, excellent. There are many, many more edible bush berry's, cactus fruit, and roots. More than I could ever explain or teach you about, but .... for someone like you,.... I suggest you stick to the supermarket and not experiecne life in another way.

As for talking with snakes, you are obviously completely ignorant to the fact that all a nimals display what is commonly refered to as body language. If you can't or don't understand this fact, what is the point of my carrying this discussion any further. You are oviously a mere antagonist, to which I would gladly oblige you, bring it on tough guy.

Though I can't disagree with your inference as to the harshness of the South Texas bush country, it does take an open mind to see the beauty hidden within places like this.

[

As for talking with snakes, you are obviously completely ignorant to the fact that all a nimals display what is commonly refered to as body language. If you can't or don't understand this fact, what is the point of my carrying this discussion any further. You are oviously a mere antagonist, to which I would gladly oblige you, bring it on tough guy.

We are all ignorant, only on different subjects. I don't mind being ignorant about animal body language.

If I can't or don't understand this fact, then what is wrong with you helping me our and educating me?

I am not an antagonist. But I do try to be humorous and make this forum interesting.

As far as bringing it on................. I would be very careful saying that to a guy named ROC.!!!!!!

Though I can't disagree with your inference as to the harshness of the South Texas bush country, it does take an open mind to see the beauty hidden within places like this.

Somehow I just knew that you would say this.

Why's that? .... or is this what you call another humorous statment?

If I can't or don't understand this fact, then what is wrong with you helping me our and educating me?

Because your responses to things you know nothing about are not stated as questions, they're stated as point blank, one way and argumentative. Or at least that is how they are interpreted.

I am not an antagonist. But I do try to be humorous and make this forum interesting.

You most certainly are, whether you are capable of seeing it or not. Humor?... Which opening statement was that, I think everybody, including myself missed it.

As far as bringing it on................. I would be very careful saying that to a guy named ROC.!!!!!!

[|-)] yea yea yea [|-)], and you just proved my point.

Gilbert,

Those pictures are really something........the farthest south I've ever been is is Atlanta. Looks really dry and the height of the brush can really keep you from seeing whats in front of you, probably a good place for all kinds of critters to live.

Because your responses to things you know nothing about are not stated as questions, they're stated as point blank, one way and argumentative. Or at least that is how they are interpreted.

You most certainly are, whether you are capable of seeing it or not. Humor?... Which opening statement was that, I think everybody, including myself missed it.

Thank you for all of your comments. You are helping me to see how someone else perceives me.

I am sorry that you feel this way about me. If we met, we might become best friends. Who knows.

I wonder if your opinion is exclusively yours or if others feel this way.

You've been hanging with the snakes too long. (here I go again)

We have black snakes that live in the crawl space under our house. I figure they keep the mice away and I've only killed one over the years. Occasionally I'll go in the crawl space and find a skin or two. They're usually about 6 to 8 feet long.

Once my son turned on the light switch that is about 2 inches from the crawl space opening and when the light came on he saw a huge black snake that must have been 4 inches or less from his hand. He ran screaming up the stairs. It was hilarious.

Several years ago I was visiting my parents in rural SE Pennsylvania. They had combination bathroom/laundryroom in their basement. One day while I was using the "facilities," I happened to glance over to the left & saw about two feet of blacksnake dangling from the hole where the water pipes went up through the ceiling. The snake pulled itself back up into the ceiling as soon as it saw me.

When I told my Father that they had a blacksnake cruising around inside their walls, his only comment was "don't tell your Mother."

James

Several years ago I was mowing grass for the Girl Scouts at one of their camps along the fence line on a small average size riding mower. I stopped when I saw about a 12" section of a black colored snake to see what it was up to. After it passed right in front of me and through the fence it appeared to be at least 6' long and I was assuming it was harmless. If that fence wasnt between me and the snake I probably would have taken it down into camp and given a the girls something unusual to look at, at least around central Indianapolis. Still not sure but later I heard even though those black snakes are not poisonous, they still have teeth.......OUCH! [:o] [:P]

In eighth grade, on a class camping trip to the Eastern Washington
Dunes, we found rattlesnakes. A large one was discovered near camp, and
one of the teachers intentionally provoked it. Using a folded lawn
chair as a screen, he bothered the snake until it struck the chair, and
then quickly chopped the snake's head off with a shovel while the snake
was still extended from striking. The snake was hung in the crook of a
tree, but kept trying to escape, without it's head!

Later, the snake was grilled for anyone that wanted to try it. Kind of like greasy chicken, with lots of little bones.

Thank you for all of your comments. You are helping me to see how someone else perceives me.

I am sorry that you feel this way about me. If we met, we might become best friends. Who knows.

I wonder if your opinion is exclusively yours or if others feel this way.

Well....just remember, you spent the dime and asked the question.........

The mere fact that you post over & over & over & over in every imaginable thread on this forum and, more times than not, have nothing to offer other than what amounts to "Yeah - me too", puts you squarely into the "post *****" category. Don't get me wrong, we all have from time-to-time chimed in and done the same, but you dude take the cake.

Tom

Tom,

after 58 items on this thread it's time to add my "snake" story............I live in Arkansas and in my college days(last century around 1975) I was with a friend outside of Hot Springs. We had gone to check on another friends property while he was out of town, it was a beautiful fall day so we decided to take a walk around some of the fields before heading home, unfortunately I ended up in the hospital...........

On the way back to my car I decided to take a short cut, my famous last words "this looks a little snakey" fell on deaf ears.. I stepped over a log on top of a copper head and he bit me on the ankle right above my tennis shoe......I thought that once I got to the hospital they would give me some anti-venom and I could head home, but it didn't work out that way.......the swelling went from my toes to mid-thigh and it got so bad it felt like my skin was going to tear.....after about 3 hours I told the nurse the pain was unbearable and I needed something ....her only reply was all you have to do is ask....as a college man I didn't realize the hospital never offers pain meds unless you ask first......duh, now thats a valuable lesson.

Well after a week in the hospital I finally got to head home. The Dr. told me it was the worst bite he had seen in years, I evidently caught the mother load of snake venom. I honestly still couldn't walk but had to get out of there.................

Later.......Steve