Klipsch RP5's

ATLDiver

Everyone,

Thanks so far for the advise, I'm glad I found this site. I tried getting some advise from audioreview.com but instead I got a lot of advise why not to use Klipsch speakers. I've looked around and only the PSB Gold's sounded better for both music and HT than the Reference line and were talking double the money.

Ok so far I've gathered I need to get speakers to match the C7 center, since I'm really sold on the reference line I guess I'll have to get the matching center. However can someone tell me their opinions of the RP5's? I come from the school of thought that it's better to have a separate sub but I'd like your thoughts?

Sean

Your school is likely popular here, too. It allows better placement to control for environmental effects. Some here like their powered towers, though. I guess it depends on your room, and what kind of deal you can negotiate. As for me, I like a sub seperate from the mains. One other consideration for powered towers is the WAF. Gee honey, we don't need an ugly sub if you let me buy these nice tall speakers.....

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

The RP's will probably be better for HT than for music use.Also according to whether you prefer the more forward sound provided by most Klipsch speakers as compared to a slightly warmer sound.Go listen.

Decide which fronts you like first,then buy the matching center speaker.If you just MUST have the C-7,audition the Legend series(if possible).If you like the Reference line then buy the matching Reference center.

Save money,buy the correct speakers the first time around.

Keith

Why are you so set on the KC-7 Center channel? You have asked for advice, and everyone tells you differently, but it seems you are still set on this center channel? Why? If you have to have that center channel, then do as Keith said, get different mains and don't get the reference series. The match won't be correct, and you will be either buying a new center speaker or new mains. Just trying to save you the headache.

As far as the RP-5s go, I had them for about 1 week. They sounded great in the store, but once I got these huge beasts into my room, the bass was awful. Since the subs are side firing, you have to have plenty of space on the sides of the woofers. In my setup, they were right up against walls, and the bass just sounded totally wrong. Lots of low end bump, but no mid bass punch. It's like there was a gap between the midrange and bass. Instead I got the RB-5s (same exact horn and midrange) matched with a KSW-12. I have since sold the KSW-12 and now have a Velodyne SPL-1200 subwoofer. With this setup the bass is tight and quick, and I have the RB-5s toed in and aimed directly at me - the highs and mids sound sweet. I have the RC-3 center matched with this, and let me tell you, the soundstage in DPLII Music is incredible from my Denon 3802.

One other school of thought is that the best location for the mids and highs is usually the worst location for the bass. So you don't want to limit your bass response for the highs, or vice versa. Also notice that Klipsch stopped making these speakers. They realized that powered speakers was not what they were wanting to do. And if you decide that you want more bass (which you probably will) you will end up going out and getting a seperate sub anyway. And then you will have 3 subs in the room (2 not optimally placed) fighting with each other, cancelling and peaking - creating very uneven bass. Not to mention that you just wasted $1000 on subs in the towers that didn't make you happy, and you are stuck with them.

Also, the RP-5s have a high pass crossover (not defeatable) of 90 Hz for the mids. If your receiver only has an 80 Hz crossover, you are creating a small gap there, where the sound may have a dip between 80 and 90 Hz, and there will be nothing you can do about it.

If you have lots of room, and just want big impressive looking speakers, then the RP-5s are for you. But if your room is limited, the RB-5s will give you the same mid and high's, and a seperate sub will most likely give you better bass. Plus integration and placement are a lot easier.

I hope this helps.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

Well,not to disagree with bacevedo but I have 7 KSP300's(using 4) in my living room along with two other Klipsch subs.I've had them for a year.My intent when buying these speakers was for HT use.They sound wonderful.They do not have the brightness that Klipsch speakers are known for,but hardly ever talked about.From time to time I drag my KG5.5's into the room and wire them for front L/R use and am reminded why I bought the powered towers.DTS and DVD-Audio are equally impressive.I never read the powered subwoofer section of the BB.The key is proper set-up.Takes longer than a week,unless you are young.I have never owned the RP5's so I can't give you any first hand info regarding them.I can tell you not to dismiss the RP's without trying them for yourself.They are wireable and adjustable nine ways to hell.

If you just can't decide,buy a pair of KHorns.But then again,it appears Klipsch has stopped making them.Good luck!

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned my RP5s for about 7 months.

These speakers are both look and sound excellent and could not be happier with them.

My center channel speaker is the JBL S Center. This is a 3 way center and I have to admit also sounds great.

I know this is the Klipsch forum, does what is your opinions about matching my RP5's with the JBL S Center Speaker and what would be a better rear speaker the Klipsch RB3 or the Klipsch RS3 II

Thanks

Steve

Well steve,you asked for opinions,so here is mine.

Buy the matching Reference center.

If primarily interested in HT,use the RS-3 surrounds and maybe the RB-3 for rear center(6.1).

For primary music listening,use the RB-3's for surrounds(the RS-3 will be OK for multi-channel music,too).

Just my opinion.

Keith