The beast is done

banasikdrummer

So even though there's a good chance no one cares about this, I figured I could put up some pictures of the box for my new 15" TC-2000 that I just finished up today.

IMG_0653.jpg
This was before painting...

IMG_0655.jpg
...and after.

IMG_0658.jpg
You can go ahead and make fun of my amateur paint job if you wish...

IMG_0660.jpg

Now, I know that I'll probably get yelled at for having my sub pointing directly into a bed...but that's the only place I have the space for it in my bedroom. That last picture was mainly there to give people an idea of how much space the sub takes up.

I want to thank the forum for helpin' me out these last three months or so in acquiring what I'd consider a pretty amazing system for a nineteen-year-old college kid. And just in case you were wondering...the sub sounds amazing. During the Omaha Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan, my dad came in, angered by the fact that things were shaking in his bedroom. I think my mission has been accomplished...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good [Y]

What kind of amp did you end up going with? And how do you keep the bed from touching the front of the driver? Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks like you can slap that woofer up against the bed if you drive it hard.

Sweet.... how's the BKA working out for ya?

The BKA is working out fine. During some woofer excursion tests, I was afraid to actually put the amp on full, because the woofer looked beastly enough. I wouldn't want to over-work it its first night.

Looks good Yes

What
kind of amp did you end up going with? And how do you keep the bed from
touching the front of the driver? Maybe it's the camera angle, but it
looks like you can slap that woofer up against the bed if you drive it
hard.

I went with the BKA1000-4A, which pushes it fine. The bed is about four inches away from the driver, which is more than it can move, so I should be fine. I did have to move the bed out from where it was, though, 'cause before, the driver would've beat my bed down during every movie.

HA HA

At the paint job...[:D]

Where is the bracing? [:'(]

Where is the countersinking of binding post and driver..? [:'(][:'(]

Good work anyway [;)]

I know the paint job is kinda crappy, but oh well...if people make fun of how it looks, I'll just turn it up, and they won't care that some spots are covered more heavily in paint. For the bracing, though, I built an inside frame from 2x2s with the outside dimensions of 10x20x36, then cut my MDF to fit together with those dimensions as the inside. The frame itself seemed pretty damn solid, then with the addition of my glue and the massive amounts of screws I held the MDF in place with, I think I'll be fine.

As for the countersinking....I didn't feel like it, haha. Does countersinking actually help it out that much?

looks good. Uh though did you put your surround speakers as back speakers? or are those 6 and channel 7?

My RS-7s are used as my rear surrounds. When I watch movies, my back is to those, and I have my RF-35s and RC-7 a tad in front of me. I know....way too many speakers in a small space. Just to give you an idea of how small my listening area is, here's a picture from the front of the bed to the mains:

IMG_0602.jpg

Some day, I'll talk my parents into letting me take up a whole room with these...or maybe I can talk them into letting me use the living room. Oh well...I'm completely fine with my stuff how it is now, just because these blow my old computer speakers out of the water.

Uh though did you put your surround speakers as back speakers?

Sometimes you just gotta put 'em where you have the space. It's not that uncommon for people to put their surrounds in back in a 5.1 system.

With those speakers, and the way they're designed, I'm sure they work fine back there. I would spread 'em as wide as possible, though.

Uh though did you put your surround speakers as back speakers?

Sometimes you just gotta put 'em where you have the space. It's not that uncommon for people to put their surrounds in back in a 5.1 system.

With those speakers, and the way they're designed, I'm sure they work fine back there. I would spread 'em as wide as possible, though.

They work entirely fine, and they'll continue to be my rears for the next few years, until I can afford to buy RF-7s to use as my mains, then put the RF-35s as the rears and the RS-7s as the sides for my 7.1. But for $900 for all my main speakers, I wasn't going to complain about having these as rears.

Some day, I'll talk my parents into letting me take up a whole room with these...or maybe I can talk them into letting me use the living room. Oh well...I'm completely fine with my stuff how it is now, just because these blow my old computer speakers out of the water.

What you need to do is just set everything up in the living room while the parents are asleep or outta the house. At least it worked when I was still living at home. [;)]

What you need to do is just set everything up in the living room while
the parents are asleep or outta the house. At least it worked when I
was still living at home. Wink

Judging just by the sub alone, I don't think I can do anything while they're trying to sleep, since the sub completely destroys everything. I'm pretty sure they hate me because of it, going from the fact that my dad came in during the car crash scene of Fight Club and tried talking to me (to no avail) about how the sub was too loud and I was "going to go deaf."

Does the RC7 fit in the shelf directly below the TV?

No...it really sucks. The shelf is like, an inch too short, so it has to go on the bottom for right now. I just have it at +2 on the Denon to compensate for its crappy position. Again, I bought all this stuff for when I'm going to move out, and when I'll be able to properly set it all up. I just couldn't let the sweet deals go by, so I picked 'em all up early...and I've no regrets about it.

What you need to do is just set everything up in the living room while the parents are asleep or outta the house. At least it worked when I was still living at home. [;)]

.....and put some soothing music on when your parents return home. Offer them a drink and a comfortable seat. Offer to do the dishes for them. They will come around.

Killer bedroom system, was expecting to see some ladies on your bed with a system like that. You know.. just studying of course.

My friends told me I need to bring girls over here to watch movies, then they'll realize that the only place ti sounds better is in the theater, so they'll keep wanting to come back. It sounds pretty foolproof to me...although the "sweet spot" can't be achieved if I'm lying on the bed in a position compatible with a lady's presence...

Killer bedroom system, was expecting to see some ladies on your bed with a system like that. You know.. just studying of course.

My friends told me I need to bring girls over here to watch movies, then they'll realize that the only place ti sounds better is in the theater, so they'll keep wanting to come back. It sounds pretty foolproof to me...although the "sweet spot" can't be achieved if I'm lying on the bed in a position compatible with a lady's presence...

Oh the "sweet spot" can be achieved alright.