I have RF 7 speakers. If they are out of phase??

zuzu

Couple of questions first.

1. Is your concern about the polarity of Left vs Right?

2. Is your concern about Woofer vs Midrange?

3. You say these are bi-wired, are they also bi-amped?

4. Are you using the Klipsch crossover or have you add something?

Until these questions are answered, be careful of any advice given since it may be incomplete or contain some assumptions.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Well that makes it easier. I assume that you hooked things up correctly (and consistently) when you installed the 2 crossovers. I also assume that Dean manufactured these correctly (a safe assumption)

If you are worried that there was a hiccup somewhere, then play some recordings with a male vocalist and stand exactly between the two speakers. If you have a "mono switch" on your pre-amp this test will work even better, but most voices (main vocalist) are mixed to be centered anyway (no stereo separation). If they are in phase, then there should be a compact (not diffuse) image that is located in the center (in front of your nose) between the speakers. If you are uncertain, try swapping the connections (as you described) to get sense of what a "diffuse" (out of phase) image is like.

This test will not work if you are not located between the speakers (exactly) or if your room has some gross asymmetries. Listen only to the vocalists and ignore the location of the other instruments.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks Tom. I"m playing stereophile's test cd 2 and they have white noise in phase and out of phase. In phase the sound is to be centered and out of phase spread out. My speakers flunked the test. I just switched the speaker cables at the amp and now the sound is centered as it should be when the noise is in phase. Been listening to out of phase for 3 years. YIKES. Thanks Soooo much for your wise timely response. I will do the male voice thing later today as you suggested.

Wow zuzu. You will have a big smile on your face for a few days listening to the great sound, especially with dean's network upgrade. Post in a few days your new impressions when you get everything calibrated.

Good news is that with the speakers in proper phase the bass will not suffer the loss from cancelation.

Bad news is that with the increased bass you may have to redo the testing, placement, room treatment, other adjustments all over again.

Glad you're back in phase... it makes a nice big difference, no?

I don't mess with the wiring on the PCB's, and it all only goes back together one way. It would take great effort to make a mistake. It's even impossible to screw up the connections to the woofers, since the male connectors for positive and negative are different sizes (the female disconnect for negative won't fit over the postive tab on the driver). The only place a mistake could be made is with reconnection of the horn driver, where if you don't observe the factory mark on the postive spring loaded terminal -- and inadvertantly connect the negative wire to it.